3 1.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 404849505152 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I don't think that's a worthwhile way to go if you think people should change for the better.
    My assumption is even most religious people will be forced to admit they don't truly accept the Bible's position on homosexuality. I seriously doubt most anti-gay marriage people would support genocide.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

But doing that is attacking their base religious beliefs. I think most of the time it needs to be done in a more careful way.

I like the idea that "all religions are accepted as marriages even if they don't have the same beliefs."

Not: If you really follow the Bible you should kill homosexuals.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

But doing that is attacking their base religious beliefs. I think most of the time it needs to be done in a more careful way.

I like the idea that "all religions are accepted as marriages even if they don't have the same beliefs."

Not: If you really follow the Bible you should kill homosexuals.
    That's probably fair (the core idea of "you deviate from this part of the Bible, but follow this one" is the same, however). Though I'm not optimistic either approach is actually going to work, based on my own and others experiences with people who oppose gay marriage. I've never heard of anyone being converted strictly through debate.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yes but most people debate the same way over and over. Hearing "tolerance" or "homophobe" just gets old and doesn't really even mean anything.

Tolerance means "change your views" which is perfectly fine but people don't say what they mean.

Ok, I know what I'm trying to say. It's finding a way to let people change their minds while saving face.

Tolerance means "change your views" which is perfectly fine but people don't say what they mean.
    That's neither accurate or fine.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

So what is an accurate definition of what "be tolerant" means when it's toward people who don't believe that being gay is "right"?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

What you're talking about, in fairness, might be more accurately described as "acceptance." Tolerance is really more along the lines of "you can disagree or dislike, but you can't bully or deny rights." It's about respecting people who differ from you and allowing them to have their rights as you have your's, not forcing yourself to change your mind.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    What you're talking about, in fairness, might be more accurately described as "acceptance." Tolerance is really more along the lines of "you can disagree or dislike, but you can't bully or deny rights." It's about respecting people who differ from you and allowing them to have their rights as you have your's, not forcing yourself to change your mind.
    Decent response. There's some humility involved too, and the capability to look at something objectively even if you personally don't happen to like it. Realistically, this should be a situation where people should be able to stake out their own turf and leave the rest to others, but for some reason, one side wants to own all the turf.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Did you just compare gays to retarded people?

I'll overlook this as "Fe is my worst function, I didn't mean it, I swear" instead of "I'm an INTJ and I thought that was meanly hilarious."

As for people caring how other people live their lives, some people seem to authentically believe that there's something about "the gay agenda" that's going to spread, like it's a disease. It's like they think that gays are going to dominate the culture and come for their own children and their friends' children?

They see it as something that is evangelical, for whatever reason, they are either ignorant or refuse to accept that there's a sound biological basis for homosexuality in various species.
    No, I was not comparing gays to retarded people. I was comparing the relative comfort I have around gays to the relative comfort I have around retarded people - I see neither as a "lesser," however, I simply am not as comfortable around either as I am around "normal" people (though I'd probably be more comfortable around a gay person than a retarded person - again, it's not like either freak me out or anything, I simply feel a little awkward around both).

Riva

I should get in to the habit of reading and participating in my own threads.

Edit -

Huh I atleast got to make the 500th post.

Edit 2 -

Carry on people.

Eidt 3 -

Dammit Fireshield beat me to the 500th post.

Edit 4 -

Haha @FireShield98 Amanda is going to be pissed that you ventured in to some other thread.