Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FireShield98 View Post
    I think it should be legal, but if any religious institution does not want to allow it in their church (because it's against their religion), they shouldn't have to (and then gay couples could just get civil marriages).

I honestly do not understand social conservatives (except for on the issue of abortion, though I myself am pro-choice) - I mean, personally, I am a bit homophobic (I'm not saying that I think gays are inferior or anything, or that I would treat them worse than others, it's just that, like with retarded people, I simply am not as comfortable being around them as other people - one of my best friends is bisexual, so I think I'm justified in saying that I treat non-straight people as equals), but I support legalizing gay marriage and stuff. I don't get why people care so much about the way other people live their own lives.
    Did you just compare gays to retarded people?

I'll overlook this as "Fe is my worst function, I didn't mean it, I swear" instead of "I'm an INTJ and I thought that was meanly hilarious."

As for people caring how other people live their lives, some people seem to authentically believe that there's something about "the gay agenda" that's going to spread, like it's a disease. It's like they think that gays are going to dominate the culture and come for their own children and their friends' children?

They see it as something that is evangelical, for whatever reason, they are either ignorant or refuse to accept that there's a sound biological basis for homosexuality in various species.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    1. I think "it's always been around" is a better argument on that one. It IS natural.

2. So basically they have to give up all their beliefs about religion to accept gay marriage? Do you see how that's not going to be an easy change? There has to be a better way to explain it.
    Well, I was more in the market of they have to justify why this belief is valid and yet all those other things, many of which are literally in the verse directly surrounding the Bible's clearest passage on homosexuality, are antiquated.

That doesn't mean they have to give up ALL their beliefs, but I think ones that directly intercede in the way others live their lives are in need of justification, especially if it's from a portion of the book most think is utterly absurd.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Well, I was more in the market of they have to justify why this belief is valid and yet all those other things, many of which are literally in the verse directly surrounding the Bible's clearest passage on homosexuality, are antiquated.

That doesn't mean they have to give up ALL their beliefs, but I think ones that directly intercede in the way others live their lives are in need of justification, especially if it's from a portion of the book most think is utterly absurd.
    Especially if they're shaving their sideburns before they don their polyester/cotton blend golf shirt in preparation of sitting down to a shrimp dinner.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Can you phrase it so it's actually an effective argument?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It still hasn't been explained to me why gay people getting married spoils marriage for straight people. It changes the definition of marriage. How? Even if it does, why does it take all the special out of it when straight people get married?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Me? I'm paraphrasing other "not commandment but Jewish law" verses from Leviticus that have been deemed socially acceptable to ignore in the Western world by most Christians.

You know, the laws about shellfish, not blending together two kinds of material, and a man removing certain parts of his facial/head hair.

MBTI
    INTj

2. So basically they have to give up all their beliefs about religion to accept gay marriage? Do you see how that's not going to be an easy change? There has to be a better way to explain it.
    They don't need to give up their religion to accept people of other faith. The principle is the same with gay marriages.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Oh interesting. I have to think about that one. That might be workable.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm not sure "you need to justify beliefs when they intercede in the lives of others" needs justifying, but let's also say this:

And pure faith in the Bible does not reflect the idea "gay marriage is wrong," because that's not in the Bible. So they also need to justify why they're adding ideas and reinterpreting passages and why they aren't in favor of killing homosexuals (which the Bible IS for).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I don't think that's a worthwhile way to go if you think people should change for the better.