First 34424344454654 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

What's the problem with normalizing homosexuality? It should be normalized. There's no inherent danger or problem with homosexuality, the problems lie entirely with the bigots that oppose normalizing homosexuality.

My daughter will probably look back upon my generation the way I look back on previous generations and wonder why people were so afraid of their own ignorance.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

gay people can get married to a doorknob for all I care. As long as they don't try to gang rape me I'm fine.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Hey, hey, hey! Now stop it right there, MacGuffin!

To normalize homosexuality would be akin to saying that homosexual behavior is natural!

And we all know that those damn deviants are crossing God's law!

Whether they be penguins, giraffes, apes, or humans!

Homosexual behavior in animals
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For homosexuality in humans, see Homosexuality.

Homosexual behavior in animals refers to the documented evidence of homosexual and bisexual behavior in various (non-human) species. Such behaviors include sex, courtship, affection, pair bonding, and parenting among same sex animals. A 1999 review by researcher Bruce Bagemihl shows that homosexual behavior has been observed in close to 1,500 species, ranging from primates to gut worms, and is well documented for 500 of them.[1][2] Animal sexual behavior takes many different forms, even within the same species. The motivations for and implications of these behaviors have yet to be fully understood, since most species have yet to be fully studied.[3] According to Bagemihl, "the animal kingdom [does] it with much greater sexual diversity – including homosexual, bisexual and nonreproductive sex – than the scientific community and society at large have previously been willing to accept."[4] Current research indicates that various forms of same-sex sexual behavior are found throughout the animal kingdom.[5] A new review made in 2009 of existing research showed that same-sex behavior is a nearly universal phenomenon in the animal kingdom, common across species.[6] Homosexual behavior is best known from social species. According to geneticist Simon Levay in 1996, "Although homosexual behavior is very common in the animal world, it seems to be very uncommon that individual animals have a long-lasting predisposition to engage in such behavior to the exclusion of heterosexual activities. Thus, a homosexual orientation, if one can speak of such thing in animals, seems to be a rarity.[7] One species in which exclusive homosexual orientation occurs, however, is that of domesticated sheep (Ovis aries).[8][9] "About 10% of rams (males) refuse to mate with ewes (females) but do readily mate with other rams."[9]

The observation of homosexual behavior in animals can be seen as both an argument for and against the acceptance of homosexuality in humans, and has been used especially against the claim that it is a peccatum contra naturam ('sin against nature').[1] For instance, homosexuality in animals was cited in the United States Supreme Court's decision in Lawrence v. Texas which struck down the sodomy laws of 14 states.[10]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'd discuss with him, but Ti shivers every time I read Lark's replies. Being an INTP is not easy.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Obama said he supports Gay Marriage.

About time he truly said it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Homosexuality is based in physiology, which implies some evolutionary basis. The origins of this are being investigated, with some interesting lines of thought (just the tip of the iceberg). Homosexuality may be un-Catholic, un-Biblical, even un-Christian to some denominations. Claims that it is unnatural, however, seem to have no more basis than such a claim about left-handedness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It is not about procreation or increasing the congregation, it is a problem because it is asking the majority to validate the minority, which is unhealthy for each.
    No, validation and protection of minority rights is healthy and necessary for a civil, pluralistic society. Without this, blacks would still be slaves, women would still not vote, dislexic kids would fail classes, and we would have no braille signage, curb cuts, kneeling buses, etc. to help the disabled navigate the world.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    That's true, but that's not the issue religion-based objections to gay marriage are based on. You're arguing the wrong point. It's not about rights, it's about the value of marriage. If gay people are allowed to marry, then they share the same ceremony as heterosexual couples, but those who object do not believe that what they consider unlike relationships should share a like ceremony.
    However, what is being proposed is that the organically evolved social institution of marriage, a relationship between a man and a woman, which is a universal social institution and exists despite the wonderful diversity and disparity of human societies and cultures will no longer exist or will not be permitted to exist.
    Yeah, civil partnerships are fine, legal contracts? Fine too. Redefining or transforming organic social institutions which arent broken? Nope. Too far.
    So it is all about semantics, then. If two gay people want to make a lifelong commitment to each other; to have legal rights of inheritance, insurance benefits, recognition as next-of-kin in emergencies, joint custody of any children/dependents, etc. -- all that is OK, as long as we don't call it "marriage", or solemnize it using the same religious ceremony a Christian hetero couple would use? Government, fortunately, cannot dictate the ceremonies or worship of religious institutions, and I doubt gay couples would want to use the ceremony of a church that considered their union to be wrong.

It is ironic that gay people are now the ones reminding us of the significance of marriage. While straights seem so often to take it for granted, gays feel quite keenly what they are missing, much as the immigrant from a totalitarian system treasures the vote we so carelessly throw away.

By this analysis, Lark's whole objection to gay "marriage" seems the classic tale of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lanton88 View Post
    gay people can get married to a doorknob for all I care. As long as they don't try to gang rape me I'm fine.
    Wow, your support for gay marriage is somehow more offensive than most people's arguments against it.

So you basically think of gay people like Mel Gibson thinks of black people? Roving rape gangs?
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Wow, your support for gay marriage is somehow more offensive than most people's arguments against it.

So you basically think of gay people like Mel Gibson thinks of black people? Roving rape gangs?
    I'm just so sick of this topic. It's so over played in the media, that I wish gay people would all just get married and go away.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Obama said he supports Gay Marriage.

About time he truly said it.
    I dislike that he was forced to say it so early. I think it'll hurt him a tad w independents. Hopefully it's so early in the campaign it'll blow over.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I dislike that he was forced to say it so early. I think it'll hurt him a tad w independents. Hopefully it's so early in the campaign it'll blow over.
    I'm ok with that, I think his base really needed some welcoming boost. I mean, even in California, where you'd expect us to vote for Obama, we're sort of out of it. I mean, even I wanted some boost to know that he is still there.

And him saying that is just a small ounce of that boost.