First 30383940414250 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Homosexuals have civil rights as distinct from heterosexuals or, you know, individuals?
    No, they don't. They are prohibited from entering marriage contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I respect your church and what you say about your church -- I won't argue with you there, as I am not equipped.

But the beginning makes my jaw drop. You're saying homosexuals go around encouraging people to experiment with homosexuality in a way that heterosexuals do not. REALLY?? Homosexuals are not encouraged by heterosexuals to experiment with heterosexuality? Do you want to think about this again? (please do)

Not at all trying to encourage ridicule, etc., no bad motives, begging your pardon in advance if it seems that way, just interested in discussing this in depth because you boggle my mind.

P.S. It is ignorant. It is ignorant about homosexual people. I don't mean to insult you but I do mean to state what I see as a fact, in the hopes you might reconsider some of your ideas which I believe to be wrong and possibly harmful.
    Well, in the spirit of full dialogue I acknowledge what you're saying but believe exactly the converse, I believe much more harm is being done by the spread of homosexual norms and popularising of homosexuality. You are aware that the argument about ignorance is casually deployed on almost every topic, the idea that at the heart of every difference of opinion is a deficiency of understanding upon the part of the person not in agreement with you doesnt seem a little insulting or conceited?

I wouldnt consider anyone ignorant automatically in a disagreement, some people are highly schooled in a particular perspective and dont give the alternative point of view much thought.

I dont believe that there is much in the way of seeking to "persuade" homosexuals to "adopt" or "be" heterosexual, definitely not in the media, not culturally either, infact the contra IS true, anyone who approachs a professional or adult with feelings of ambivalence about their sexual orientation is likely to be immediately bombarded with gay positive messages, not impartial acceptance of whatever choices or decisions they eventually make. I know that for a fact from some of the training received by professionals such as social workers presently. In my social scene none of the heterosexual males or females would question the sexual orientation of any of the male or female homosexual friends, at least not in their company or directly in conversation with them. The contrary is not true. And its acceptable. That's just my social circle and I'm not suggesting it is representative but I think its legitimate to bring it into the discussion.

You think there's moral equivalence between anti-racism and gay "marriage", well I cant give you points for originally but you're doing well at recycling old, bad arguments.
    Make no mistake, this is a human rights issue. There were plenty of people that thought (and some still do) that women were subhuman and did not deserve equal rights as men. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming over that hurdle. Then non-whites, especially African-Americans had to battle the same chuckleheads to be treated as equals, and they had to drag those same chuckleheads further down the road. Then interracial marriage came along --same angry mob, same overthrow. And now the homosexuals. Rinse repeat. The trans-population is close on their heels as well.

I don't fear same-sex marriage won't happen. I am certain it will be a nationally recognized right eventually. I'm just doing my part to try to move the process along a little quicker.

And you and the other screamers will then see the sun continue to rise and set and you'll realize the world has not failed to turn on its axis and all will be well.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Ah...so you do think it's catching. Or that people will have to be okay to be hit on by someone homosexual despite being heterosexual?

It seems we never learn. Times change, norms change, the unacceptable becomes acceptable and the sun still rises the next day.
    And novelty and fashion fades and the natural reasserts itself. Man is not capable of infinite adaptation.

Do you think it is also an injustice that a man can not go to sleep and in the morning when they wake be a horse?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Do you think it is also an injustice that a man can not go to sleep and in the morning when they wake be a horse?
    Ah. Now I see. Ok, I'm done here.

It has proved sufficient, though. As has been pointed out, this is largely a generational thing.
    And it's not about how you personally feel about homosexuality. You may not like it. You may be against it. That still doesn't give you the right to prevent homosexuals from seeking the benefits of legal marriage just like any other citizen.

I also would argue that experiencing confusion about your sexual identity happens to some people whether they have access to experimentation or not. Having access to experimentation without fear of condemnation or stigma could actually make it easier and quicker to sort this out.
    Yeah, I know a lot of people who arent happy about tradition think entropy will assist them in throwing it out. I'm confident that eventually human nature reasserts itself, man isnt capable of infinite adaptation. Short term pessimist, long term optimist.

I'm not in favour of prohibiting anyone from benefiting from legal contract, civil partnerships are fine.

The point which you're making about sexual identity you're making with the benefit of an upbringing which predates the norms you are optimistic about being in place for the future, no one can tell, although on the basis of similar trends, I gave the example of the ambivalence about authority and the experience of homosexuals themselves growing up with the heterosexual majorirty's norms, I dont believe universal ambivalence about sexuality will be a good thing.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

My favorite thing about @Lark is watching him so effectively demonstrate the idiocy of his position, thereby accelerating the disappearance of the world he wants to hold onto. I myself have taken up the anti-gay marriage position within the last several months on this board, and still am certain that, on a legal basis, my arguments are correct. But listening to the absolute idiocy of his position on this matter has been the single most effective agent to make me join the other side. Congratulations, Lark, you are a truly effective agent for bringing about the opposite of that which you desire.

Yeah, civil partnerships are fine, legal contracts? Fine too. Redefining or transforming organic social institutions which arent broken? Nope. Too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    My favorite thing about Lark is watching him so effectively demonstrate the idiocy of his position, thereby accelerating the disappearance of the world he wants to hold onto. I myself have taken up the anti-gay marriage position within the last several months on this board, and still am certain that, on a legal basis, my arguments are correct. But listening to the absolute idiocy of his position on this matter has been the single most effective agent to make me join the other side.

Congratulations, @Lark, you are a truly effective agent for bringing about the opposite of that which you desire.
    The fact that you're repeatedly insulting me by alledging idoicy only leads me to conclude that you're not convinced of that and have to reinforce your own opinion.

By all means keep reading my posts, I dont read any of yours. Can you guess why? Its a word you've used at least twice.