• Could tolerate gay couples, but can't tolerate gay marriages

9 5.29%
  • Can't tolerate gay marriages or couples

3 1.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 27353637383947 Last

MBTI
    yupp

the way i see it is who a person has sex with or marries doesn't affect me unless that person is me
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What church? I mean I've heard that before, many of the people arguing the homosexual side of every argument presume a certain homogenuity to those who they disagree with which is not reflective of reality, perhaps the churches have an agenda but you would have to ask them.

The homosexual agenda is just that, a political agenda which prizes homosexuality and wishes to make it normative, why that should have so much heterosexual support I am not sure but would suspect it is a consequence of so many heterosexuals having either a weak sense of identity or the abscence of a formal sexual identity and supporting those who appear to do. Its part of what I think will be a problem for generations to come. If you think the ambivalence about authority playing out now but with its roots in the past is a bitch imagine what its going to be like when is something much more fundamental like sexual attraction.
    It's not catching, Lark. It's not contagious. It's not like if I'm exposed to the idea of homosexuality, I'll become homosexual. No more than if I'm exposed to the idea of being a man, I'll become a man. People are what they are. I don't "support" homosexuality or heterosexuality. I just want people to be accepted for who they are and for people to have equal rights under the law. Marriage is a legal contract and confers certain rights and privileges. There's no reason it should be reserved for certain kinds of humans but not for others.

You think that anybody who supports the rights of people other than them secretly wishes to be those people? So if I support full civil rights for blacks, I do not have a firm sense of myself as a white person? This is making my eyes cross.

And PS -- What church? Any Christian church, but it seems to me particularly the Catholic church has a great emphasis on The Holy Family and forcefully opposes abortion rights and wants children born of the union of Catholics to receive infant baptism and for their parents to bring them up as Catholics. There's some emphasis in this way for Protestants as well but in the Protestantism that I know, not so much. (I can elaborate some if you're interested.)

And besides, homosexuality is normal. A certain percentage of people are born homosexual. This is normal. Has been happening for centuries on end.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

The way I see it, gay people getting married don't effect me so I don't give a shit. I'm all for gay marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    the way i see it is who a person has sex with or marries doesn't affect me unless that person is me
    The most sensible thing I've heard all day. It is absolutely astounding how many people think it's their business to interfere with other people's sexual and romantic lives with other consenting adults just because they don't like it.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    The only reason I can see that "gay marriage" obliterates the meaning of "marriage" is if you believe that sexual activity should serve the purpose of conceiving children, that sex is only allowed in marriage, so the purpose of marriage is to have children. TO POPULATE THE CHURCH.

See the brainwashing involved here?

If, by contrast, you believe that sexual activity is natural and healthy and for consenting adults who consciously choose whether or not to procreate, then marriage means that two people pledge themselves to one another for life. What can be wrong with that? Why should anyone want to interfere?
    I'll explain again what's wrong with that.

For generations marriage has meant a relationship between a man and woman, that was considered and is still considered legitimate by the majority. It probably always will be the case whether the state legislates a different meaning or not.

A minority wishes to change this, there would appear to be a lot of reasons, vague or confused understandings of equality, rights, obligations to making people, particularly minorities, happy. However, the real reason is to validate the choices and life they are living, one of same sex attraction. Marriage has been equated with the feeling of love, not with its objective meaning of a relationship between a man and woman, so persons of a same sex choosing to have sex and equating that with feelings of love believe they should be able to "marry".

It is not about procreation or increasing the congregation, it is a problem because it is asking the majority to validate the minority, which is unhealthy for each.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    The most sensible thing I've heard all day. It is absolutely astounding how many people think it's their business to interfere with other people's sexual and romantic lives with other consenting adults just because they don't like it.
    Yes, they should stop trying to change the definition of marriage and compell heterosexuals to accept them and instead just go and live their lives.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I think we should repay Lark's unending efforts in some way. We cannot rescue his world: it is drowning and will never resurface. But we can console him, perhaps shed a tear for a life dedicated to futility.

Camus is proud of you, Lark.
    Nic, what is the sound of one hand clapping?

It sounds a lot like the impact of your posts.

It is not about procreation or increasing the congregation, it is a problem because it is asking the majority to validate the minority, which is unhealthy for each.
    Thank goodness the abolitionists didn't agree. Every majority was a minority at some point. This is not faulty logic, this is the absence of logic.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Lark is concerned about society as a whole, and if his bizarre belief that homosexuals want to make everybody homosexual were true, he would even have reason to be concerned. As it is, he is just a loud person fighting his own illusions.

Yes, they should stop trying to change the definition of marriage and compell heterosexuals to accept them and instead just go and live their lives.
    How dare they want to be treated as equals? The nerve!