Multiple Choice Poll.
First 26343536373846 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    That's true, but that's not the issue religion-based objections to gay marriage are based on. You're arguing the wrong point. It's not about rights, it's about the value of marriage. If gay people are allowed to marry, then they share the same ceremony as heterosexual couples, but those who object do not believe that what they consider unlike relationships should share a like ceremony.

To them, it's as if a man were allowed to enter the Miss America pageant. They think two things:

1. "Why do you even want to be here? Are you trolling us?"
    2. "When men are allowed to enter the Miss America pageant, identifying as a woman becomes a farce because all the characteristics we've associated with being a woman have been rendered invalid."

So it's not that they are afraid their rights are being infringed. It just makes them feel like their own marriage is devalued if the definition of marriage is expanded to the point where it becomes meaningless.
    There is no fear involved, religious objections will be made on the basis of violation of religious doctrines, usually the prohibition of homosexual acts in scriptures or natural law philosophy. It is not about devaluing marriage, which along with other things was branded "heterosexism" by the homosexual paranoics who ranted and raved about a "heterosexual dictatorship" and developed "queer theory" and attacked heteronormativity, they took a highly unique, personal life history and transformed that into a political message, which has to be one of the most sad footnotes in history, the ultimate "no, its not all this, it really is just you" moment but no one was prepared to tell them so.

Do you know what newspeak is? Here's a wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak.

This is why the campaign for gay "marriage" is wrongful, it is the destruction of words, in a very real sense the undermining of the meaning of words and by extention the norms and values and mores which accompany them. There's no fear in that either, it is just a simple fact that ideas and actions have consequences and most often these are not foreseen or anticipated or prepared for where hopes and optimism will suffice in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is why the campaign for gay "marriage" is wrongful, it is the destruction of words, in a very real sense the undermining of the meaning of words and by extention the norms and values and mores which accompany them.
    Which is pretty much a distillation of exactly what I said. Thanks for playing, though.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Makes sense; gay marriage seems to fit perfectly into a consumerist mentality of market societies when you think about it.
    I certainly think so, one of the greatest criticisms of how it has evolved I read in a book called The Age of Absurdity which used an existentialist/absurdist criticism of contemporary society to explain why it is difficult to be happy, he suggested that the reverence for potential in popular ideology and consumerist mores and norms left people terrified about the path not taken or any perceived limits to choices.

From that basis its easy to see how capitalist consumerism coheres perfectly with "gay conservatism".

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Which is pretty much a distillation of exactly what I said. Thanks for playing, though.
    If you believe that you have either not been paying attention or have not understood what I was posting.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Ah, you just answered my question.

Anyone, where's the paranoid smiley?
    I must have missed your question.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Which would make sense if the homosexual agenda has ever been about simply going their own way and doing their own thing, minding their own business. It has never been. Its exactly the problem I have with it.

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Sniffles

I certainly think so, one of the greatest criticisms of how it has evolved I read in a book called The Age of Absurdity which used an existentialist/absurdist criticism of contemporary society to explain why it is difficult to be happy, he suggested that the reverence for potential in popular ideology and consumerist mores and norms left people terrified about the path not taken or any perceived limits to choices.

From that basis its easy to see how capitalist consumerism coheres perfectly with "gay conservatism".
    Haven't read that book, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

The only reason I can see that "gay marriage" obliterates the meaning of "marriage" is if you believe that sexual activity should serve the purpose of conceiving children, that sex is only allowed in marriage, so the purpose of marriage is to have children. TO POPULATE THE CHURCH.

See the brainwashing involved here?

If, by contrast, you believe that sexual activity is natural and healthy and for consenting adults who consciously choose whether or not to procreate, then marriage means that two people pledge themselves to one another for life. What can be wrong with that? Why should anyone want to interfere?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Please do elaborate on "the homosexual agenda." That phrase turns my heart straight to stone, I must admit. But since this is a fairly safe place, I'll ask you -- what are you talking about? What is "the homosexual agenda"?

Also, as far as marriage goes, do you reckon the church has an agenda? If so, would you talk about that?

Just interested to hear your thoughts.
    What church? I mean I've heard that before, many of the people arguing the homosexual side of every argument presume a certain homogenuity to those who they disagree with which is not reflective of reality, perhaps the churches have an agenda but you would have to ask them.

The homosexual agenda is just that, a political agenda which prizes homosexuality and wishes to make it normative, why that should have so much heterosexual support I am not sure but would suspect it is a consequence of so many heterosexuals having either a weak sense of identity or the abscence of a formal sexual identity and supporting those who appear to do. Its part of what I think will be a problem for generations to come. If you think the ambivalence about authority playing out now but with its roots in the past is a bitch imagine what its going to be like when is something much more fundamental like sexual attraction.

I think we should repay Lark's unending efforts in some way. We cannot rescue his world: it is drowning and will never resurface. But we can console him, perhaps shed a tear for a life dedicated to futility.

Camus is proud of you, Lark.