Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Dunno. It might seriously mobilize the LGBT community and its supporters. Recent gallups suggest 52% of the population is in favor, 48% are not.
    Yah, i was thinking he may gain other support previously lost.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Dunno. It might seriously mobilize the LGBT community and its supporters. Recent gallups suggest 52% of the population is in favor, 48% are not.
    Quite posible. I wouldn't be so worried if it wasn't for the electoral college. For as we know from the 2000 Bush vs Gore election, the popular vote does not determine the outcome of the election...

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Quite posible. I wouldn't be so worried if it wasn't for the electoral college. For as we know from the 2000 Bush vs Gore election, the popular vote does not determine the outcome of the election...
    This is true. It's an absolutely maddening system.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is true. It's an absolutely maddening system.
    Lol yes it is! One of my favorite quotes from the movie State & Main:

Joseph Turner White: You believe that?
    Ann Black: I do if you do.
    Joseph Turner White: But it's absurd.
    Ann Black: So is our electoral process. But we still vote.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

If the topic of gay marriage was important to you, you had already decided for either Obama, who was known to be pro, or for Romney, who was known to be against it. I believe this coming-out will turn out well for Obama simply because it is a lot easier to show that a ban on gay marriage is unfair than to convince someone that allowing it is morally or socially wrong. Obama just needs to work his rhetorical magic. I assume the majority of haters live in states that he was unlikely to win anyway.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

You know its interesting, I thought I'd always vote on fiscal policy and try to ignore whatever philosophical window dressing a party possessed but as time has gone by and particularly with this topic I've begun to think differently, I could see myself voting for an economically capitalist party now, even perhaps a radical one, if it where still in tune with reality and choose not to make decisions to validate minorities and alienate the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You know its interesting, I thought I'd always vote on fiscal policy and try to ignore whatever philosophical window dressing a party possessed but as time has gone by and particularly with this topic I've begun to think differently, I could see myself voting for an economically capitalist party now, even perhaps a radical one, if it where still in tune with reality and choose not to make decisions to validate minorities and alienate the majority.
    Very interesting. I would like to read more about this in your blog.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

100% in favor of legalizing gay marriage. The U.S. Declaration of Independence claims "all men are created equal" and have the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Falling in love and wanting to make a declaration of that in marriage is as pure a form of a pursuit of happiness that there can be. A gay person has this as an unalienable right.

This quote that I've lost the name of the author for also sums it up nicely...

"Asking you to give me equal rights implies they are yours to give. Instead, I must demand that you stop trying to deny me the rights that all people deserve."
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If the topic of gay marriage was important to you, you had already decided for either Obama, who was known to be pro, or for Romney, who was known to be against it. I believe this coming-out will turn out well for Obama simply because it is a lot easier to show that a ban on gay marriage is unfair than to convince someone that allowing it is morally or socially wrong. Obama just needs to work his rhetorical magic. I assume the majority of haters live in states that he was unlikely to win anyway.
    There's no hatred here, its just a recognition that there are certain things government cant do and shouldnt even try, its not within government's gift to convince anyone of the wisdom of homosexuality or of its parity with heterosexuality. Where is the hatred in that? That some people wish their children to grow up with the benefits of the cultural background which they themselves benefited from growing up, where is the hatred in that?

Its not even a matter of banning gay "marriage", which would be a little like banning people from flying by flapping their arms really hard, its newspeak right out of 1984 to suggest that marriage is anything other than a relationship between two people of the opposite sex.

I just dont understand that at all, there are people who need there to be hatred, who need a bogey man to struggle against and feel their choices and those of their friends or others are validated in the process, that's a shame and I think the wrong way to seek to give your life meaning or to find meaning. I really hope that eventually people will come to their senses about this topic and once the emoting drains away, which I dont expect to be for a very long time yet, perhaps it will take a decline in the popularity of secularism, amorality or moral relativism, so those things are out of the equation too and it can be really considered calmly.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Very interesting. I would like to read more about this in your blog.
    I dont keep a blog. I also dont believe you are interested in my posts.