• Could tolerate gay couples, but can't tolerate gay marriages

9 5.29%
  • Can't tolerate gay marriages or couples

3 1.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12341252 Last

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Is there anything new to add to the already existing discussions?
    Nope. I just need the stats. NT habit, I guess. Or is it?

Who are more statistic conscious?

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Nope. I just need the stats.
    In order to decide whether there is something you want to tell us? Otherwise I cannot see how the userbase of this forum produces worthwhile data.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Nope. I just need the stats. NT habit, I guess. Or is it?
    Who are more statistic conscious?
    PTGatsby. Unfortunately he hasn't posted here for two years.

Use the Search function liberally. I know that many statistics have been posted before on this topic.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

I just need the opinion of people in 'a' forum. This one especially since, this is the only forum in which I am a regular.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Gay marriages are ever allowed. It's simply not the mission of the state to marry gay couples. Just let them create their church or something and let them be married that way if it's what they like.

I'm favorable to tax relief for gay couple on the other side.

So, gay marriage "should not be given".
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not at all sure this discussion is all that useful honestly. I think a more interesting question is when gay marriage will become firmly entrenched in American society. In the United States the demographic and legal trends are clear: in the next decade, 15 years at most Americans will live in places where gay marriage is legal. Even those troglodytes at "Focus on the Family" concede the demographic battle is lost. What is left is the grinding of politics catching up and the legal mopping up. A slow, perhaps ugly process but the end game is pretty clear.

The changes in public opinion on this issue has been astonishing: in a relatively short period of time the change in public opinion has been dramatic. I can think of few issues with this scope where this has been the case in recent history.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    FREE

A major hurdle in the legalization of gay marriage is the inextricable link between the term 'marriage' and religion. Those who are opposed to marriage are often driven to preserve a cornerstone of their faith; to them, allowing a man to marry another man or a woman to marry another woman is an affront to God and his religious laws. Of course there are still a large percentage of people who reject the notion of homosexual love all together, but these people are currently in the minority.

I'm fairly certain that there will eventually be legislation aimed at recognizing gay marriage, but it might be a good first step to push for civil unions first since they do not carry with them the burden of religious dogma. I'm actually surprised that so many gay rights advocates seem to spit in the face of this sensitivity, all in the name of equality.

FYI, from a personal standpoint I believe all marriages should be recognized only by the church, and that the state should group all marriage-like unions under a non-religious term (like civil union).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    FYI, from a personal standpoint I believe all marriages should be recognized only by the church, and that the state should group all marriage-like unions under a non-religious term (like civil union).
    Will you marry civil-union me?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

^ Why use miracles? The government could simply pass a law allowing same sex marriage or lift the ban on it. (I am nor sure whether it's not allowed or banned.)

One does no have to use miracles to get things done.
    Thanks for summing up what's wrong with the attitude of most people towards government.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    In the United States, there's confusion about the role of the Fed gov getting involved in matters determined by individual states.

And the political climate as such has not yet reached the point where having a majority of states or even a federal mandate to allow gay marriage is a real possibility. We have something like five states that have gone through a legal process to approve it, but many others who set up laws to impede it.

The culture drives the law, simply by replacing one generation of lawmakers with another, but things still won't change here for awhile.

So yeah... in the US, for it to happen tomorrow? Miracle.
    That wasnt what I was meaning.

Just clarifying because reading your post it could have appeared that what I meant was that conditions were too backward to permit something which would be possible.

That's not what I meant.

What I meant, although I've said it plenty of times before when the "why cant everyone stop being meanies tendency" posts about their magical expectations of government is that what's expected is impossible.

The government may as well decree that gravity only applies on certain days of the week, its not going to change when gravity objectively applies.