User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay marriage rights

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should be given

    158 92.94%
  • Should not be given

    9 5.29%
  • Could tolerate gay couples, but can't tolerate gay marriages

    9 5.29%
  • Can't tolerate gay marriages or couples

    3 1.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 9171819202129 Last

Results 181 to 190 of 591

  1. #181
    Senior Member Agent Jelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post


    Christianity/bible wasn't the thing that defined sins and merits. I'm rather confused as to what you're implying. I'm sure you knew that people know what's right or wrong and religion is not needed for them to know. Of course religion adds to the list.

    And people this is the 'Gay Marriage Poll' thread not 'What your religion has to say about Gay marriages Poll' thread.'

    Uhh. I don't know what world you live in but I'm pretty sure the majority of America who is against gay marriage is because of religion. If you didn't want to know why some people are against gay marriage and the reason being religion, maybe you shouldn't make threads asking why someone is opposed to gay marriage. Seems very closed minded in my opinion.

  2. #182
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    Uhh. I don't know what world you live in but I'm pretty sure the majority of America who is against gay marriage is because of religion. If you didn't want to know why some people are against gay marriage and the reason being religion, maybe you shouldn't make threads asking why someone is opposed to gay marriage. Seems very closed minded in my opinion.
    Here a chart from an poll that breaks down US gay marriage support by religious affiliation:


    and the article includes the following:

    The explanations for these cleavages can likely be found in nonreligious factors. Catholics in the U.S., for example, are more likely to live in urbanized states than evangelicals, predisposing them to adopting more socially liberal ideologies. The support gap between black and white mainline Protestants might be attributed in part to differing cultural pressures within those racial communities. What's nevertheless strange is that these Christian groups, with a few exceptions, mostly take a hardline stance against gay marriage, yet followers adhere to those stances at vastly different rates. But these religious differences may not matter so much in several generations: the main theme of the study was that younger people are supporting gay rights at much higher rates than their elders. It found "at least a 20-point generation gap" between 18 to 29 year olds and adults over 65 on every public policy issue concerning gay rights. And seven in 10 people in that younger age bracket say that religious groups that come out against homosexuality are alienating them.

  3. #183
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I read that book.
    ???
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  4. #184
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    And when it comes down to it how is being a homosexual worse than stealing a handbag, or being a drug dealer in the eyes of God? Its not. I'm not saying its justified I am just saying there is only one unforgivable sin, and it isn't homosexuality.
    Golly Gee Willickers - it's great to see homosexuals aren't any worse than purse-snatchers and drug dealers. Your open-mindedness is greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.

  5. #185
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Golly Gee Willickers - it's great to see homosexuals aren't any worse than purse-snatchers and drug dealers. Your open-mindedness is greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.
    We should'nt send gays to gaz chamber. At least we all agree on that.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  6. #186
    Senior Member Agent Jelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Golly Gee Willickers - it's great to see homosexuals aren't any worse than purse-snatchers and drug dealers. Your open-mindedness is greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.
    I think you misinterpreted what I said. A lot of religious groups get stuck on homosexuality. It used to be divorce.. There are trends of what is considered protest worthy. I was just trying to communicate that there is no reason for Christians to get stuck on hatred of homosexuals by giving examples of other sins. I should add everyone is a sinner, that is why Jesus Christ died on the cross. I tend to speak in general, not personal. I do not personally go around thinking ill of homosexuals. I'm sorry you got that impression.

  7. #187
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    I was just trying to communicate that there is no reason for Christians to get stuck on hatred of homosexuals by giving examples of other sins. I should add everyone is a sinner, that is why Jesus Christ died on the cross. I tend to speak in general, not personal. I do not personally go around thinking ill of homosexuals. I'm sorry you got that impression.
    Giving examples of *other sins* as if to suggest homosexuality is a sin, and everyone is a sinner? I see you like digging really big holes. Once again, keep up the good work.

  8. #188
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    I smell like homeless people. Does that mean I'm homo?

  9. #189
    Senior Member Agent Jelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Giving examples of *other sins* as if to suggest homosexuality is a sin, and everyone is a sinner? I see you like digging really big holes. Once again, keep up the good work.
    What is your problem? Could you please state it directly.

  10. #190
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    What is your problem? Could you please state it directly.
    If you don't get it, that's sad.
    Over and out.

Similar Threads

  1. Support for Same-Sex Marriage Climbs to New High
    By Totenkindly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
  2. Question for those who oppose same-sex marriage on religious grounds:
    By Brendan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
  3. Same-Sex Marriage
    By metaphours in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 07:52 AM
  4. Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?
    By ez78705 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
  5. Christianity Today Poll (same-sex marriages)
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO