User Tag List

View Poll Results: Gay marriage rights

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should be given

    158 92.94%
  • Should not be given

    9 5.29%
  • Could tolerate gay couples, but can't tolerate gay marriages

    9 5.29%
  • Can't tolerate gay marriages or couples

    3 1.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 8910111220 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 591

  1. #91
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I'm totally agree with that, but as an anarchist, I think there's a difference between tolerate alternatives form of sexuality and officialize it as normal
    Wait, are you saying homosexual tendencies are 'abnormal'? Are you suggesting that marriage be completely standardized?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  2. #92
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Wait, are you saying homosexual tendencies are 'abnormal'? Are you suggesting that marriage be completely standardized?
    Homosexuality is not the norm and will never be. However, the only one standard about marriage, is that it's always between men and women.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  3. #93
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Well, I feel someone has to stand up to this bullshit. If I do not do it, how the hell can I expect anyone else to rise up with me?
    That's fine. The problem has always been with your arguments, not with the fact you want to oppose it.

    I don't feel like I am getting any results at all, but at least I can inspire those who still cling to their ideals to hold on tight and not lose their faith in what is right.
    Maybe I too am "clinging to my ideals, holding on tight, and not losing faith in what is right." Maybe everyone in this thread is. You seem to insinuate that only you have moral high ground to stand up for your values without needing to support them in any way.

    ... wait. Are you quoting a song or something?

    That said, you have no idea how many times I have thought about leaving this place and just quit.
    People "IRL" aren't as bad, for the most part. This has turned into a safe haven for the things that are wrong with today, though.
    However: where evil lurks I will be, fighting it in speech and writing. Until the day I die.
    Okay, Batman.

    Let's hope I die soon, eh? I bet you guys have an aching need of banning me because I disagree with you. Or perhaps I misjudge at least you, Jen.
    Now, let me clarify once again. I do not hate you. In fact I ****ing like you, Jennifer. I just don't agree, with a passion.
    Dude, you have pulled this stunt -- "Oh I bet you just want to ban me because you can't handle what i have to say" -- throughout your tenure here... and wow, look... you're still here. You've been a member here for what, 2-3 years or something? Apparently we don't "feel a need to ban you," and I think it's lame to try to besmirch our intentions whenever people who happen to be mods happen to disagree with any of your viewpoints. Because that's all that comment is... trying to paint yourself as some poor lonely knight who is about to be punished by the evil mod staff. Please. you're still here, aren't you? After doing this, time and again?

    I think you aren't really great at seeing at how the attitudes you express are actually kind of demeaning. It's not the STATEMENT itself -- "I think homosexuality is wrong and bad for people" -- it's that the way in which you support it and the way you've gotten there that comes across as demeaning. We have this exact same conversation, every so often when I bother to reply to your comments, and you still keep thinking people disagree with you because you are holding some position they disagree with. If you actually made your case differently, even if I disagreed with you, I probably wouldn't bother to respond because I could respect it.

    Here, I'll actually dissect your message to show you where I'm getting this from:

    EDIT coming...

    Honestly... Sometimes I feel a bit like Don Quixote.
    Holding on to chivalry is something utterly lost to you lot.


    Translate:
    - You are not acting honorably or nobly
    - You are not capable of acting honorably or nobly
    - I am some sort of noble tragic hero with unique vision to see what is right
    Note: "You" to describe all members of this forum... everyone has been lumped into the same awful category regardless of individual beliefs.

    No matter what I say or do, you will not change your ways.

    Translate:
    - I am trying so hard to make us better people, because I know the truth.
    - You are just foolish because you won't listen to me.
    - I am trying so hard to be patient with you.

    Until media starts talking you into becoming conservatives...

    Translate:
    - You are too stupid to come to our own conclusions in life about what is good.
    - Conservatives are moral and sensible.
    - Non-conservatives are immoral and insensible.

    The people affected by Mob Mentality™ (yes, you) will be... "Liberal" until someone tells you what to do through suggestion over time.

    Translate:
    - You are just unwashed heathens and an unruly mob.
    - You can't think for yourselves, you're too stupid and gullible.

    This thing is like a sine wave, and we'll probably be somewhere else entirely in thirty years or so.

    Translate:
    - Alas, I will lose, because I can't stand against the mob mentality and group stupidity.

    I think this is because a lot, even a majority of people, lack an inner compass.

    Translate:
    - No one here has an inner moral strength or compass of their own. Well, except for me.

    Or rather the combination of strong feeling and morals imprinted and learned through experience and feeling.

    Translate:
    - My morals have been hard-won.
    - Since you disagree with me, you mustn't either have morals or they have been easily acquired or imprinted ON you.

    They (you) do not see things for how they truly are, but are told what is what by your peers.

    Translate:
    - You are all mindless and incapable of reaching your own conclusions.

    Right now, among young people, this crap is not wrong...

    Translate:
    - Your beliefs are crap. Literally.

    But there used to be a death sentence attached to it. While that is harsh, indeed, I am one of those who thinks, feels and knows, with my whole heart, that this is wrong.

    Translate:
    - Because society once punished homosexual behavior by death, well, weren't those the good old days?
    - Sorry, I know that's harsh, but because I believe it's wrong, I think that death sentence was good in terms of its overall impact, to stem the awful tide of a small minority of people having homosexual relationships that otherwise resemble het ones.

    It is a twisted and sick thing that should be confined to the shadows and not see the light of day, like many other nasty sexual orientations (pedophilia, zoophilia, necrophilia etc.).

    Translate:
    - If you disagree with me, you support something that is twist, sick, that should be confined to the shadows, and is equivalent (but not limited!) to molesting children, raping animals, and having sex with dead bodies.

    Now, this does not mean that I hate any or all gay people. I pity the poor bastards that they weren't born right in the head, or were made such by their environment.

    Translate:
    - Gay people: I can use your sexual orientation to loathe you, put down your moral values, put down your sense of decency, equate you to manner of all social transgression (even child molestation), shame you, insult your intelligence and ability to think for yourself, etc
    - Gay supporters: I can use your support for social equality for homosexuals to loathe you, put down your moral values, put down your sense of decency, equate you to manner of all social transgression (even child molestation), shame you, insult your intelligence and ability to think for yourself, etc.

    BUT
    - I don't hate you.. not the supporters, not the gay people. Not really. I love you guys.


    .... Srsly? I hope you can understanding how your claim of "non-hatred" just really doesn't hold a lot of water. You can't dismiss, disdain, slur, revile, generalize, and stereotype large groups of people and later claim you don't hate them. Especially when your views offer no hope for reconciliation or conversation, are all based on inner moral values rather than anchored in any sort of external data assessment, and are the exact same attitudes and views that lead to violence against, public shaming of, and oppression of social minorities.

    To be honest, maybe I do agree with you that are like Don Quixote: You mourn a world that has been long gone, you refuse to move with it, and you would rather be lost in your fantasy than find ways to productively engage the world you don't like.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #94
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Honestly... Sometimes I feel a bit like Don Quixote.
    Holding on to chivalry is something utterly lost to you lot.
    No matter what I say or do, you will not change your ways.
    Until media starts talking you into becoming conservatives...
    The people affected by Mob Mentality™ (yes, you) will be... "Liberal" until someone tells you what to do through suggestion over time.
    This thing is like a sine wave, and we'll probably be somewhere else entirely in thirty years or so.
    I think this is because a lot, even a majority of people, lack an inner compass.
    Or rather the combination of strong feeling and morals imprinted and learned through experience and feeling.
    They (you) do not see things for how they truly are, but are told what is what by your peers.
    Right now, among young people, this crap is not wrong...
    But there used to be a death sentence attached to it. While that is harsh, indeed, I am one of those who thinks, feels and knows, with my whole heart, that this is wrong.
    It is a twisted and sick thing that should be confined to the shadows and not see the light of day, like many other nasty sexual orientations (pedophilia, zoophilia, necrophilia etc.).

    Now, this does not mean that I hate any or all gay people. I pity the poor bastards that they weren't born right in the head, or were made such by their environment.
    Not sure it can even be "cured", since that doesn't seem to help with any other sexual orientation, either. So I guess it must exist, but it does not mean that it is good.
    Many other unhealthy variations of behavior exist, as well. Some of them are punished while others have been commercialized and forced upon people by liberal media and immoral politicians.

    No, screw this. I hate thinking about it, because I feel like i'm trying to fight the tide with a willow switch. Or windmills...


    I voted: "Should not be given" and "Could tolerate gay couples(in secret, unofficially), but can't tolerate gay marriages(since it is neither normal or could ever be equal to the holy sanctity of marriage)".

    You realize that throughout history, people have been obliterating each other? Burning fellows humans at the stake? Sending children who were 'weak' to die among wolves and beasts? I would not say they are in any way right.

    Just because there has always been a certain mentality, it does not mean it is correct. In my heart, I know that love is love, no matter who you are. I think it is vile to try to destroy your or another's race. It is not vile to love a man as a man, or a woman as a woman. I think that there are many people on here who are capable of forming their own opinions, without this 'mob mentality' you speak of. Just like there are many more in this world who can do the same.

    I am curious, why do you think this is so wrong?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  5. #95
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Homosexuality is not the norm and will never be. However, the only one standard about marriage, is that it's always between men and women.
    So if there were more homosexual persons than heterosexual, would it be okay? Should marriage be based on what the whole is?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  6. #96
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    So if there were more homosexual persons than heterosexual, would it be okay? Should marriage be based on what the whole is?
    As an addition to this line of thought, aren't all heterosexuals and LGBTs people, hence people deserve the same rights? Where does drilling down into categorical discrimination end? Should left-handed individuals not be allowed to marry since they're not the "norm"?

  7. #97
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Homosexuality is not the norm and will never be.
    I don't think it was EVER part of anyone's stance that all people should be homosexuals and it should become the "norm."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #98
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    As an addition to this line of thought, aren't all heterosexuals and LGBTs people, hence people deserve the same rights? Where does drilling down into categorical discrimination end? Should left-handed individuals not be allowed to marry since they're not the "norm"?
    Do you mean homosexuals?

    And that was precisely my point. Or Native Americans who are half Indian marrying someone Japanese. That is certainly not the norm.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  9. #99
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    And that was precisely my point. Or Native Americans who are half Indian marrying someone Japanese. That is certainly not the norm.
    Thank goodness. Think how bad off the world would be if that were to happen.
    (How would the children be raised? What language would they speak? Which nationality would they need to marry? So many confusing questions... It would be better for the children to not have to face them.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #100
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Thank goodness. Think how bad off the world would be if that were to happen.
    (How would the children be raised? What language would they speak? Which nationality would they need to marry? So many confusing questions... It would be better for the children to not have to face them.)
    Oh dear! Oh the horror! :horor:

    Also, why is a sexual tendency so bad?

    If they are two consenting adults, well, that is different from bestiality and pedophilia, where often there isn't that much of a choice for the other party.

    I wonder how many homophobes think lesbians are hawt.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Similar Threads

  1. Support for Same-Sex Marriage Climbs to New High
    By Totenkindly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
  2. Question for those who oppose same-sex marriage on religious grounds:
    By Brendan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
  3. Same-Sex Marriage
    By metaphours in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 07:52 AM
  4. Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?
    By ez78705 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
  5. Christianity Today Poll (same-sex marriages)
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO