User Tag List

Exclamation Social Media Flash Mobs Becoming Flash Robs Across The U.S.

Per Wikipedia:

Summer 2011 brought additional "flash mobs", "flash robs" or "flash thefts" to Maryland, Cleveland, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Ottawa, Ontario.
    A detailed timeline chart of the rise of the flash rob phenomenon (i.e. criminal activity took place, not the silly stuff) can be found here. Note the sharp rise in frequency as of 2010, then again in 2011.

Q1: Someone suggested in another thread that it is only a matter of time before we have a London Riots situation on our hands here in the U.S. Do you agree or disagree and why?

Social media crackdowns have been discussed by a variety of officials... One of several articles I've come across is provided here.

Q2: Do you believe a social media crackdown is a solution to curb this problem? Why or why not?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Per Wikipedia:

A detailed timeline chart of the rise of the flash rob phenomenon (i.e. criminal activity took place, not the silly stuff) can be found here. Note the sharp rise in frequency as of 2010, then again in 2011.

Q1: Someone suggested in another thread that it is only a matter of time before we have a London Riots situation on our hands here in the U.S. Do you agree or disagree and why?

Social media crackdowns have been discussed by a variety of officials... One of several articles I've come across is provided here.

Q2: Do you believe a social media crackdown is a solution to curb this problem? Why or why not?
    Q1: I don't know if we'll see it on as grand a scale as the London Riots, but I think we'll continue to see these flareups.

Q2: I have no problem with this sort of policy:

The Cleveland City Council went further after a large flash mob disrupted a Fourth of July fireworks display with violence, passing an ordinance that would have made it illegal to use social media to organize a violent and disorderly flash mob.
    They ultimately vetoed the bill, but I think if you are using Facebook or Twitter for the express purpose of rallying people for violence, that should be a crime. I don't know what/how harsh the penalty would be, but no one has the right to organize violence.

I don't have a problem with shutting down people's individual Facebook pages, either.
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Per Wikipedia:

Q1: I'm quite sure I was one of those who believe this will happen in the U.S. sooner or later. Whether it'll be like the London Riots, well I don't know.
    Q2: Inciting a riot is not a joke. Inciting people to rob a place is not a joke. It could potentially curb quite a bit of it, but not all of it.

MBTI
    ENTP

Q1: We need some kind of event to set it off. This just seems like random criminality, the london riots quickly devolved in to something like that but they still had a driving force at the start.

Q2: OMG INTERNETS IS STEALING MAH WALLET! I NEED THE POLICE ON FACEBOOK!
    +10% Crit Chance