User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Warren Buffett's Op Ed in the NYTimes: Stop Coddling the Super-Rich

I have a lot of respect for this guy for this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/op...uper-rich.html

(Hope this isn't double-posted. Didn't see it anywhere.)
    Something Witty

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I wish there was a like button! That's pretty cool. I wonder how much flack he'll get for that.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

figsfiggyfigs

Good for him!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I saw it here, this morning:
    http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.81203...nomy-1.3099506

(It even cites some flack Republicans are giving him!)

Just right now got through commenting on this on my new blog:
    http://erictb.wordpress.com/2011/08/...e-for-a-change

Yeah, they give at their own discretion, but someone has been steering the nation's attention away from them, and towards "social programs", still, at least among the conservatives. (Particularly fueled more recently by the health care bill). So I wonder if this could be just to make themselves look good, in a time when things are so bad it is possible for people to begin looking elsewhere besides the poor for the "drain" on the economy.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

I like this one:

"Playing by the rules, one does the best he can, irrespective of the social consequences. Whereas in making the rules, people ought to be concerned with the social consequences and not with their personal interests."
    -- George Soros

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

From a related article this past week, somewhat relevant to op, The rich are different- and not in a good way, studies suggest:

“We have now done 12 separate studies measuring empathy in every way imaginable, social behavior in every way, and some work on compassion and it’s the same story,” he said. “Lower class people just show more empathy, more prosocial behavior, more compassion, no matter how you look at it.”

In an academic version of a Depression-era Frank Capra movie, Keltner and co-authors of an article called “Social Class as Culture: The Convergence of Resources and Rank in the Social Realm,” published this week in the journal Current Directions in Psychological Science, argue that “upper-class rank perceptions trigger a focus away from the context toward the self….”

In other words, rich people are more likely to think about themselves. “They think that economic success and political outcomes, and personal outcomes, have to do with individual behavior, a good work ethic,” said Keltner, a professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley.

Because the rich gloss over the ways family connections, money and education helped, they come to denigrate the role of government and vigorously oppose taxes to fund it.
    That Warren Buffet piece has shown up several times in my facebook feed (in spite of not having a long fb list) from people who don't know each other. I love that it's spreading so fast among so many different people.

[edit:] and this part of the above article is probably more relevant to op:

As behavioral economist Mark Wilhelm of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis pointed out, most people could quickly tell you how much they paid in taxes last year but few could put a dollar amount on how they benefited from government by, say, driving on interstate highways, taking drugs gleaned from federally funded medical research, or using inventions created by people educated in public schools.

There is one interesting piece of evidence showing that many rich people may not be selfish as much as willfully clueless, and therefore unable to make the cognitive link between need and resources. Last year, research at Duke and Harvard universities showed that regardless of political affiliation or income, Americans tended to think wealth distribution ought to be more equal.

The problem? Rich people wrongly believed it already was.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTj

Unfortunately, his voice will fall on deaf ears. The general public is not smart enough to vote in representatives who will actually look after their interests.

Raise taxes for people making more than $1M. Can't get simpler than that. Yet, politicians blatantly fight it while the unwashed masses cheer them on.

Heard this a few days ago and knew politics was coming his way.

He is definitely worthy of my phrase.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Unfortunately, his voice will fall on deaf ears. The general public is not smart enough to vote in representatives who will actually look after their interests.

Raise taxes for people making more than $1M. Can't get simpler than that. Yet, politicians blatantly fight it while the unwashed masses cheer them on.
    The general public isn't smart enough to see that the Republican party uses religion as a show to mask their real intention of robbing people blind.