User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    0.16 percent of 14 trillion$ is not "nothing" in the grand scheme - it's missing the point to compare it to GDP. Compare it to what other things the money could go towards. If my math is correct, that would be $22.5 billion. There are a lot of things you can do with that kind of money.

I'm not in the US though, so I don't really have an opinion on whether it's a bad idea or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    0.16% of some ridiculously unfathomable number is still modestly huge
    Even if cut all $22.5 billion it would translate to a very small impact on our on-going debt and deficit reduction efforts. Meanwhile, that money suddenly disappearing would mean the loss of a major tool of our foreign policy, not to mention the humanitarian costs to the hundreds of millions of people who count on US aid for food, medicines, job training, child education, irrigation, small business subsidies, and a litany of other life-enhancing benefits.
    It sounds ignorant to me when people start discussing foreign aid as some kind of luxury item when it's not.

And besides, its not as if we cut the foreign aid budget that money would suddenly be reallocated towards education and infrastructure. It would more than likely just be sucked into the twin money pits of military expenditures and entitlement programs, which is where the bulk of our revenue goes anyway. A discussion of spending cuts that doesn't kick off with those two whose budgets vastly outstrip what we spend in foreign aid weren't looking to have a meaningful discussion in the first place. I hate charts, but by way of comparison:

Since most of the aid programs are administered by State, were debating a fraction of that tiny ass purple slice on the upper right portion of the circle.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    think of foreign aid as investment. If/when the receiving country uses it to increase its wealth, more goods and services can potentially be bought from the giving country.
    Foreign investment like Hosni Mubarak?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Even if cut all $22.5 billion it would translate to a very small impact on our on-going debt and deficit reduction efforts. Meanwhile, that money suddenly disappearing would mean the loss of a major tool of our foreign policy, not to mention the humanitarian costs to the hundreds of millions of people who count on US aid for food, medicines, job training, child education, irrigation, small business subsidies, and a litany of other life-enhancing benefits.
    It sounds ignorant to me when people start discussing foreign aid as some kind of luxury item when it's not.

And besides, its not as if we cut the foreign aid budget that money would suddenly be reallocated towards education and infrastructure. It would more than likely just be sucked into the twin money pits of military expenditures and entitlement programs, which is where the bulk of our revenue goes anyway. A discussion of spending cuts that doesn't kick off with those two whose budgets vastly outstrip what we spend in foreign aid weren't looking to have a meaningful discussion in the first place. I hate charts, but by way of comparison:

Since most of the aid programs are administered by State, were debating a fraction of that tiny ass purple slice on the upper right portion of the circle.
    howz bout a link
    9w?

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    So the government spends 57% of the money given to it by the people, on the people's welfare? That's outrageous. Truly! Most of the people who advocate for the dismantlement of the stupidly called "Entitlement Programs" are too self-centered and shortsighted to understand that welfare programs DO benefit them as well.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    howz bout a link
    I just pulled something off of google images that showed a break down of a recent federal budget. Here's the source, tho:

http://grassrootsne.com/?p=8307
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Perhaps, but I will point out that we are spending a pittance on foreign aid, really. I mean, cutting it back will have a virtually imperceptible effect on our budget, so I'm not sure I care.

I will say that I'm not all that impressed by the way our foreign aid gets put into practice anyhow, so it might not be a loss.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE

Here is a chart I made with the 2011 budget data:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

michele bachmann pic of the day.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INFP

We certainly don't want to be giving America foreign aid while its social services are so bad. The money would only end up in the hands of the people who don't need it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    We certainly don't want to be giving America foreign aid while its social services are so bad. The money would only end up in the hands of the people who don't need it.
    +1