Default London Burns

Did we miss making a thread about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HEdukcOwDk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDgxEYTQk50
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylYqEvUtg-k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZuNLS_lwQY
    From one of the comments on youtube

TV reporter "Is rioting the correct way to express your discontent?" -

"Yes," said the young man. "You wouldn't be talking to me now if we didn't riot, would you?"

The TV reporter from Britain's ITV had no response. So the young man pressed his advantage. "Two months ago we marched to Scotland Yard, more than 2,000 of us, all blacks, and it was peaceful and calm and you know what? Not a word in the press. Last night a bit of rioting and looting and look around you."
    http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...nd-london-riot

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Fetch the engine, fetch the engine...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I live in south London. The atmosphere is strange at the moment. My neighbourhood has been a little pocket of quiet so far, probably because there are no high street shops around to loot... Not sure if that will continue though. The Clapham Junction/Lavender Hill riot last night was only about a twenty minute walk away. I could see smoke rising from Clapham Junction. I live in a highrise with a big fence round it so I feel fairly safe but it is a bit of a siege feeling.

This started out as a race/potential police brutality issue but it is not really about that any more. People have used the death of Mark Duggan as an excuse. I think the commentators who pointed out the sense of entitlement shown by the looters are on the right track. Yes, many/most are from disadvantaged backgrounds. But some or many people from such backgrounds make a success of their lives and reject violence and crime. The society we live in has encouraged people to believe they deserve something for nothing - even to the extent of destroying others' livelihoods for it. And there is a love of violence and mayhem. A friend and her husband had their hair salon destroyed in Clapham Junction last night. They had to flee out the back because rioters were coming in. It is frightening that this stuff is happening in our neighbourhoods and affecting me and my friends.

I do believe that these are signs of the times and of a world that is fatally diseased. It's just closer to home than usual.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

reading the posted article, its being " caught in a poverty and joblessness cycle, young people in many British urban areas have little hope of a better life."
    im guessing@SilkRoad you dont share the same reality as they are enduring

that was really crummy what happened to that kid, instead of helping him they took from his bag.
    9w?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    reading the posted article, its being " caught in a poverty and joblessness cycle, young people in many British urban areas have little hope of a better life."
    im guessing@SilkRoad you dont share the same reality as they are enduring
    No, not at all. I'm well aware that I'm from a fairly privileged and middle class background and I am never going to fully, or even closely, understand the reality of their lives.

However, gleefully looting designer gear is not going to help. There seems to be less anger out there than delight at the opportunity to get free stuff, cause mayhem and stick it to the establishment and the "rich".

I'm not saying that disaffection, underprivilege, crappy upbringings etc aren't part of the cause. They are not an excuse, though. How can there be an excuse for the wanton destruction of people's livelihoods and for creating an atmosphere of fear on London's streets? How is that going to improve anyone's lives? Many of the people whose businesses and homes have been destroyed come from underprivileged working class backgrounds themselves. This is just lawlessness.

I have friends who come from these kinds of backgrounds. They are decent people. They would not view this as an excuse. In fact, some of them would speak out in more "condemning" terms than I have done.

The factors are complicated. I would never deny that. I don't think there are pat answers. But decent people of all races and backgrounds in London are scared and unhappy right now.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Fetch the engine, fetch the engine...
    More like, "fetch the shotgun." (yeah, I know its Britain).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Perhaps that is part of it. Though I am not sure they have thought it through to that extent, or a lot of them have not...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Im expecting that to happen here sometime soon as well
    9w?

I agree with SilkRoad. Smashing a shop window, walking off with a widescreen TV and then saying "The government made me do it." is just a stupid excuse. You can always point the finger at the wider society for justifying your own actions ("it's my parents'/ the teachers'/ the politicians' fault"), take some responsibility for your own actions. London is my hometown and I am pretty pissed off that all over the place buildings are burning, people are losing their livelihoods and 15-year olds are robbing shops and running off with a new pair of trainers under the pretense that they are doing it for some higher cause. Give me a break.