User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Thread: London Burns

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    The anger has no direction because people have so much to be angry about, without a singular cause.

What about it seems indicative of an attitude of entitlement?
    You protest, yet you do not persuade.

Anger is always related to a frustrated sense of entitlement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post

Makes perfect sense
    I want you sooooo bad.
    Last edited by LEGERdeMAIN; 08-11-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: period at end was unnecessary, twas only a phrase
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think someone is trying hard to get themselves banned.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post

At the same time, entitlement isn't necessarily a bad thing, nor deserving of the particularly negative connotation we give it. We're entitled to human rights and justice, after all.

At the same time, entitlement isn't necessarily a bad thing, nor deserving of the particularly negative connotation we give it. We're entitled to human rights and justice, after all.
    Only if we riot, revolt and murder the ruling class.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Only if we riot, revolt and murder the ruling class.
    And that's where that pesky thing called morality rears its head. What makes it so pesky is that you can never quite tell how it will answer that question in a given person.

Two things - one, what exactly is it that you feel disgusted by? Two, why treat this any differently than a natural disaster, and try to ascribe culpability to people who are mostly not acting out of rational judgment at this point?
    I was unaware that people are not responsible for acting out of rational judgment when they are capable of it at all other times.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

We're entitled to human rights and justice, after all.
    Are we? Why? Because we say so? What authority gave us those rights? Didn’t we just claim them for ourselves? Much like the average looter...
    At the same time, entitlement isn't necessarily a bad thing, nor deserving of the particularly negative connotation we give it.
    Not bad, but not benign either. It certainly seems to be problematic in terms of maintaining social order.
    Our dialogue regarding social equality revolves around asserting that we are all entitled to everything, when it might be more reasonable (and sustainable) to maintain that none of us are actually entitled to anything. Happiness is largely about counting your blessings, not measuring your deficits.

Entitlement is an outgrowth of the competitive instinct to survive. As such it relies on a hierarchy of winners and losers. It a lie we've told ourselves for so long (to justify the subjugation / exploitation of our own and other species) that we've actually started to believe it. But for the lie to really work, some sections of society need to sustain lower expectations of what they are entitled to than others. Without that, social order collapses.

The problem is that too many people live in societies where they are constantly told “You’re worth it!”, whilst simultaneously being denied that notional “worth”. Hence, anger, depression, general social malaise, riots and other fun stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I was unaware that people are not responsible for acting out of rational judgment when they are capable of it at all other times.
    This isn't a simple lapse of judgment though; it's a psychosocial phenomenon that occurs whenever large angry groups no longer fear violent reprisal for their actions.

MBTI
    GONE

This isn't a simple lapse of judgment though; it's a psychosocial phenomenon that occurs whenever large angry groups no longer fear violent reprisal for their actions.
    But people riot when they are "happy" too.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari