User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Thread: London Burns

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    There was a good quote I saw that was poignant, one of the mobsters said in response to a question if there were better ways to do this, he said something like "yes we had a peaceful demonstration, 2000 of us marches in protest, and it didnt even make the news, loot a few stores and you get all the coverage you want".
    I understand but the coverage at present is all for the wrong reasons .. If it was to protest the heavy handedness of the police then setting fire and louting is not going to highlight that, is it??

The emphasis has now changed.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    so far, amongst the youth that were caught red handed, university students and graduates, people from outside the UK, graphic designer, youth worker and enlisted army.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14460554
    Wow, now that I did not expect so much with these riots. I mean, I tend to think more of the participants will prove to be disadvantaged, poorly educated, unemployed etc. But people with what are considered good jobs? University students?

With the Vancouver riot (I was in Vancouver the day before and not far away when it did happen...what is it with riots following me around?! ) I was less surprised that there were a bunch of spoiled middle class kids (and sometimes older than kids) involved. But that was a completely different sort of thing...well, I thought so. There is a strange atmosphere sweeping the world at the moment, I think a lot of things that are happening are tangentially linked.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    There is a strange atmosphere sweeping the world at the moment, I think a lot of things that are happening are tangentially linked.
    I 100% agree with your sentiments.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Maybe it's about time I go public and set things straight.

~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

When people feel they have nothing to lose & that no one cares about them, then this is what they do. I'm expecting this to happen any time now in a US city. The final straw will come at some point & people will snap, and I think it's sooner than later.

Of course it's not responsible or helpful or accomplishing anything good. It's meant to be purely destructive & chaotic, to highlight the desperation and rock bottom they've fallen into, that nothing matters anymore. Of course, I doubt they reason this way themselves or see the symbolism clearly, but they're acting on an instinct to destroy aspects of a government & society that isn't working for them, but instead is working against them, & off their backs. It's a rejection of so called "order", so doing things lawfully would still be an acknowledgment that the order works. But none of it has value to them, not a piece of it, so it doesn't matter who they steal from, what they burn, only that they do it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

If I'm honest, I thought it would come sooner.
    I even understand to a certain degree.
    However, I didn't exactly come from a privileged background. I got lucky, that, and hell of lot of hard work.
    My very brief time of homelessness taught me one thing though, not very many people change things for themselves. They expect others do it for them.
    These people are trying to change things the only way they know how.
    My heart goes out to the business owners.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Anyone heard this? That it started because of a 16 year old girl being beat with batons?

"I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There are riots in Manchester now, my roommates bf lives there.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    There was a good quote I saw that was poignant, one of the mobsters said in response to a question if there were better ways to do this, he said something like "yes we had a peaceful demonstration, 2000 of us marches in protest, and it didnt even make the news, loot a few stores and you get all the coverage you want".
    Sad but true. You do what you have to. None of this suprises me at all, and I'm with OrangeAppled that this is going to happen in the U.S. very soon.

Tribal Identity and Public Violence

Public violence is the best way to establish tribal identity, and as our Blackberries are forming us into electronic tribes, naturally we are establishing our etribal identity through public violence.