Thread: London Burns

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    As for oppertunity, I had to prove myself time and time again and earn my place here just like everyone else would, or I would've been kicked out a long time ago. I'm also not highly educated, I started fulltime working after I finished high school (I do kind of regret that because school is a lot more fun than work. But I don't fret about it. :P ). But that isn't what's needed to get an income, it just might make things easier (although I'm not sure, eductating yourself in an area that doesn't offer many jobs can be a real pain too, especially psychologically. I'd argue it'd be harder for someone to find a job then because they're automatically narrowing the area down to their expertise and only look for jobs there). Effort is the most important thing.

It's never been easy for me to do the job I do now, especially as an INTP in a very J world, and I had to make a lot of sacrifices for it too, but that doesn't keep me from doing it, because the alternative is much worse.

Everyone who wants to do business will have to find their niche themselves, it's different for everyone. But it all comes down to looking around you and see what isn't there, but what could be, and what you want to be there. And try to make it happen.

I bet that if I went to London to live there, I could have a self-sustaining income within 6 months time (which imo is a reasonable gap), despite being a foreigner. It might not be a job I'd enjoy doing or want to do. But that is not of first concern. But if you don't go out to search for oppertunities, you won't find them. They don't (rarily) come looking for you. :P

Not that I'd ever want to go to a shithole like that ever again in my life with all those vandalists though. (See above, self-shooting in foots).

Either way, all the looting and destruction, it's just all kinds of messed up. I'm sure you can agree with me on that.
    Now apply that to a large demograph, which consists mainly of poorly educated minorities, usually unskilled with varying conditions that cause disparity from the median citizen, social conditioning. The previous generation which does have work ethic and the consienticiousness for social integration, and in some cases high education, yet for the most part fail miserably. This is true for caribbeans, pakistanis, afro-british, and to a lesser extent indigenous english.

Its self-evident that i am against this riot, but i think what is more important is the problem from which it stems from.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    This started out as a race/potential police brutality issue but it is not really about that any more. People have used the death of Mark Duggan as an excuse. I think the commentators who pointed out the sense of entitlement shown by the looters are on the right track. Yes, many/most are from disadvantaged backgrounds. But some or many people from such backgrounds make a success of their lives and reject violence and crime. The society we live in has encouraged people to believe they deserve something for nothing - even to the extent of destroying others' livelihoods for it. And there is a love of violence and mayhem. A friend and her husband had their hair salon destroyed in Clapham Junction last night. They had to flee out the back because rioters were coming in. It is frightening that this stuff is happening in our neighbourhoods and affecting me and my friends.

I do believe that these are signs of the times and of a world that is fatally diseased. It's just closer to home than usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    No, not at all. I'm well aware that I'm from a fairly privileged and middle class background and I am never going to fully, or even closely, understand the reality of their lives.

However, gleefully looting designer gear is not going to help. There seems to be less anger out there than delight at the opportunity to get free stuff, cause mayhem and stick it to the establishment and the "rich".

I'm not saying that disaffection, underprivilege, crappy upbringings etc aren't part of the cause. They are not an excuse, though. How can there be an excuse for the wanton destruction of people's livelihoods and for creating an atmosphere of fear on London's streets? How is that going to improve anyone's lives? Many of the people whose businesses and homes have been destroyed come from underprivileged working class backgrounds themselves. This is just lawlessness.

I have friends who come from these kinds of backgrounds. They are decent people. They would not view this as an excuse. In fact, some of them would speak out in more "condemning" terms than I have done.

The factors are complicated. I would never deny that. I don't think there are pat answers. But decent people of all races and backgrounds in London are scared and unhappy right now.
    I think silkroad is spot on here. And it appears as though these rioters are going after all the wrong people as well. Small business owners from meager backgrounds, who obviously are working very hard to maintain their livelihood are being severely wounded here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ss-erupts.html
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGadaafi View Post
    Now apply that to a large demograph, which consists mainly of poorly educated minorities, usually unskilled with varying conditions that cause disparity from the median citizen, social conditioning. The previous generation which does have work ethic and the consienticiousness for social integration, and in some cases high education, yet for the most part fail miserably. This is true for caribbeans, pakistanis, afro-british, and to a lesser extent indigenous english.

[B]Its self-evident that i am against this riot, but i think what is more important is the problem from which it stems from.
    I agree with the bold part.

what did you mean on this part? "varying conditions that cause disparity"

" The previous generation which does have work ethic and the consienticiousness for social integration, and in some cases high education, yet for the most part fail miserably"
    and they fail with the good work ethic and education? why?
    9w?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

so far, amongst the youth that were caught red handed, university students and graduates, people from outside the UK, graphic designer, youth worker and enlisted army.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14460554
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    Im expecting that to happen here sometime soon as well
    Oh god I hope so I need a new tv!!!
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Oh god I hope so I need a new tv!!!
    yea, no. I have no intention of being anywhere near the angry mob.
    9w?

MBTI
    ESFJ

The worrying thing is this apparently started over that bloke being killed by the police .. The peaceful demonstration which a few decided to escalate into thuggish behaviour but now it's spreading. People on stupidbook are talking about Manchester, Birmingham and even in Leicester the police this evening were telling people in the City centre to leave immediately.

I understand (some) young people are frustrated with areas of their lives .. But there are more diplomatic ways to deal with that frustration.

i think this situation is going to get worse before it gets better .. And with the likes of social networking, people can gather in places rather quickly. Do what they do in Belfast and get the water cannons out.

It is a sorry state of affairs at present.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    yea, no. I have no intention of being anywhere near the angry mob.
    From what I have seen in tv and movies, which I think are PRETTTTTY close to reality is that the safest place in such a situation is IN the mob, not holed up in your house hoarding resources that the mob wants.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    The worrying thing is this apparently started over that bloke being killed by the police .. The peaceful demonstration which a few decided to escalate into thuggish behaviour but now it's spreading. People on stupidbook are talking about Manchester, Birmingham and even in Leicester the police this evening were telling people in the City centre to leave immediately.

I understand (some) young people are frustrated with areas of their lives .. But there are more diplomatic ways to deal with that frustration.

i think this situation is going to get worse before it gets better .. And with the likes of social networking, people can gather in places rather quickly. Do what they do in Belfast and get the water cannons out.

It is a sorry state of affairs at present.
    There was a good quote I saw that was poignant, one of the mobsters said in response to a question if there were better ways to do this, he said something like "yes we had a peaceful demonstration, 2000 of us marches in protest, and it didnt even make the news, loot a few stores and you get all the coverage you want".