User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Thread: London Burns

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    No it was 2.

I bet you pretend to understand Nietzsche in coffee shops to pick up chicks.

CHECK
    Wittgenstein gets the pussy, actually.

En passant motherfucker! *pelvic thrusts*

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

all of this rioting and looting.

It calls for random pictures of mongolians

"Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Wittgenstein gets the pussy, actually.

En passant motherfucker!
    Wittgenstein was Australian so he doesnt count. Aussies cant do proper philosophy. At best they can spurn out a few drunken thoughts on this and that.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGadaafi View Post
    I suspected that, your attack sounded too ridicules, and also you have already befriended erm, and i suspect you assholes are communicating in ventrilo or some other medium. Maybe your erms friend or maybe your erms other ip.
    Communication would ruin the purity of the act. What we have here is a bit of spontaneous improvised performance art.
    Also, my words could easily be redirected not to Erm but to all the college educated middle class white kids running out there and smashing things up only to tweet about it later. Those people are scum.
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    No one in this thread has been victimized though. The "victimized mentality" I was referring to was yours/the OPs. You started talking about how women do more of the suffering while men do all of the looting, and then you start talking about other people's "agendas" and self-serving rhetoric.
    Which is pretty funny/less than helpful.
    Why not bring up gender though? This conversation was pretty much already throwing out race, class, education, social status, even age - why would those things be up for grabs and not gender? I didn't read gender at all into the OP (then again, I am guilty of skimming things :P) but I guess my response is so what? I would have thrown sexual orientation in their for kicks and giggles too if I hadn't such been in a hurry when I wrote that. My further point if someone had picked up on that conversation would now be drawing parallels to when groups of mostly female or mostly GLBT folks or whatnot "riot" (aka Stonewall) and compare and contrast to see what makes "rioting" tick, etc.

If you're going to analyze/justify/explain why something happens based on certain psycho/social/historical factors, you should look at ALL of them. I think that's a fair point. I will never apologize for bringing up gender or race or anything else when the dialogue already accepts that "range of identities" as valid factors in an event. If someone wanted to throw in ableism or religion into the mix as a lens to view things from, I'm not gonna complain. Let's go all out while we're at it.

Plus, AM I WRONNNNNNNG? Please show me statistics and even anecdotal evidence where a crowd of mostly women turn violent and destroy whole neighborhoods.

I don't see too many people justifiying the violence, personally. I just see them trying to avoid the kind of knee-jerk responses that you accuse yourself of. They are facile and yet you seem to be using them to assert some kind of moral superiority.
    Oh, but I AM morally superior. Did you not get the memo? I sent it out last Friday.

When people say "this was terrible what these people did" and people counter with "but it's not about individual responsibility, stuff like this "just happens, in groups" I think that is justifying the behavior and minimizing the negative impact and also personal responsibility. And I'm not speaking for them, but as an observer I think that's partly why SilkRoad has the left the building.

What I was trying to say is "group behavior" may minimize a person's FEELINGS of individuality and individual responsibility but MORALLY they do still have an individual responsibility. Does anyone actually disagree with that?

Finally, if someone says "this person stole" and you say "but they were poor and hungry because the government discriminates against them" that is kinda justyfing the stealing behavior. In this case replace "person" with "mob" and "stole" with "riot" and "hungry" with "angry" (and take out "poor" selectively since apparently some of the rioters were part of said ruling class) you kinda have the same justification going on.

Yes, it is a more than a personal peeve of mine when I perceive people to elevate mindless or ill-directed violence to a moral stance or an act in the service of social justice. As someone who has worked in an organizing capacity for social justice, that does tick me off and make me get on a moral soapbox. I'm not gonna front.

Meh, I think people just have different angles on this and are partly talking about entirely different things. Which makes it feel like other people are trying to morally one up them.

Well, as long as I know I'm right, I'll just walk away satisfied.

On a personal level, I find the behaviour of the looters despicable, disgusting and pretty much incomprehensible. I don't really see how that helps anyone though...
    Kay, let's assume everyone in this thread agrees with that ^^ (Which I don't think is the case), but if so, let's move the conversation to the next step. If there is a next step in this case, specifically in this thread. What is the next step?

This is how I think this convo in this thread has played out:

People did something bad.
    They were induced to do it by circumstance.
    The hell they were.
    It's tough what they did but get over it.
    NO, you do not just "get over" something like.

That's what I'm hearing.

Anywhoo, in the larger world this conversation takes place all the time when rioting occurs and then I feel like the conversation is unfinished. And that not so much a conversation took place but a topical commentary. How do you prevent this? What happens next? Who is responsible for rebuilding? What about the shop owners? Or do well just assume rioting like this is "inevitable" and just wait for it to happen?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

I bet you pretend to understand Nietzsche in coffee shops to pick up chicks.
    CHECK

That works??

I bet they don't shave their legs.

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Before they started appearing in court, most people assumed London's rioters and looters were unemployed youths with no hope and no future.

So there was much surprise when details of the accused began to emerge, and they included some from wealthy backgrounds or with good jobs.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/eu...html?hpt=hp_c1

Third time.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    That works??

I bet they don't shave their legs.

You say that like its a bad thing.
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    GONE

You say that like its a bad thing.
    +1111 My good sir...or madam...or cartoon character.

Come in to the the fun thread!

*cough cough* shameless self promotion *cough cough*

Johari/Nohari

The Rioters, School Children and the Married

The rioters came onto the streets for the same reason school children come onto Typology Central - to evade their responsible parents.

And the rioters came onto the streets for the same reason the married come onto Typology Central - to evade their spouses.