User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Do you find regional accents more trust worthy than elite accents?

This may be something which is unique to the UK but university research has indicated that in the UK at least regional accents, such as northern england, scotland and ireland's accents are trusted more than received english pronounciation. It has been linked to the banking scandals and recession but the banks have simply substituted regional phone centres or voice ad actors for english ones.

The exception being the US apparently which still likes elite english accents, hence the success of films like the King's Speech.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

How can an accent be trustworthy?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You make it seem like a stupid question. People have certain associations with certain accents.
    Elite English = bureaucrat, or stuffy paper pusher. Would screw over grandmother, if paper work not presented in triplicate.

When I taught English in Korea, my kiwi accent was less than desirable.

I can see banks pulling a PR stunt like that.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

there's studies here that view people's perceptions of various accents... apparently midwestern and southern accents are considered to be the most trustworthy... southerners, however, are considered to be kind of dumb, so I'm just going to use that data to assume that I have the best accent of all
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

how sad
    9w?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Pathetic, really.

That being said, I can't help but find certain accents like nails on a chalkboard. I don't trust the person any less than would happen otherwise, I just kind of want them to shut up.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Lying is linked to intelligence. Maybe that's why I trust simple spoken rural accents more in their earnestness. Not that southerners aren't smart, but their intelligence doesn't often come from their verbalizations.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Lying is linked to intelligence. Maybe that's why I trust simple spoken rural accents more in their earnestness. Not that southerners aren't smart, but their intelligence doesn't often come from their verbalizations.
    You're apparently unaware of the vast canon of literature by Southern writers. Their intelligence often doesn't come from their verbalizations?

It's just a less hostile culture, more friendly, trusting, and accepting. Personable.

Lying may be linked to intelligence but I can assure you that Southern people generally know how to lie, and their honesty is linked to culture, not intelligence.

I think hard core New Yorkers sound absolutely retarded, ftr (like that whole Brooklyn, Beastie Boys accent). They sound more idiotic to me than any Southerner ever could, so it's all a matter of perception.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I think in the UK at least it may be linked to class and money (and to a lesser extent, here too) and I guess the upper classes are seen as less trustworthy?

That's my guess.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This may be something which is unique to the UK but university research has indicated that in the UK at least regional accents, such as northern england, scotland and ireland's accents are trusted more than received english pronounciation. It has been linked to the banking scandals and recession but the banks have simply substituted regional phone centres or voice ad actors for english ones.
    I think it goes back even before the recent crises. I watched a documentary from around 2000 on the English language and it addressed this subject briefly. Apparently many English companies put their call centres in Glasgow because people find the accent soothing and gave a sense of dependability.

I can personally attest to this as I had a Scottish professor at uni who I found a dream to listen to in lectures
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte