User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Materialism, how does a system come about which doesnt result in happiness?

Well, you don't have to look very hard to find a study saying that materialism has a devastating toll on the happiness fund as well as the bank account. While we have an entire economic system and popular culture built to cater to it, science says that endless pursuit of stuff leads to decreased life satisfaction, decreased happiness, depression, paranoia and narcissism. Holy shit!

Read more: 5 Scientific Reasons Your Idea of Happiness Is Wrong | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19376...#ixzz1UTdpHepr
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19376...feature_module

I've heard this a dozen times, from dozens of good authors, there are even some capitalist and libertarian authors who at least theoretically object to materialism as strongly as their opposite numbers.

The thing is that no matter how many studies I read indicating that there is no correlation between materialism and happiness I cant account for materialism emerging as the dominant cultural paradigm unless people believe that it is synonymous with happiness regardless of the evidence or research or theory.

How does that happen? Is it just the cultural equivalent of being an reconstructed crack addict, knowing that you're doing yourself and others no good but being unable to live any other way?

MBTI
    ENTP

People are monkeys. Monkeys like shiny things. Monkeys also like to be happy but that often takes too much effort, too much foresight, would rather just play with shiny things.
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The thing is that no matter how many studies I read indicating that there is no correlation between materialism and happiness I cant account for materialism emerging as the dominant cultural paradigm unless people believe that it is synonymous with happiness regardless of the evidence or research or theory.

How does that happen? Is it just the cultural equivalent of being an reconstructed crack addict, knowing that you're doing yourself and others no good but being unable to live any other way?
    Not to be glib, but I'd say the simple answer is good marketing. I think that in general most people feel unfulfilled by their lives, and they are inundated with messages that say, "If you have x, you'll feel whole/happy/sexy/younger/whatever." So they buy the widget that's supposed to make them feel good, they discover that it's a sham, and rather than admit that they've been fooled they put up a good front about it. They brag to their neighbors about their widget, so their neighbors buy one. Then suddenly there's a room full of people with widgets they fucking hate congratulating themselves and each other about their fucking widgets at which point most people most people are too stupid or scared to admit to themselves or others that they've been suckered into wasting money on nonsense. So now youre stuck hoping that a widget upgrade or a widget-cessory will be the thing that makes this widget The Thing You Were Promised. But there's no there there. Conspicuous consumption is the ponzi scheme of the soul.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    People are monkeys. Monkeys like shiny things. Monkeys also like to be happy but that often takes too much effort, too much foresight, would rather just play with shiny things.
    This 100%.

People often don't take into account the big picture, rather most people only veiw the world through their own selfish perspective, and when given the oppertunity to act off instincts of greed and indulgence, they happily go about it without so much as a thought. Granted though, a culture based around consumerism, commercials, entertainmant, and pleasure naturally effects the psychology of these selfish individuals as well. Thus when you combine the mentality of 'I want what makes me happy now!' with social cohesion of 'buying lots of stuff is good', you get rampant materialism.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

One could also take into account how materialism also fuels events like the London looting currently ongoing.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

I expected Lark to go from materialism as a lifestyle to materialism as an ontological position when I read the quote. It appears it did not really happen, but maybe he still thinks they are the same or at least connected. Time will tell.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Not to be glib, but I'd say the simple answer is good marketing. I think that in general most people feel unfulfilled by their lives, and they are inundated with messages that say, "If you have x, you'll feel whole/happy/sexy/younger/whatever." So they buy the widget that's supposed to make them feel good, they discover that it's a sham, and rather than admit that they've been fooled they put up a good front about it. They brag to their neighbors about their widget, so their neighbors buy one. Then suddenly there's a room full of people with widgets they fucking hate congratulating themselves and each other about their fucking widgets at which point most people most people are too stupid or scared to admit to themselves or others that they've been suckered into wasting money on nonsense. So now youre stuck hoping that a widget upgrade or a widget-cessory will be the thing that makes this widget The Thing You Were Promised. But there's no there there. Conspicuous consumption is the ponzi scheme of the soul.
    I think its marketing too but surely you reach a point when you know better and hasnt the tipping point been reached yet where everyone knows its a bad trip?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    One could also take into account how materialism also fuels events like the London looting currently ongoing.
    Oh, very much so, I believe that the entitlement culture which conservative politicians and pundits rightly rant about is caused more by consumerism or materialism than the availability of benefits.

Benefits or charity have always been around, this is something else what's been going on.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If lark makes another politics thread, but no one cares, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    pretty much.

we also like to make other people jealous with our shiny things. my thing is shinier than your thing!
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green