I am shocked. Shocked.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

^ If we (yeah, I use "we", because the entire western world could be considered allies in this)... If we "disentangle" ourselves from the Persian Gulf, then the arab states can change oil currency and raise oil prices as much as they want without us being able to control them.
    They *will* get greedy if we leave, and one should have no illusions whatsoever that they care about our welfare at all.
    As if that wasn't enough, Israel will be wiped off the map as soon as the U.S Navy looks the other way.
    Sure, I am no Israel supporter but i'm more fond of them, despite their ruthless and inhuman ways, than I am of the islamic countries reigning free in the area.
    The funny thing is that Israel stabilizes the area and gives the arabs a sense of unity because they are an outward threat. If there were no outward threat, they'd just fight each other and the situation would be even worse.
    As it is, the trouble is concentrated to more or less one spot.

As for other countries being wiped off the map... South Korea, Japan and Taiwan would no longer exist beyond the scope of a couple of decades if the U.S navy disappeared from the pacific ocean and withdrew their naval bases in those countries.
    China would simply swallow them whole.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well as far as I can tell the US and China have a suicide pact going on, so I'm not sure.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm all for getting rid of medicaid and medicare if we replace them with a universal health care system like that belonging to other first world countries. Take your pick, it could be like the UK, or it could be like Germany, or could be like Canada. There many kinds to choose from, but they have common qualities that so-called Obamacare doesn't, and of course our current plan doesn't replace medicaid and medicare at all. If we did do that, we could probably cut the cost of health care in half, which would be a big chunk of our budget.

But I wouldn't agree to it without eviscerating the defense budget, raising taxes, and closing loopholes/getting rid of breaks and exemptions.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I liked the Spanish system from what a Spaniard told me, but then again, aren't they one of the PIGS?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Question for the Americans: Who are the American public blaming for this? Not you personally, but the general response out there.

I just wondered what effect this will have on the political situation. I noticed the GOP is blaming Obama but I'm unsure whether people generally agree with that assessment. Do people point the finger at one party or the other, or will Obama's leadership be under scrutiny? Do you think it garner more long-term support for the tea party crowd?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENFJ

I am not sure. I blame the tea party, but my father seems to blame Obama.

The people who like the tea party do not think this is a big deal, or at least think it is "deserved."

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Question for the Americans: Who are the American public blaming for this? Not you personally, but the general response out there.

I just wondered what effect this will have on the political situation. I noticed the GOP is blaming Obama but I'm unsure whether people generally agree with that assessment. Do people point the finger at one party or the other, or will Obama's leadership be under scrutiny? Do you think it garner more long-term support for the tea party crowd?
    I blame them all - not only for this one toddler-poop fight but for the entire mess that is our central govt.

There's no such thing as long-term support. Think of the US as an emotional, indecisive woman who, every four years, leaves the abusive boyfriend she's with to go on a four-year romp with another abusive boyfriend who's better at making promises. That's American politics in a simplistic, cyclical nutshell.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Here is my question. Since our credit rating is now downgraded.. does this affect how the US dollar is considered the standard unit of currency in global commodity markets? Do we lose our place for having the rest of the worlds currency pegged to the dollar? How does that happen if it happens? And what would it mean?
    The USA owns, controls and prints the Reserve Currency of the World, and kills rather than lose the Reserve Currency.

Saddam tried to sell his oil in euros rather than US dollars, so they hauled him out of his spider hole and hanged him, but not before publicly degrading him first. So Saddam is an object lesson to anyone who wants to change the Reserve Currency.

To own, control and print the Reserve Currency of the World is the wet dream of every mercantile State.

So for the sake of analysis it is important to know that the USA is a merchantile empire, it is not a territorial empire, nor a religious empire, nor even a military empire. The USA military are simply there to support the Reserve Currency.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

S&P wanted the 4 trillion plan Obama offered that would also raise much needed revenues, instead of just 2 trillion in straight cuts. They also took this deal to indicate that Republicans will succeed in trying to extend the Bush Tax Cuts again, which the rating agency didn't want. That, on top of not doing a clean debt deal, with all the infighting, showing them that we falter too long on public debt owed.

However, S&P is only 1 or the Big 3 rating agencies. And now there's controversy on whether they made a $2 trillion error in their math.