User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    This reminds me of the murder of John T. Williams.
    I started yelling at my computer after I first read about it.
    Seeing a dozen men with guns approach the dead body and then jerk it around afterwards made me want to punch something.
    I'm still mad. Police brutality happens far too often.
    Of course the cop got away with it.
    Wow, I thought you were talking about the guy shot by the SFPD. That's another
    guy Kenneth Harding. http://www.californiabeat.org/2011/0...ing-of-parolee

They said they found the gun Harding was carrying and it was proof that the shooting was justified. I was in SF when protesters shut down the Mission BART station.

Cases of excessive force by police or security in the US are very common. We live in a police state. This kind of stuff doesn't happen as often in other comparable GDP developed countries where not even cops carry guns.

I have seen two very disturbing and graphic images today in 'Politics' etc. involving animal abuse or police brutality. Nice, I'm gonna skip the articles now and just read the commentary.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    We live in a police state.
    No. No, we don't. Read "1984" by George Orwell.

Then watch this movie:

[YOUTUBE="iyn3monW8b4"]Das Leben Die Anderen[/YOUTUBE]

And come back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

MBTI
    GONE

Um...no thanks I don't want to go see that with you.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

I said nothing about involving me in your viewing of this motion picture at all. I'm certain you have Netflix, put it in your queue or look for at Blockbuster, even.
    It is an excellent film, as "1984" is also an excellent book. Both will give you a taste of what a real police state is like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Cases of excessive force by police or security in the US are very common. We live in a police state. This kind of stuff doesn't happen as often in other comparable GDP developed countries where not even cops carry guns.
    Yeah, and even if Police had arrived in a timely fashion, during the massacre in Norway, they wouldn't have been able to do jack about it because their officers aren't armed (that will likely change now).

Just as you claim it's commonplace for officers to use excessive force/power (sure it happens, and any incident over one is too many, but still it's not rampant when you look at the number of incidents compared to the number of law abiding officers doing their job properly day in and day out), there's the other side to that nickel where cops are being killed and assaulted. Simply, the police would not have any authority in this country if you took away his/her sidearm. Countries that don't have armed officers don't have a significant crime problem and aren't seeing 500+ homicides a year, like in NYC. If these countries do have a crime problem, it sure as hell won't get any better when you tie law enforcement's hands behind their back and take away their right/ability to adequately defend themselves and others, in the line of them doing their job.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

This is really sad, frankly. I rather wonder that anyone is prepared to tolerate the police behaving like this, however bad the criminals are.

Controlled, even lethal violence is sometimes a necessary recourse for the police when they are in dangerous situations, but I can't see any justification for this level of sustained violence at all. Even had he been armed (which no one seems to be suggesting in any case) "beating to a pulp" is not a necessary component of disarmament; you just need to get the damn weapon off them, then only as much further damage as it takes to restrain them securely. With 5 large trained men against one that doesn't seem particularly powerful, equipped with handcuffs, tazers, sticks and all, it wouldn't be too hard to arrive at the situation where there was nothing he could really do except wriggle and protest a bit, as seems to have been the case. There's no legitimate reason to inflict any further harm once you have the situation under control to that extent, which they clearly did; so questions of whether he was armed or not or had a record are really irrelevant.

They seem to have used the level of violence they did purely he wouldn't submit to their dominance (probably because, being crazy, he was unable to fully appreciate the magnitude of the situation he was in). I think "resisting arrest" was how they explain and attempt to justify his failure to submit to them and agknowledge that they were his superiors in the social heirarchy of the streets, and the violence was being used to try to enforce that submission. Due to the fact that he was not aware of the appropriate behaviour if he wished to preserve his life (or maybe didn't make the connection) and the very high level of police aggression, this didn't have the desired effect before it had fatal consequences. It seems to be a very testosterone-driven "alpha male" act of instinctive, brutish mob violence in that sense; more the thing the police are SUPPOSED to be there to help protect us from than to be inflicting on people themselves.

If the authorities support this kind of behaviour by protecting the perpetrators, it will show that they are more concerned with having large and aggressive baboons around to intimidate the smaller baboons into submission than operating a responsible and evolved policy of law enforcement befitting the human species.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    STP

Although the title tries to suggest otherwise, I think this person, like many, was the primary contributor to his own suffering and death. Unsurprisingly, among his "totured screams" (lol, gotta love the media) you can hear him state rather plainly "I didn't do anything to you"... yeah, except resist arrest. As far as whether it was justified to beat him to death, it's hard to say... I believe they did the right thing to the point that he was failing to submit, I don't care how gentle you supposedly are--your true nature comes out in the face of submitting to an authority, and in this sense he wasn't cooperating, so his suffering should be expected.

People who resist the police and then act like it's some surprise deserve the beating they get. Seriously, what are you thinking? You're going to make a point by disobeying? That's just stupid, I'm afraid.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Iacobus View Post
    Although the title tries to suggest otherwise, I think this person, like many, was the primary contributor to his own suffering and death. Unsurprisingly, among his "totured screams" (lol, gotta love the media) you can hear him state clearly "I didn't do anything to you"... yeah, except resist arrest. As far as whether it was justified to beat him to death, it's hard to say... I believe they did the right thing to the point that he was failing to submit, I don't care how gentle you supposedly are--your true nature comes out in the face of submitting to an authority, and in this sense he wasn't cooperating, so his suffering should be expected.
    I think you might be a crazy person.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think you might be a crazy person.
    Good point. Consider a career in journalism.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Iacobus View Post
    Good point. Consider a career in journalism.
    They beat a man to death for resisting arrest. Where is that justified, Soviet Russia?

You're right. We should always submit to authority. Heil Hitler.

Freak.