User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 96

  1. #31
    Senior Member knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    From a cop, that's not a proper attitude, I'll heartily agree.
    From a soldier/Marine... you do realize their entire job is to kill people, right?
    Why get soldiers/Marines who don't want to kill people? You hesitate on the battlefield, you die. It's one thing for us to romanticize the unwilling draftee in our lyrical productions and Hollywood films, but soldiers and Marines in today's armed forces are volunteers, and they go through quite rigorous training for one single purpose: to kill other human beings. Like really, man, that's all they're trained to do. (Just ask any veteran who's been honorably discharged how they're doing adapting to a civilian job market, and you'll see what I mean) That is the proper mentality for the armed forces. It is not for the police.

    Love, your friendly neighborhood mong.
    there is always the swat team, or gang units.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I'm going to need more information before I say much. In cases like this, where there's very limited information available as to what led up to the incident that got someone hurt/killed, I've noticed people always assume the best of the suspect and the worst of the officers involved.



    Who's to say there was no weapon involved this time? Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. No need to let the blood boil before the facts come out though. If anyone intends to follow this story, keep us updated.
    Yep. The rabble-rousing is premature. Facts should be the basis for a critical judgment, not a post-mortem addendum.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  3. #33
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    From a cop, that's not a proper attitude, I'll heartily agree.
    From a soldier/Marine... you do realize their entire job is to kill people, right?
    Why get soldiers/Marines who don't want to kill people? You hesitate on the battlefield, you die. It's one thing for us to romanticize the unwilling draftee in our lyrical productions and Hollywood films, but soldiers and Marines in today's armed forces are volunteers, and they go through quite rigorous training for one single purpose: to kill other human beings. Like really, man, that's all they're trained to do. (Just ask any veteran who's been honorably discharged how they're doing adapting to a civilian job market, and you'll see what I mean) That is the proper mentality for the armed forces. It is not for the police.

    Love, your friendly neighborhood mong.
    I disagree. I went into the military ready to kill, but not hoping for it. If your desire is blood shed for the sake of spilling blood, you need a shrink, not a weapon.

    Thanks for being a friendly mong though

  4. #34
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    The video was rather disturbing. Of particular note were the screams of the dying man, which were eerily reminiscent of those of Timothy Treadwell when he was being eaten alive by grizzly bears; the sound of a helpless man being murdered. In some ways I wish we could see into the hearts of these police officers, to know what their specific motivations were. They have a job where they are at risk of being killed, and I can see how sometimes violence might be more easily provoked from men and women who are often in danger, but in this case I don't see why this happened. What were they thinking???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #35
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Yep. The rabble-rousing is premature. Facts should be the basis for a critical judgment, not a post-mortem addendum.
    Agreed. However, I believe that IF this person really had some kind of weapon, IF video footage revealed him provoking or giving reasonable cause for the officers to act as they did, SOME kind of info would have already been communicated. This took place almost 4 weeks ago. That is quite some time to get stories and evidence together.

    "Since his death, his family and members of the community have held protests outside the police department headquarters, looking for answers"

    My gut feeling is that had the department had any leg to stand on.. it would've already been communicated in an effort to offset public outrage.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  6. #36
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes that's the problem. I think police should be more educated, something, there should be some kind of psychological testing, I don't know.

    I know we have to have the police, and that there are good cops.
    Everything the police do should be recorded, even their trips to the bathroom. They cannot be trusted. They lie as often as the criminals they're supposedly trying to catch.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #37
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Kelly Thomas's father is a retired Orange County sheriff’s deputy himself.

    This will not be swept under the rug.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Kelly Thomas's father is a retired Orange County sheriff’s deputy himself.

    This will not be swept under the rug.
    If that's the only reason it doesn't get "swept under the rug", that's just more evidence of corruption.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #39
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Everything the police do should be recorded, even their trips to the bathroom. They cannot be trusted. They lie as often as the criminals they're supposedly trying to catch.
    Or not because ANY expansion in recording piloted with the authorities themselves will be expanded to the public, whether it's declared or not.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    The video was rather disturbing. Of particular note were the screams of the dying man, which were eerily reminiscent of those of Timothy Treadwell when he was being eaten alive by grizzly bears; the sound of a helpless man being murdered. In some ways I wish we could see into the hearts of these police officers, to know what their specific motivations were. They have a job where they are at risk of being killed, and I can see how sometimes violence might be more easily provoked from men and women who are often in danger, but in this case I don't see why this happened. What were they thinking???
    Really? Or is suggesting that its so unfathomable about putting distance between yourself and the perps or differentiating yourself from them?

    To be honest I think anyone is capable of this, I think that's part of the reason its horrifying, even if its only unconsciously there's a small part of everyone which asks what if I did that? Or even that kind of thing is tempting isnt it? Jung called it the shadow and I think he was nearest the mark with that analysis.

    Maybe these officers were traumatised, maybe they'd hardened their hearts but maybe this guy was an asshole and had the bad luck to behave like an asshole with the wrong people or maybe he wasnt even that big an asshole, just in the wrong place at the wrong time when the hyena mentality was set in.

    You can see this sort of behaviour among dogs or animals too and its really apparent with nursery age children, I've seen some truly worrying documentary footage of "new comer baby/infant in the pen with established group" and it gets cut short before one of the kids beats the new comer infant over the head with a stick, the narrator talks about the conscience of the adult film crew compelling them to act, no shit, I was glad what I saw up til them didnt cheer me up any about humankind.

Similar Threads

  1. How NFPs sometimes make me feel...
    By Athenian200 in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
  2. How this makes you feel ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 06:08 PM
  3. This makes me happy, very, very happy.
    By Atomic Fiend in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 05:57 PM
  4. What does it mean if this makes me want to hang myself?
    By swordpath in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO