User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 62

  1. #11
    Senior Member jimrckhnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    455

    Default

    My natural condition is sloth. Give me a stack of books and sufficent curry and I really don't have much reason to do much else. And I'm really good at reading and eating Indian food and I'd be happy to get paid for it. However, I'm not sure whats in it for the rest of society and why they might pay me for it.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Don't you think some Western European countries already do this in a reasonable way? Like France puts middle school aged kids on a track according to their interests so they get plenty of immersion in what they like or are actually good at before they attend university (where as American education - in the mainstream - tends to be more generic and geared toward producing workers and capitalists) ...and then if you can pass the Bac you get to go to university for FREE. Health care is totally available, and the government will send nannies into the homes of new mothers to assist them.

    I think that's probably the closest you can realistically get to that. People still have to work and generate income.

  3. #13
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    My natural condition is sloth. Give me a stack of books and sufficent curry and I really don't have much reason to do much else. And I'm really good at reading and eating Indian food and I'd be happy to get paid for it. However, I'm not sure whats in it for the rest of society and why they might pay me for it.
    The greatest pleasure is to do things for their own sake. This is how we make discoveries and find pleasure.

  4. #14
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    This reminds me of an article I read about Soviet mathematicians that one of the good things that came out of Soviet communism was that mathematicians weren't pushed to learn math to earn more money, so embraced math as a deeper artform...it's overall a more holistic approach to math and I can tell you I had one of these teachers in college and he's the only person that ever got through to me with higher math. The way he explained it made more sense to me, while some students were annoyed with what they thought was "unnecessary" is actually what helped me to finally get it. I struggled miserably with math once I got into Algebra II in high school, and made a C in remedial college Algebra, then walked out of his class with an A.

    EDIT: found the article

    Math as it ought to be practiced, math as the ultimate flight of the imagination, is something money can't buy.

  5. #15
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I think this is possible. I think a number of societies based on principals not possible today will be possible in the future with the advent of information technology and computation. I know this sounds like a very utopian egghead prediction, something that might be made about the year 2000 from someone in a labcoat in the 1960's. But our little wave of new tech is still only in its infancy, only effectively around 50 years old. Of course it would take some interesting twist and turns for us to get there.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    A society like that is not sustainable. There would be nothing in place to motivate people to produce the goods that everyone wants to consume.

  7. #17
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,961

    Default

    it's a nice dream, why is everyone trying to explain what's logically wrong with it??

  8. #18
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    it's a nice dream, why is everyone trying to explain what's logically wrong with it??
    Well I was thinking about how to create it.

  9. #19
    You have a choice! 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    Money is not important. Love is. Everyone should be loved for just being, then the world would be a much nicer place.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

  10. #20
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Don't you think some Western European countries already do this in a reasonable way? Like France puts middle school aged kids on a track according to their interests so they get plenty of immersion in what they like or are actually good at before they attend university (where as American education - in the mainstream - tends to be more generic and geared toward producing workers and capitalists) ...and then if you can pass the Bac you get to go to university for FREE. Health care is totally available, and the government will send nannies into the homes of new mothers to assist them.

    I think that's probably the closest you can realistically get to that. People still have to work and generate income.
    Except the nannies, here it's more or less like that (university has a very small fee...less than one month of work). Still, it's very far from what ygolo suggests, given that you still need to work to rent an apartment, eat, etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. Should white mom be paid for brown baby mistake?
    By iwakar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-28-2014, 05:20 AM
  2. Being full of contradictions, and getting scolded for it
    By danseen in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2013, 09:22 AM
  3. WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST BE FWIENDS?!?!
    By Costrin in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Do you ever get "hungry" for a good argument?
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 12:31 AM
  5. Just Being "Nice"
    By labyrinthine in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO