123 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default English language test require for foreign spouses - UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14298352

Just curious to know what you guys think about this.

A friend of mine and her husband are currently affected by this rule, so it's come to my attention a bit more. She's very much on the side that it's completely racist and discriminatory and should be eliminated, not surprisingly given her situation.

Personally, I think that if the tests are too difficult perhaps the difficulty should be scaled down - apparently they are fairly difficult. However, I think the requirement is perfectly reasonable. There are plenty of people who try to take advantage of the system, and the UK is understandably concerned about integration.

On the other hand, I'm also well aware that I come from a position of privilege in this regard - I live in the UK and I'm not British (Canadian) but I have dual citizenship due to ancestry, although my second passport is another EU country, not the UK.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

It's totally fine, but it shouldn't be too difficult. In many cases it can be advantageous for the spouse, too - given that he-she might become socially isolated without being able to speak the language of where he-she is living.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think it's a great idea. Hopefully it's already in place for regular immigration as well. Not crazy difficult tests, but at least speaking and writing well enough to communicate and be gainfully employed.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

They should also do a test for nagging while they are at it
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Its a consequence of the fact that phoney marriages between british and foreign nationals have become so popular.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I have to admit I'm a little irritated about my friend's sudden evangelical zeal over this. Her husband, who is from the Middle East and currently still living out there (though not in his home country), actually took the test today. He had no English at all before so he's been learning - she does speak Arabic so it's not that they can't communicate.

But although I have no intention of saying it in these words to her, I kind of think, suck it up. Concentrate on him getting his level of English good enough to pass the test (if he doesn't pass it this time, though hopefully he will), instead of getting all righteous about how this is a human rights violation. I think I feel irritated because she ran off and married the guy when she didn't even know him that well - and when I found out about it, everything in terms of cultural challenges, financial challenges, visa issues, etc etc etc just flashed through my head - and further discussion with her (of course, the marriage was a done deal by then) revealed that no, she hadn't thought any of it through at all because true love is just supposed to carry the day and anything which stands in the way of that is evil. Sigh.

Rant over. One thing I genuinely don't think is very good is that candidates for the tests have to wait long periods of time to do the test. If my friend's husband fails this time, I don't think he gets a chance to try again till November or something.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

They could give him a temporary permit to move there but with a constraint: he can't leave the house.

:P

Besides, it is definitely a racist and discriminatory policy; however, it's passive racism and discrimination, and given that nations are sovereign over their own territories, it's really hard to find any logical or ethical basis for any kind of opposition.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Heh. Yeah, given that she's freaking out about any English test at all being discriminatory and racist, I'm sure that would go down well.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Ah well, when a problem arises, solve it. Learn English. Can't be too difficult for the non-native english speaker considering English is the most popular language around.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Ah well, when a problem arises, solve it. Learn English. Can't be too difficult for the non-native english speaker considering English is the most popular language around.
    This is the thing...if you want to move to an English speaking country, why be so resistant to learning at least a reasonable level of the language?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING