User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's wrong and stupid, but it's not racist.

I wish people would stop using that word so liberally, because it waters down the concept of racism. People begin to think, "if that is racist, then maybe racism isn't so bad."

The U.K. has an immigration problem, but this is not a solution for it.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

I think it's very prudent on the part of the UK government. People in the UK speak English. I wish Canada had a similar policy.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I think it's very prudent on the part of the UK government. People in the UK speak English. I wish Canada had a similar policy.
    Canada does have a similar policy.

You must know English or French

English and French are the official languages of Canada. You need to be able to speak English or French well enough to communicate with people. That is, you must know enough of one of the two languages to understand other people and for them to understand you.
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...ions/howto.asp

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Oh yes, indeed.
    Though sometimes, we could look at it in the ways of other countries where if, for example, you wanted to live in Japan and the Japanese disallow you to do so because of your lack of knowing japanese the offense could be more easily understood. Now we could take that to every country in the world where to live in any country in the world you must know the particular language of that country you wish to live in. If such were the case how many would you think would have to move back to their own countries. You'd find many native english speakers themselves falling back to their own countries they went away from to find a good job in the first place. All cos they've not learnt the language in the country they live in. Many would fall miserable I assume.
    Wait, what would be the problem with that? I do see the value in allowing exceptions (for ESL teachers and similar) and certainly grandfathering people in if you're going to change the rules suddenly, but otherwise I don't see a problem with that being a global rule.

Mind you, it is a little different for english because realistically, it IS spoken in enough countries that you can get by with it most places. Probably mostly because of tourism but also things like global business etc. So an english-only speaker in France or something will be infinitely better off (and more employable) than an indonesian-only speaker in the US or other english-dominant country..
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Wait, what would be the problem with that? I do see the value in allowing exceptions (for ESL teachers and similar) and certainly grandfathering people in if you're going to change the rules suddenly, but otherwise I don't see a problem with that being a global rule.
    Well, I'm not sure I personally see it as a problem also, but others might. Some would be upset about it. Learn the language or leave kind of thing.
    Mind you, it is a little different for english because realistically, it IS spoken in enough countries that you can get by with it most places. Probably mostly because of tourism but also things like global business etc. So an english-only speaker in France or something will be infinitely better off (and more employable) than an indonesian-only speaker in the US or other english-dominant country..
    Oh yes, you're right. As I said in a before post with the world not being in optimum equality. We must move to the side that makes things easier for us I suppose.

How can you abide by laws if you can't understand the language of the land? And why should taxpayers pay for translations/translators for anyone who can't be bothered to learn the language?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    That's to become a citizen. There is no language proficiency requirement for "family-sponsored" immigrants seeking permanent residency, i.e. if you become a permanent resident or citizen you could bring your whole family with you, whether or not they speak a lick of English or French.