First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Ah well, when a problem arises, solve it. Learn English. Can't be too difficult for the non-native english speaker considering English is the most popular language around.
    Now THAT is something unfair and racist, why should it be easier to learn a language just because it's the most popular around? Indeed I would enjoy if italian was the most widely spoken language, since part of my intellect which is now wasted by storing information in another language could and would be easily directed towards higher pursuits.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I admit that native English speakers have a lot of advantages and if anything we probably need to work harder to eliminate prejudice. I speak English and French fluently, some SPanish, and a smattering of Finnish, but a lot of English speakers only speak ENglish and have no interest in any other languages. And we tend to assume (more or less correctly) that almost everywhere we go in the world people will pick up the slack and speak at least a bit of English back to us. I have every admiration for the people from non-English-speaking countries who put forth the effort to learn English because it's the most useful language, because they want to travel or live abroad, etc.

But that said, I still think there are very valid reasons for this law and people would be better employed trying to fulfill the requirements rather than getting all huffy about the fact that it exists.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

To me, a better alternative is to force the spouse to speak English while in the U.K..

Condition being that the spouse can live in the U.K.. But for the spouse to stay in the U.K., the person needs to learn English and pass the test.

Speaking the language of choice of a country opens up many more possibilities than not speaking it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    This is the thing...if you want to move to an English speaking country, why be so resistant to learning at least a reasonable level of the language?
    Oh yes, indeed.
    Though sometimes, we could look at it in the ways of other countries where if, for example, you wanted to live in Japan and the Japanese disallow you to do so because of your lack of knowing japanese the offense could be more easily understood. Now we could take that to every country in the world where to live in any country in the world you must know the particular language of that country you wish to live in. If such were the case how many would you think would have to move back to their own countries. You'd find many native english speakers themselves falling back to their own countries they went away from to find a good job in the first place. All cos they've not learnt the language in the country they live in. Many would fall miserable I assume.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Now THAT is something unfair and racist, why should it be easier to learn a language just because it's the most popular around? Indeed I would enjoy if italian was the most widely spoken language, since part of my intellect which is now wasted by storing information in another language could and would be easily directed towards higher pursuits.
    It's easier because the language is being bombarded towards you constantly. The current way the world is isn't necessarily given in optimum equality. Easiest way to deal with it in such a case is to jump to the heavier side of the pivot.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    It's easier because the language is being bombarded towards you constantly. The current way the world is isn't necessarily given in optimum equality. Easiest way to deal with it in such a case is to jump to the heavier side of the pivot.
    Yeah OF COURSE I know. I was just trolling a bit.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    intp

I think this is a good policy. If you're not willing to learn the language, then what chance is there that you'll assimilate into the culture?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    I think this is a good policy. If you're not willing to learn the language, then what chance is there that you'll assimilate into the culture?
    Because you really think that learning to speak a simple language such as english means that a person will assimilate into the culture? Naah, not really. You need to be born there, or at least have spent time over there as a small kid.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    intp

You may have misunderstood me. Learning the language is a signal that you are committed to finding a place within the community.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    You may have misunderstood me. Learning the language is a signal that you are committed to finding a place within the community.
    Why? I don't even want to have a place within the italian community, for the matter. I'm myself, no need to deal with a superimposed social structure.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp