User Tag List

12 Last

Default 14yo US Boy (Recruited By Mexican Drug Cartel) Sentenced to 3 Years for Beheading 4

Story Link

A 14-year-old American citizen has been found guilty in a Mexican court of torturing and beheading at least four people and kidnapping three others. Judge Jose Luis Jaimes sentenced the teenager, known as "El Ponchis" ("The Cloak") to three years in a correctional facility -- the maximum sentence allowed under Mexican law because of his age. The teen also must pay a 4.5 million-peso fine (about $400,000). Mexican authorities also said the 14-year-old was responsible for at least three kidnappings as an operative for the South Pacific Cartel.

"How many have you killed?" one reporter asks. "Four," responds the accused, who seems calm and collected in a video of the interview." How did you execute them?" the questioner continues. "I slit their throats," the teen replies. Authorities recorded the video only hours after they arrested the teenager near Mexico City last December as he was allegedly trying to catch a flight to Tijuana to flee to the United States. A YouTube video that circulated last year purportedly showed the teenager beating a man with a two-by-four while the man was tied at the wrists and hanging from the ceiling, as other young people watched.
    I can't believe I didn't hear about this sooner. I suppose released public information was rather limited because he was a minor. These drug cartels are recruiting these guys younger and younger. This is little different than what is going on in parts of Africa where rebel groups are forcing young children into roving armies that hack their way through the oppositional countryside.

What is going on in these cartels that they can be this successful in brainwashing young people? Do they convince them with death threats? Are there large financial incentives? Do they cultivate an intense, bubble-like society similar to a cult and brainwash these kids? Or is it developing a loyal, camaradic hierarchy like in urban street gangs (which are likely closely involved with the distribution of the drugs) where they can earn status/power?

Also, what do you all think about this teenager's sentencing?

In general, I am woefully uninformed on this rapidly growing problem along our border.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE

wow... there are videos circulating the net of him torturing his victims.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Totally epic career move. I recommend it. If you have to behead someone, do it as a kid, kids. The penalty is considerably reduced and you'll get 'cool kid' street cred. Awwweeessome.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm less inclined to think this kid was brainwashed and more inclined to believe he's got screws loose in the first place.. I don't know what to make of things like this.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm less inclined to think this kid was brainwashed and more inclined to believe he's got screws loose in the first place.. I don't know what to make of things like this.
    Well that is definitely a possibility, but while he is extremely young he is one of many in a growing problem. They can't all be cuckoo.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Or is it developing a loyal, camaradic hierarchy like in urban street gangs (which are likely closely involved with the distribution of the drugs) where they can earn status/power?
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I think a combination of these two factors is the most likely explanation. Messed up.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP

Kids that age are very malleable. A combination of drugs and breaking any pre existing emotional bonds and making them dependent on another authority figure leaves them open to suggestion – even suggestions to kill. And once they do it once its much easier to kill again. It's an old technique that has been used many time in many circumstances.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It's not impossible for a young teenager to be capable of committing such atrocities, nor should punishment be weak. Life in prison, or better yet, death, would be far better. Also, this is all the more reason to elimate drug cartels off the face of the earth, or at the very least end the war on drugs; anything that can stop these monsters.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Great message to send to all those kiddies who think he's the most badass thing on the planet: behead people, get a slap on the wrist and three years of prison. Sure, he might have been a victim of circumstance, but is three years really going to do any good?
    Last edited by mujigay; 07-28-2011 at 06:52 PM.