User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default YYYYYYYYYAY! I mean - 'Child Free Zones' becoming new trend, your thoughts?

Heehee, heehee, this makes me happy:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/paren...ading-2516110/

Not that I hate children. In fact, I really want to have kids someday. However, as a single person I'd much prefer not to deal with bad and absent parents and their brats children when I'm trying to do errands if possible. I know babies cry and children have tantrums, that's what they do. I sympathize with parents who have to deal with this in public because I understand the added pressure of social stigma when dealing with unruly or unhappy children in public.

For me the real issue isn't "children being children" but it's how frazzled and frankly aggravating the combination of wild children + entitled parents can be when you're in public. My friend was telling me how it's common at one Whole Foods location in SF for women to cut in line and assert haughtily, "I have 3 kids with me!"

I've also noticed a lot of parents who seem to think their children are adorable no matter what they do and not actually parent them in public - as in they let their children run in the way of other adults, play hide and seek in racks of clothing other merchandise as you're trying to look through, and use other adults as romper room furniture. There have been more than a few times I've had kids age 10 and under do something like this to me and when I locate and look at their parent, the parent beams at me with this giant grin like they can't believe how cute their grand/kid is and how I must obviously be so amused that their child is pawing through my shit and that's why I'm staring at them. I honest to god have had more than 1 occasion where I've wanted to tell that parent "Go fuck yourself". And I think fortified by popular sentiment I shall now do so in the future! Hwahwahwa!

So no, it's not the behavior of the children so much as the delusional parent shutters and pushy entitlement of some parents that pisses me off. Apparently I am not the only one who feels this way.

I think with the 'family hours' at certain movie theaters and such the gradual separation of 'kid time' vs 'adult only time' doesn't have to be a bad thing. It'll balance out. Also, I think people with kids will find more camraderie and less grumpiness during family focused shopping/movie hours than hanging with the child haters.

By the way, I do think some of the proposed bans and attitudes are extreme and very 'I hate kids' with broad strokes. However, I think this whole 'family hours' vs 'singles hours' things could work out very favorably.

I also don't think there is a backlash against kids in the states. Kids and tweens account for way too much revenue to be shut out completely. I'm actually surprised at some of these 'no kids under 6' etc. bans but I'm guessing for those businesses it makes more economic sense to cater to child-less customers.

Anywhoo, what do you think?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I dunno.

I'm annoyed by bad parenting / badly behaved kids, but on the other hand it sucks for good parents and well-behaved kids to be punished/restricted just because of some bad apples. In effect, it's an anti-kid policy and anti-parent policy. Are we moving back to a "kids are seen, not heard" policy in society? (Or, more like, "kids aren't seen, aren't heard"?)

I did notice a change in our area with movie theaters -- nowadays some of the showings are restricted to 21 and over. Which seems fine, since it's an equal split (sometimes the showings run simultaneously), and if teens want to come and hang and screw around during the movie, it won't interfere with the demographic more inclined to quietly watch a picture.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned

I'm happy to pay a premium for child free zones when it's me and adults. Then I'm happy to pay a premium for child zones when children are involved. Doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with it to me. *shrugs*

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Anywhoo, what do you think?
    Good. Children are the first and foremost reason to why I hate McDonald, closely followed by their shitty food and bright colors.
    It never stops though! It's always at least one, if not several children screaming and romping about in the same car/vicinity when ever I take the bus/train/airplane.

Call me a grinch, a misanthrope, a DINK (dual-income-no-kids), or the anti-cute-police,
    Wierd, that's no way to be humble about wanting to avoid migraines and hearing damage.

I can understand the need for it in some environments. Entertainment especially. There probably should be adult free zones too. Adults are a pain in the ass when you're a kid.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    There probably should be adult free zones too. Adults are a pain in the ass when you're a kid.
    That's a good point.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    There probably should be adult free zones too. Adults are a pain in the ass when you're a kid.

I'm sure Piggy here, would be reluctant to sign that petition.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

CzeCze I think you summed up very nicely how I actually feel about this issue, I wish there was something like it over here and I concur that the combination of wild children and lousy parenting is completely awful for anyone else who wants to go shopping, go to anywhere and do anything in a shared space really.

Mind you I remember having a total melt down when I was a child in a supermarket, I remember my parents intervening, other people speaking to me and a manager, in part it was to do with someone having given me a cardboard roll from inside of used wrapping paper or something and another bigger child came, pushed me to the floor and took it. I went into a total fit of screaming and my dad told me his recollection of it was that I "just didnt want to conform" that I'd reached a point were I was just in crisis and it was going to play out.

I think that happens and its part of development and to be expected of toddlers and small children (I was small and my parents are surprised that I have any recollection of it at all), its a bad thing that we see it in many older children and adolescents who've been neglected but I probably see more of that in my line of work and also have to try and manage it, which can be extremely difficult when other unsympathetic people are around.

However, I do think that that is distinct from parents who tolerate their children behaving towards others in a manner they would not tolerate themselves at home or simply not caring and getting aggressive or defensive with anyone else who finds it objectionable. I think that goes for the "cutesy" behaviour as much as the bad behaviour. To be honest if small children are too familiar with strangers then they havent learned valuable lessons about their own safety.

I have one friend whose thinking on this topic mirrors yours and mine but who is a little more extreme about it, I remember sitting in a lounge of a hotel drinking and he was smoking a cigar, it was prior to the ban. This family had come in but it was one in which the parents were paying little or no attention to their kids at all, the kids had been climbing on and jumping off tables and chairs, one parent gave the older child, who was still probably less than ten, a portable DVD player to watch and in the process of climbing and jumping he dropped it and it broke in two. He very loudly proclaimed to no one in particular "Ha, Ha! You broke your thing because you couldnt behave and your parents dont care", at the time my mate was going through a bad aftermath from an earlier relationship and would be pretty free with opinions and happy to meet any aggrivation which resulted, like a real world Troll. However, while the family shot us stares, some elderly people in the lounge piped up "you got that right", "hear, hear", "buy that man a bass" sort of thing and the people left.

Hopefully, its a long shot, this kind of thing might be a foil to a discussion beyond online forums and people will think about how they and those in their charge behave, how it will effect others and have some sort of social conscience as a consequence. That's the big, big picture. How does that sort of mindful, pro-social and thoughtful culture come about and offset the need for formal rules and prohibitions in the first place.

One thing your post mentioned too, the divisions between adult time and children time, I think there were ones growing up and there are less now, a lot of people are not happy to be adults and are putting it off, a lot of kids are deseperate to do adult things and its all confused to hell. I can think of some of the most obvious examples being the TV schedules and times allocated to childrens viewing which corresponded to return times from school, had presenters and finished before the newscasts which signalled adult broadcasting was commencing again. Alright it was back in the day when broadcasting didnt commence until after lunch on some networks and there were like three or four networks to choose from but I think those things were significant. Some of the things younger children speak to me about having watched I just think I am happy I wasnt exposed to when I was that young, I only know one child which I've worked with who actively declines to watch anything with an age rating which is for older kids.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post

I'm sure Piggy here, would be reluctant to sign that petition.
    Poor tragic Piggy, I love that movie.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It seems like a great idea to me, although it could be taken too far (I would say grocery stores are going too far - although it would be great if managers kicked out parents with misbehaving children, at least temporarily)
    -end of thread-