User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    This reminds me of my ex. He used to say that people who were very weak physically and didn't have much going for them intellectually either were the result of bad sex. He had this acquaintence who he used to call "the worm" and declared that the worm was the result of two people who weren't very into each other having very routine, obligatory sex. LOL.

Hey - the thread is already off topic, right?
    free association thread! and obvious proof of why one should ENJOY sex... so that thier children end up normal!

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    @whatever: Well, just as long as you're thinking of 'em. :-D
    I'm such a good person!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm such a good person!
    A day in the life of the Jesus emoticon is a tough one. Damn kids and their sticky lil fingers. *helps you polish your halo*

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'd wear gloves if I were you... I think that they might have DROOLED on it!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    free association thread! and obvious proof of why one should ENJOY sex... so that thier children end up normal!
    DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!!11111

Ginkgo

Negative punishment must be consistent. You must not show anger. Show only wrath.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I guess what it comes down to is, when people are too stupid or selfish to follow common sense courtesy, you have to force them to.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    GONE

Mod Note:

A certain someone has been thread banned for trolling. Now [don't] kick some kids in the face, you Good Samaritan, you.

NOW - back on track!

Oh wait -

Stop talking about corporal punishment people! :rawr:

Start talking about puppies:

Here's a question - what establishments/hours do you think it makes sense for 'child free' time?

Also, I think sometimes provisional rules could work very well for small businesses. I'm think spas and other places that could cater to (older) women who may have children. There are already such provisional rules in place for dogs like "well-behaved dogs who response well to voice control are allowed off leash in so and so". I know that sounds terrible to equate children with dogs, but as far as the 'public nuisance' factor goes, they are very similar.

I remember I took my 2 well trained very obedient dogs to Carmel beach which is all off leash. Some families and couples loved my dogs, some were obviously annoyed. My own reaction to that was 'Tough, they made this beach off-leash to all breeds for a reason and my dogs really ARE awesome'. The whole town of Carmel caters to dogs and more importantly affluent patrons who will shell out extra $$ to dine and hang with their dogs.

My dogs btw, do not bark or hump people and they are trained to follow right beside me or up to 1 yard ahead of me, but they will stop and wait for me and return to me as soon as I call them. They are also a small breed, no more than 16 lbs each. They are basically very well behaved, well socialized, and sweet dogs. And not just because I say so!

That reminds me of what VIolaine said about avoiding certain areas. If you don't like kids, you will obviously not need to be in and avoid places like circuses, Chuck E Cheese, etc. And if you knowingly go into high-kid areas there is a grudging acknowledgement you must share space.

Some people hate kids/dogs period. Some people just resent the ill behaved ones. But mostly I think what I'm hearing is people are irritated at absent parents who use bystanders and babysitters.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    So. This isn't like some new thing mean people created. I think there's actually something very sensible about it. The "kid culture" has gotten out of control.
    The part that surprises me is that the idea of 'child free zones' didn't become mainstream in America until now. I guess it was the competing forces of the "kid culture" you talk about becoming more common vs becoming more socially acceptable to enforce such ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Personally I'm against the nature of such mass bannings,
    LOL. Mass bannings.

The point is that the success of these ideas is heavily influenced by market forces. We aren't going to see widespread bans, but rather exclusions in places where children have caused problems in the past. If businesses make more money after implementing such a policy, then it suggests that it was a problem.
    I don't expect to see children banned from particular supermarkets in the near future as this would likely hurt the businesses in question. Kicking out noisy children on the other hand...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Screeching children are annoying, but it's something I'd put up with in a lot of places because I know that some parents are constrained by circumstances that require them to drag their kids around with them. For instance, a single mother who works might have to pick her kid up from school and, to save money on transportation (or to catch public transportation at the right time), it might be better for her to go to the grocery store immediately afterward with the kid in tow. I'm not spoiled or entitled enough to demand that my ears not be littered with the noise of crying children when I'm in a public shopping place.
    This.

I also have a suspicion that many people enthusiastic about this concept (except in certain limited circumstances) are the type who not only dislike misbehaving children, but actually dislike the sound of children laughing and playing-such as the people at my sister's condo who kept trying to get my nieces and nephews barred from the pool.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I like the sound of kids playing.
    I don't think kids should be in places where obviously they don't belong. Nice restaurants, movies @7 etc. I don't think uncontrolled kids are so much of problem here, plus you tend to be a little more forgiving when a frazzled looking parent is desperately trying to control the situation. Well, I am.
    but yeah, it's uncontrolled hellions that every one hates...I wish they had some sort of day care @ work, for patient's kids, because that's where I come across uncontrolled kids the most. Plus they are a real danger, you really don't want them under your feet in a medical emergency. (the clerks seem to spend a hell of a lot of time baby sitting). I know it can't be helped at times, but I hate it when I see some brat running down the corridor getting under the feet of the oldies.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]