First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I'd pay for a child-free area in this forum.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Absolutely love kids but can't stand incompetent and entitled parenting. It's really not up to everyone else to either parent your children or put up with their bad behaviours. So I'm "for" child-free zones if only as a backlash to say to parents "parent your children". I also don't subscribe to "seen but not heard". There really is a happy medium.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm glad. As a waitress, I remember fearing tripping over a two year old with someone's hot food on a tray as their negligent parent allowed them to run around. Also, they can be loud and obnoxious.

I love my neices and nephews, but not all children are created equal. Children are still individual people like adults, and just because I love *some* children doesn't mean I love *all* children.

I'm not even sure that I want to be a parent. I have cats for a very good reason.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Also, I think society has changed, anyway. There was a time when people didn't drag little kids to sit-down restaurants at 10 or 11 'o clock at night, didn't take kids to R rated movies in the evening, didn't take kids to certain places (LIKE VEGAS!!!??) which were considered "adult places." Parents have gotten very free with dragging their kids everywhere at all times of the day and night, something that would have been unheard of in 1920 or 1955.

So. This isn't like some new thing mean people created. I think there's actually something very sensible about it. The "kid culture" has gotten out of control.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    My friend in Philly said the same thing. Prefaced by 'wow'.
    I said 'wow' irl if that counts. More like 'woooow'. :-D

Park Slope?
    You know it.

That's a good point. I was wondering how airlines could restrict kids on planes but it makes sense if you are paying that much for an upgraded ticket for an upgraded experience and flying for business.

Amtrak has a new 'low chatter' car which is kinda bullshit in the way they enforce it. These two doods behind me were talking up a storm and on their crackberries but as soon as the ticket dood came he told my friends and I we weren't supposed to talk. AT ALL. It's not a total silence car, it's a LOW chatter car. Bah. But yeah, similar concept.
    Yeah, and it's not like you can ask for a do-over. :-(

Low chatter? Sounds pretty pointless. I like those silent cars, especially if it means I don't have to experience someone's music taste via their blaring headphones.

Banned

I should be able to pay to remove other peoples children from my nearby space. Somewhat akin to a live auction.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Personally I'm against the nature of such mass bannings, I find them to be nothing more than blatent age discrimination, supported by those who aren't currently raising bratty ill-tempered (or any kind of) young kids. Now I can understand the reasoning behind banning kids from upscale resturants and PG13/R rated movies; young children that can't properly behave yet probably shouldn't be at such locations in the first place, and it should be the responsbility of adults to use their common sense and not drag a cranky 4 year old to dinner at eleven in the evening. But such locations are where I would draw the line, as the idea that kids should be banned from food stores, airplanes, parks, and other various places is ridiculous. Not all parents of young and bratty kids can afford a babysitter everytime they need to run errands, or take certain means of transportation somewhere; bannings from airplanes might be one thing, but what the hell happens when taxi cabs, trains, and buses decide to start implementing such policies?

Further more not every young child is a misbehaving spoiled brat with temper problems, as many young kids are capable of being well behaved and quiet, thus such banning place unfair restrictions on the parents of good kids. And yes, I know how annoying whiny kids can be; having taking the local bus dozens of times, I have encountered many trips where there were unruly and loud infants/kids that screamed and whined and cry. You know what I do in those situations? I put up with it, like an adult. Nothing angers me more, than the snide under-the-breath opinions that other people on the bus who are all like 'ugh, another whiny kid' or 'OMG I hate kids' or 'shut up", and then precede to give death stares at the parent who clearly doesn't like thier childs misbehavior. But you know what? That's life; many young children lack the capability to realize that they're not entirely egocentric, some of them aren't aware of the disturbance that they're causing nor is there much that the parent can do to quell it. And I find it appaling how people would actually condone kicking kids and their parents out of business establishments all beacuse of the natural behavior of how the child acts. I don't care if little 5 year old Timmy is screaming his head off in a food store and his mother isn't able to do anything about it, kicking them out of the store isn't going to solve the problem, and those that don't like it can deal with it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I agree with you that obviously children should be allowed in grocery stores (but should they be allowed in specialty grocery stores? those are *private* businesses after all...) public transportation, fast food restaurants, and other public areas like parks, streets, and all of the other places one normally sees children.

I don't think it's age discrimination for an airline to decide that they don't want children in their First Class section, as people pay more to sit in First Class and again, these are *private* businesses.

Other people have to suffer when negligent parents are negligent, or when children are being loud and noisy. It's not just single folks, either. You know, some parents would like to have an evening out on the weekend, or take a vacation as a couple and not have to be harrassed by squealing, screaming, crying, et al.

It's gone from one extreme to the other, from "children should be seen and not heard" to "I have children, therefore I have a narcissistic tendency to demand rights that childfree people do not have, and will inflict my brats upon society."

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I don't care if little 5 year old Timmy is screaming his head off in a food store
    I do.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I do.
    Then deal with it. A child crying is not the end of the world.