User Tag List

First 891011 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I don't think kids should be in places where obviously they don't belong. Nice restaurants, movies @7 etc.
    I agree, so long as the movie isn't rated less than PG-13 and the restaurant in question is nicer than, say, Red Lobster or Olive Garden; I also think that restaurants and theaters should have the right to kick out families with disruptive kids.

I remember how my parents would control four young children at restaurants; they would ask for a window seat and park the car directly outside of it. If we misbehaved, we were sent to wait in the car (where our parents could keep an eye on us) while the rest of the family ate-it worked very well. On hot days or when the misbehaving child was an infant, one of them would of course stay in the car with us.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I agree, so long as the movie isn't rated less than PG-13 and the restaurant in question is nicer than, say, Red Lobster or Olive Garden; I also think that restaurants and theaters should have the right to kick out families with disruptive kids.

I remember how my parents would control four young children at restaurants; they would ask for a window seat and park the car directly outside of it. If we misbehaved, we were sent to wait in the car (where our parents could keep an eye on us) while the rest of the family ate-it worked very well. On hot days or when the misbehaving child was an infant, one of them would of course stay in the car with us.
    Gosh, your parents had so much more consideration for others than a lot of people display nowadays.

I think part of the rise of unruly children in public is just due to increased narcissism in society and lower standards. I think people assume other people will be jackasses so they go ahead and be jackasses themselves. And there are no standards anymore, I've noticed a lot of parents don't even bother to teach their kids to say 'please' or 'thank you' anymore or basic things like 'wait your turn'. It's a mentality that 'we're all in it for ourselves' and there is not as much sense of community fiber or being connected to others specifically or the amorphous 'community' in general.

In that way, I do think the concept of 'community' in most parts of the US has disintegrated muchly if it was ever there to begin with.

So now instead of people controlling one another, businesses have to codify these rules in order to draw in more customers or at least not lose some.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Also, I think society has changed, anyway. There was a time when people didn't drag little kids to sit-down restaurants at 10 or 11 'o clock at night, didn't take kids to R rated movies in the evening, didn't take kids to certain places (LIKE VEGAS!!!??) which were considered "adult places." Parents have gotten very free with dragging their kids everywhere at all times of the day and night, something that would have been unheard of in 1920 or 1955.

So. This isn't like some new thing mean people created. I think there's actually something very sensible about it. The "kid culture" has gotten out of control.
    This. Yes I understand that when both parents work, things need to be done outside of normal hours..etc. What I don't get is a group of 5-8 family members at WalMart at 11pm on a weeknight with a 2 and 4 year old who has that glazed sleep deprivation look in their eye. Why can't one of the parents stay home so the kid can go to bed? This isn't something I see occasionally. This is something I have seen over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I love children and have no issue with them being out and learning how to function in society but shit like this is crazy. Little kids at a R rated movie at 10pm? No.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Yeah! Teach those children how to discriminate early!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

figsfiggyfigs

This is the most holy of news.

I hate kids.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    This. Yes I understand that when both parents work, things need to be done outside of normal hours..etc. What I don't get is a group of 5-8 family members at WalMart at 11pm on a weeknight with a 2 and 4 year old who has that glazed sleep deprivation look in their eye. Why can't one of the parents stay home so the kid can go to bed? This isn't something I see occasionally. This is something I have seen over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I love children and have no issue with them being out and learning how to function in society but shit like this is crazy. Little kids at a R rated movie at 10pm? No.
    YESSSS! This is so true. I've never understood why one parent can't stay at home with the kids.

My annoying redneck neighbors, whose kids are always, always playing in the street outside and being obnoxious, are allowed to roam around at 11pm or midnight, lots of nights. The kid should be in bed, but if you're not concerned about his sleeping habits, at least please ensure that the rest of us aren't subjected to him at the hours when kids should be in bed.

I do think there should be recourse in grocery stores for letting your kids run around unsupervised. I don't care if they come with you, as long as they stay with you. But when kids chase each other through stores with their parents nowhere in sight? That should be grounds for ejecting the whole party.
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post

I hate kids.
    Yeah, kids suck. The world would be so much better without them.

[YOUTUBE="Z-he1KXxK2E"].[/YOUTUBE]
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    <childern of men>
    What a wonderful existence that would be, + the perks of immorality.

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post

I hate kids.
    Agreed. Furthermore, as of yesterday I'm officially boycotting any restaurant that makes extra accommodation to children in an attempt to solicit business from their middle-lower class overworked, underpaid, disenchanted parents. Why? Because what's this kid ever done to merit a reward, besides existing? Awww, you've worked up an appetite from sitting around all day eating sugar encrusted cereal, watching blue's clues and building crappy Lego architecture? Tough shit. There's kid in Asia that work 14 hours for a bowl of rice a day, and they're happy just to get it! Meanwhile, Sammy the overweight and borderline mentally retarded american child gets to eat free between the hours of 6-8pm. Injustice, I say!

You know who should be eating free at these establishments that fear the health inspectors like the second coming of the Bubonic Plague? Anyone over the age of 21, because chances are they've done something moderately more productive today than recite lines from Pixar movies all day.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

[YOUTUBE="96QpCIYMxyM"]In yer face![/YOUTUBE]

I'm currently training my child to do this in every public space, esp. places where one finds single, unmarried adults.