User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Well, while I agree the punishment is too harsh, she broke the law resulting in a death. That part really isn't up for debate. Don't like it, then legalize jaywalking. As for the driver, well, clearly he shouldn't have been drinking, but as for hitting the kid, I can't condemn him for that. I was driving the other night, it was about midnight, really dark, and I was on the side road next to the highway. There was these guys out riding their bikes in the middle of the street, no reflective anything. I didn't even see them until I was nearly on top of them. I could have easily killed them and I wasn't even on anything. You just don't expect to be driving down the road in the dark and have pedestrians do stupid shit like that.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

MBTI
    ENFJ

That is so cruel, especially because she is already grieving over the loss of her son, now she has to be taken away from the rest of her children. ):

Yet they let people like Casey Anthony just walk free.

Okay, I'm not even going to go down that path, so I will stop in my tracks right here.
    Your epidermis is showing. <3

MBTI
    ISTx

Jaywalking laws are in place specifically for reasons of avoiding what happened to this ladies' son. She may have made poor judgment, which in this specific case I think is even more shameful considering she had her young kids with her (but hey, I jay walk myself sometimes. I live in a big city after all) but 3 years does seem severe. I don't see her receiving the maximum sentence, considering surrounding circumstances, but you never know. However, she should not be permitted to walk away completely without receiving legal repercussions of what happened. When it comes down to it, her son is dead because she broke the law. Something that could have easily been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    When it comes down to it, her son is dead because she broke the law.
    Unfortunately, that is the bottom line.

MBTI
    INTP

The death of her child is punishment enough, but if they want to make her responsible, give her probation. Putting her in jail for a poor decision (which really was only a poor decision because the kid happened to run after the other little girl, which he could have also done at a crosswalk) is a bit ridiculous. She was trying to keep her kids safe. I think most of us would have made a similar decision. The real question is, why is the bus letting people off so far from the crosswalk?

Also, drunk driving is ALWAYS the worse crime.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    The death of her child is punishment enough, but if they want to make her responsible, give her probation. Putting her in jail for a poor decision (which really was only a poor decision because the kid happened to run after the other little girl, which he could have also done at a crosswalk) is a bit ridiculous. She was trying to keep her kids safe. I think most of us would have made a similar decision. The real question is, why is the bus letting people off so far from the crosswalk?

Also, drunk driving is ALWAYS the worse crime.
    I don't think there really needs to be a comparison or ranking of crimes here. Forget the driver, the lady broke a law put into place for the safety of pedestrians, and now she has a dead child on her conscious for defying said law. Misfortune has it that a drunk driver was roaring down the street, but that's one of the risks you've undertaken when disregarding the cross walks. I know this lady wants to stay out of prison, but it's kind of off-putting to see her trying to justify the actions that got her son killed. Ultimately it wasn't the drunk driver's fault and more so the mother's. Just because the guy had a few drinks and was on prescriptions, that doesn't necessarily mean he was driving reckless. That's like blaming someone for running over a dog that darts into the road. You aren't expecting it, because it's not a designated dog x-ing zone :P

Really, I'd like to know more about what happened... What the speed limit was on that street, if they had visibility of the van before it actually arrived and hit the kid, etc. I hate stories like this because I don't have all the facts, but me wants them.

Myyy Preccioussssss

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    I don't think there really needs to be a comparison or ranking of crimes here.
    Yes there does, that's how the justice system works.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

That's a really excessive punishment for jaywalking. I'd fine her at the very most. Also this brings up a pet peeve: I'd like to avoid vilifying the driver without additional facts. "admitting to drinking" could easily mean a single beer for a man who's probably at least 200lb. A beer or two for a guy like that is not going to have an effect on his driving - certainly not as much of an effect as someone who slept poorly the night before, or someone turning around to smack their kid, or someone yapping on a cell phone. There's "driving while drunk" and then there's "driving after drinking" which are not the same by definition, despite the obvious overlap. If it was a case of a single beer or two, which is information we don't know, then 6 months sentence for him would be excessive if he had no time to avoid stopping, as is usually the case.

anecdote: my sister was hit by a car in a very very similar situation, when she was about 6. We were crossing the road slowly, waiting for the car to pass, and she took off running forward for no reason. Luckily the car was moving slowly and slammed the brakes, and she wasn't injured at all.

edit: wait, I missed the "hit and run" part.... if that's the case the driver deserves a lot more than 6 months. That's disgusting.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    FREE

This lady should have just murdered her child, dumped the corpse out of sight, and lied about it for a month. Apparently, that is legal. Oh, and she should try being white next time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

She only got probation, thank goodness.
    She was also offered a chance to have a new trial and if found innocent, have her record cleared entirely.

http://news.yahoo.com/ga-mom-gets-pr...152407635.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This lady should have just murdered her child, dumped the corpse out of sight, and lied about it for a month. Apparently, that is legal. Oh, and she should try being white next time.
    Oh dear. What a cynical thing to say.

At least she was spared attention from Nancy Grace.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft