User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    People supportive of drug-testing for welfare recipients should be demanding the same of anyone receiving government assistance:

You forgot:
    • Employees (and especially executives) of banks/institutions that received TARP-style government bailouts
    • Private government contractors (including mercenaries)

I'm sure there are other populations of "private" citizens who make off like bandits from government funds who also deserve to be targeted for this sort of thing.

It's the whole "poor people who desperately need help should be put through the ringer, but rich people should just take what they want from the community fund" attitude that bugs me. Don't get me wrong -- I'm about as anti-drug as it gets. But this seems to be little more than a ploy to restrict assistance to people who need it. Wouldn't it have been fun to see all of those senior banking executives lined up in front of a public restroom with their urine sample cups before getting those beefy TARP checks?

As anti-drug as I am, this isn't an answer to anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's only going to create a lot of work for the police and justice system, is there some equivalent of being breathilised which could test for the narcotics you're talking about?
    I agree. Locking up people who drive while under the influence of drugs is a lot more work than locking up everyone who is under the influence of drugs. Brilliant analysis.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm for it. Why? Because of the people I've known of who have traded their children's food stamps and clothing voutures for drug money.

I can't stand it, it makes me IRATE that meth heads can work the system, neglect their children, and find money to continue their habit which terrorizes others (yes, being a fucking junkie does bother other people...it leads to all kinds of fucking nonsense that harms the family and even affects the neighbors and others).

I know someone who was a social worker, quit, went back to college, and went into a completely different field because she was so distraught over witnessing drug addicts neglect their children and using welfare benefits to support themselves.

Do I think that welfare is bad? No way. What I do think are these tweakers, junkies, and crackheads ruin welfare for decent working people who really are trying to raise their families and get ahead.

Yes, drug addicts are sick, but they can also be an awful plague on society. The only way to deal with them is to test them and if they test positive to put them in some sort of court-ordered rehabilitation.

I have had strong opinions about this for years.

The "it's my body" argument is a load of FUCKING SHIT. Hard core addicts harm other people, their family members, friends, even strangers.

However, my addendum to this is that marijuana is legalized. I do not think that marijuana should EVER be in the class of heroin, cocaine, crack, crystal meth, ecstasy, or LSD. It actually detracts, in my opinion, from being able to deal with the more serious problems that come with those harder drugs, which alter people's entire personalities and ability to function.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    You forgot:
    • Employees (and especially executives) of banks/institutions that received TARP-style government bailouts

I'm sure there are other populations of "private" citizens who make off like bandits from government funds who also deserve to be targeted for this sort of thing.
    Oh I agree. Drug test the rich junkies too.

Get em all.

However, I strongly disagree that it won't do any good to drug test the poorest drug users. Programs could be implemented (if everything wasn't so focused on prison) to actually help these people, save their lives, and save their children's lives.

As someone who has personally known and is related to drug addicts, for the love of fucking god, test these people.

I sometimes wonder if it's easier to pretend that drugs really don't do that much damage to entire families and communities of people when you're middle class.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Totally and completely in support of it. I just evicted a single mother who was collecting $3,500 in social security benefits for her 5 kids and at the same time selling cocaine through the home. When we finally got her out, I actually had to drive out to the property to disperse an angry mob of neighbors who were ganging up on my maintenance who had gone out there to change the locks because they thought he worked for me (he's an independent contractor) and they kept telling him that they, "didn't want him moving anymore druggies into there".

Interesting day that was :O

I also have a bunch of friends who are HUGE pot-heads and I remember one day I was over at there house and they were telling me about how they were behind on their rent, used all all of there food stamps and such, and behind on there power bill and you know what they were arguing with themselves about? Whether or not they could scape up enough money to buy a dime or whatever that much weed is called.

I have no issue with druggies and people who are stupid enough to destroy their own bodies that way. I personally have no real issue with the idea of a social safety net for those who are down on their luck and are trying to climb back up to something manageable. I do however have a serious issue who druggies who accept welfare-type monies and then piss it away on their drug habits. Every penny that these people piss away is a penny that could be given to someone more responsible and (evidently) in much greater need of it.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

How about owners of oil companies who insist on getting huge tax breaks despite making record profits (are they consuming something illegal???)
    Also how about defense contractors?
    Oh, yes, also owners and managers of private "security contractors"?
    All of those greedy types would look cute peeing into a cup.

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    You forgot:

It's the whole "poor people who desperately need help should be put through the ringer, but rich people should just take what they want from the community fund" attitude that bugs me. Don't get me wrong -- I'm about as anti-drug as it gets. But this seems to be little more than a ploy to restrict assistance to people who need it. Wouldn't it have been fun to see all of those senior banking executives lined up in front of a public restroom with their urine sample cups before getting those beefy TARP checks?

As anti-drug as I am, this isn't an answer to anything.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Maybe Congress needs to be drug tested. They can create far more damage than welfare recipients who aren't even given enough money to support themselves.
    People in Congress are overpaid and they get this nice Congressional health plan that is basically a single-payer plan. Yet they won't give that to us. They have been bickering and grand standing instead of trying to solve the problem at hand. The government will probably default, which will result in economic chaos.
    It would be entertaining to see the entire Congress line up to pee in a cup.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm all about it. I don't see how drug testing is a violation of constitutional liberties... If you're enrolled in a government program, you succumb to whatever criteria is appropriate for enrolling into that service. If you misuse money for drugs then I sure as hell don't want to be giving you any, nor should I be expected to. If you want to use drugs, then don't take the drug test... No welfare for you.

MBTI
    intp

I think this sort of policy is extremely short-sighted. First and foremost, welfare is not and has never been for the recipient. It exists as a tool to keep people who have no other financial means from turning to crime or organizing against the government and it is one of the lower-cost forms of social control. Taking it away tends to increase financial and social costs rather than decreasing them.

Beyond that, a large proportion of drug addicts are actually self-medicating for various mental illnesses. This subgroup is borderline non-functional in society (through no fault of their own) and not capable of recognizing that they have a drug problem or taking logical steps to fix it. This group is both the most in need of assistance (financial and otherwise) and the most likely to spend money given to them on drugs. By all means get these people into treatment, but taking away their very limited supply of money borders on cruel and fixes nothing.

The fact is, everyone needs money whether they're a drug addict or not. If people don't have it, or any legal means to get it, they will commit crimes, clog up prisons, and take beds in hospitals, all of which cost more than the original payout.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i understand why this is a good idea in theory, but there are way too many negative effects that it could have, not to mention that it's a huge waste of money (and the governor's wife conveniently happens to own a lot of the drug testing centers). drug addicts will find a way to finance their habits, and if they end up having their government benefits cut off, i really doubt they're going to decide to turn their life around and get a job. they're going to sell drugs, they're going to rob people, whatever they have to do. and what about alcohol? alcoholics are just as damaging to families, society, themselves as most other drug addicts.

plus cocaine and other hard drugs are very easy to get out of your system, it's only like a week. weed takes a month or more.