User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

  1. #1
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default Good Cop/Bad Cop

    What do these two officers have in common? Both were prior Marines and also the type of call/situation being responded to (though there's obviously a little more surrounding video #2).

    I love this guy.
    [YOUTUBE="5LngS1nDtB0"]Good[/YOUTUBE]

    A complete piss poor performance. Things get started at about 4:00 and deteriorate quite a bit through the duration of the video.
    [YOUTUBE="kassP7zI0qc"]Bad[/YOUTUBE]

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Holy shit. The guy is walking around with a handgun, no ID on him, and is video taping the police; how the fuck was he not tazzered like crazy? Either way though, a more model way for police to act.

    Second video I have not watched. Too long, and I've seen enough bad cop videos in my life to get an idea of what probably happens.

  3. #3
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Holy shit. The guy is walking around with a handgun, no ID on him, and is video taping the police; how the fuck was he not tazzered like crazy? Either way though, a more model way for police to act.

    Second video I have not watched. Too long, and I've seen enough bad cop videos in my life to get an idea of what probably happens.
    No need to bother with the second video. I hesitated to post it, because it definitely tarnishes the police man's image (I'm an aspiring police officer). It does a great job of portraying the archetypal power-tripping cop. Fortunately, they're just bad apples among the batch of fine officers.

    As for the first video. Open carry is legal in California, so long as the weapon isn't concealed, isn't loaded and isn't being carried in a restricted zone (school, post office, other governmental facilities). Apparently people were calling police because they didn't like the look of a man walking down the high way with a visible handgun on the hip (you never know, right?). That's why he was questioned. He was compliant with the reasonable orders of the officer (checking the handgun to make sure it wasn't loaded) and even if he was kind of a jerk about it, he was utilizing his freedom to carry. No reason to tazer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sanctus Iacobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Looks like the policeman in the second video was fired.

    http://ohioccw.org/

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    No need to bother with the second video. I hesitated to post it, because it definitely tarnishes the police man's image (I'm an aspiring police officer). It does a great job of portraying the archetypal power-tripping cop. Fortunately, they're just bad apples among the batch of fine officers.

    As for the first video. Open carry is legal in California, so long as the weapon isn't concealed, isn't loaded and isn't being carried in a restricted zone (school, post office, other governmental facilities). Apparently people were calling police because they didn't like the look of a man walking down the high way with a visible handgun on the hip (you never know, right?). That's why he was questioned. He was compliant with the reasonable orders of the officer (checking the handgun to make sure it wasn't loaded) and even if he was kind of a jerk about it, he was utilizing his freedom to carry. No reason to tazer.
    He was that.

    Just as there will be good or bad representatives in the police force I'm sure there are bad and good representatives of conceal carry or libertarians. I didnt see any reason at all for the guy to be either obstructive by not identifying himself or to film the cop in the first place, I've got issues personally with people filming professionals carrying out their job because while the world has gotten wise to government or political propaganda and advertising, ie lying, they often will treat source material from anyplace else as honest. Its naive at the most.

    I actually would suspect that in the first instance the guy was trying to sucker some cops into behaving in the manner he expected them to as a consequence of being indoctrinated by capitalist-libertarian ideologues. Props to the cop, who seemed like a regular guy, in not being suckered into playing the guys game. Not that I think all conceal carry or gun owners are like this, unfortunately its not unprecidented and probably not unlikely to reoccur, I wish less supporters of each would provide those individuals with support.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    No need to bother with the second video. I hesitated to post it, because it definitely tarnishes the police man's image (I'm an aspiring police officer). It does a great job of portraying the archetypal power-tripping cop. Fortunately, they're just bad apples among the batch of fine officers.
    Indeed, some cops can be bad at times, and I shall not watch it lest it reestablishes my skepticism towards the police. Also, congradulations on being an aspiring police officer.

    As for the first video. Open carry is legal in California, so long as the weapon isn't concealed, isn't loaded and isn't being carried in a restricted zone (school, post office, other governmental facilities). Apparently people were calling police because they didn't like the look of a man walking down the high way with a visible handgun on the hip (you never know, right?). That's why he was questioned. He was compliant with the reasonable orders of the officer (checking the handgun to make sure it wasn't loaded) and even if he was kind of a jerk about it, he was utilizing his freedom to carry. No reason to tazer.
    Yeah, that's why I never undertood anti-concealment laws; why force gun owners to show their weapons in public, lest it just create more distubances? Also, I've seen enough bad cop instances in my life to the point where someone carrying a weapon with no ID and filming the police woulc normally result in much more severe consequences; from what I know, not carrying ID on oneself and filming the police are illegal in some areas of the country, but indeed, no reason to tazer the guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Iacobus View Post
    Looks like the policeman in the second video was fired.

    http://ohioccw.org/
    Good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    He was that.

    Just as there will be good or bad representatives in the police force I'm sure there are bad and good representatives of conceal carry or libertarians. I didnt see any reason at all for the guy to be either obstructive by not identifying himself or to film the cop in the first place, I've got issues personally with people filming professionals carrying out their job because while the world has gotten wise to government or political propaganda and advertising, ie lying, they often will treat source material from anyplace else as honest. Its naive at the most.

    I actually would suspect that in the first instance the guy was trying to sucker some cops into behaving in the manner he expected them to as a consequence of being indoctrinated by capitalist-libertarian ideologues. Props to the cop, who seemed like a regular guy, in not being suckered into playing the guys game. Not that I think all conceal carry or gun owners are like this, unfortunately its not unprecidented and probably not unlikely to reoccur, I wish less supporters of each would provide those individuals with support.
    Actually, if the police have nothing to hide then they have nothing to fear; if they're doing their job right then filming them (maybe with consent) shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hell, especially with a video like this where the image of a good cop can get reinforced and help to establish a more optimistic outlook of the police.

    Also, from what I can tell, it seems as though the man with the gun appears to be fairly nervous concerning the whole ordeal, which is why he may have filmed them in the first place.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Actually, if the police have nothing to hide then they have nothing to fear; if they're doing their job right then filming them (maybe with consent) shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hell, especially with a video like this where the image of a good cop can get reinforced and help to establish a more optimistic outlook of the police.

    Also, from what I can tell, it seems as though the man with the gun appears to be fairly nervous concerning the whole ordeal, which is why he may have filmed them in the first place.
    The nothing to hide, nothing to fear argument? Really?

    Well then, do you think that CCTV is a great idea? Should it be extended to your private car? Your laptop, desktop, flatscreen TV? What about in your bathroom or shower?

    Why not if you have nothing to fear? Personally I flat out dont like the idea, neither as a viewer or subject of viewing.

    Plus, nervous? How do you know that? Couldnt he be excited? Is he nervous because what he anticipated was going to play out has played out?

    I say this because I know from my own line of work which involves challenging anti-social behaviour, confronting lies and de-escalating potential violence that anyone who sees exchanges out of context or for a split second only or is already hostile to the social services could and would exploit changes in tone or anything like that captured on film.

    Often people have expectations of professions which they would not have of themselves, sometimes this involves anti-social behaviour, for instance shouting or swearing or abusing individuals in uniform which they would not otherwise dream of treating that way.

    I find those expectations are heightened particularly when those professions are also authorities. Too many people treat the authorities like they are their parents and they are oppositional and defiant children. Teenage angst seems to go on forever now.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The nothing to hide, nothing to fear argument? Really?
    Yeah, really. That's why I presented it.

    Well then, do you think that CCTV is a great idea? Should it be extended to your private car? Your laptop, desktop, flatscreen TV? What about in your bathroom or shower?
    Of course fucking not, I wasn't condoning the actions of filming people in every aspect of their lives at the ultimate cost of privacy, rather I was merely referring to the specific situation of the first video. What I meant there was, that if the police officer isn't acted with mal intent nor mal consequence, then there should be little objection to filming him, as there's no fear in being video tapped in the first palce. Granted though, his consent as to wether he wants to be tapped or not is also important, and I would find it wrong (although not under all circumstances) for someone to video tape him if he didn't wanted to be recorded in a video. Not to mention (as I did before) it boosts the image of a good and pateint cop who does his job well and shows himself an outsanding member of the community, something that police credibility seriously needs in this day and age.

    Why not if you have nothing to fear? Personally I flat out dont like the idea, neither as a viewer or subject of viewing.
    Why not exactly? Police already have dash cams in their cars, and most other organizations that employ people moniter them on the job; people are less likely to do stupid shit when they now that they're being watched.

    Plus, nervous? How do you know that? Couldnt he be excited? Is he nervous because what he anticipated was going to play out has played out?
    Actually, I can't know that for sure, maybe he is excited, although it was probably irrelevant of me to bring it up.

    I say this because I know from my own line of work which involves challenging anti-social behaviour, confronting lies and de-escalating potential violence that anyone who sees exchanges out of context or for a split second only or is already hostile to the social services could and would exploit changes in tone or anything like that captured on film.
    If you're reffering to the second video, then I would agree with you (still haven't watched it, but I have a thorough idea of what happens). The first video though isn't bad at all, I (and many others) totally appreciate the work of the cop and what he is doing.

    Often people have expectations of professions which they would not have of themselves, sometimes this involves anti-social behaviour, for instance shouting or swearing or abusing individuals in uniform which they would not otherwise dream of treating that way.

    I find those expectations are heightened particularly when those professions are also authorities. Too many people treat the authorities like they are their parents and they are oppositional and defiant children. Teenage angst seems to go on forever now.
    Indeed, I agree with you there; lots of people think they can act however the please without consequence, which is rather pathetic. But the attitude of treating police with contempt arises from two factors: 1. Videos that show the cops behaving badly (thus building upon a negative stereotypical image) and 2. People's fear of being controlled by someone who has much more authority than they do.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sciski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    468

    Default

    I like how the first officer de-escalated the situation when he removed his sunnies (thus showing his eyes) and introduced himself by his first name. Well done.

  10. #10
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Any guesses on the MBTI type of officer #1?

Similar Threads

  1. Can ESFP make a good cop?
    By TylerFromTexas in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 03:14 AM
  2. Overall, are drugs good, or bad, for people?
    By Brendan in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 03:49 AM
  3. [ENFP] ENFP's: Good or Bad Listeners?
    By SillySapienne in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 04:42 PM
  4. Good and bad should be exclusive.
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO