User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I suggest that individuals interested in this read Dave Grossman's On Killing: The Psychological Costs of Learning to Kill in War and Society.
    I read it a few years ago. Really interesting.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Police: 84 confirmed dead at Norwegian island retreat where gunman opened fire
    I don't have words.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    ^ to quote a dear friend of mine "Kong dies... man is the real monster"

People like to try to distance themselves from those that commit these kind of acts by claiming they are some how mental aberrant so as to assure themselves that they could never do such a thing.

Well if the Stanford prison experiment has shown us anything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment it's that we all are capable of the unthinkable given the right circumstances.
    I firmly believe this to be true. I've had unsettling personal experiences that confirm it.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

RDF

Early indications are that that a lone right-winger is responsible for both the bombing and the shootings, and that he was targeting the ruling left-wing Labor Party (and their kids, at the Labor Party summer camp on the island).

[...] But authorities said they did not know the motive. Late Friday night Norwegian broadcaster TV2 said the man arrested was Anders Behring Breivik, a 32-year-old Oslo resident, although a police spokesman wouldn't confirm that.

A Facebook page matching that name and description gave the man's beliefs as "Christian" and "conservative" and said he runs a farm.

A police official suggested to the Associated Press that the incident was homegrown, saying it was more akin to "Oklahoma City" than "World Trade Center," the news agency reported.

Both strikes Friday targeted Norway's ruling Labor Party. The first incident, at about 3:30 p.m., involved at least one bomb blast in central Oslo that damaged a number of government buildings including the finance ministry and the government headquarters. At least seven people were killed.

That was followed later in the afternoon by an attack at the island of Utoya about 20 miles away, where a man dressed as a police officer opened fire, shooting several people attending the summer camp of the youth wing of the Labor Party. Police didn't give ages for the dead. The camp caters to youths from 13 to 20 years olds.

Acting police Chief Sveinung Sponheim said that police found undetonated explosives at the camp site. [...]

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories
    So I guess they're considering it more of a Timothy McVeigh-type thing.

He's still a terrorist, just not technically an Islamist terrorist but may have been used by Islamist terrorists.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    He's still a terrorist, just not technically an Islamist terrorist but may have been used by Islamist terrorists.
    It's early yet; they're still trying to find out the whole story. But another report painted him as anti-muslim as well. Increasingly, reports are portraying him as a local yokel who took his politics a little too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    It's early yet; they're still trying to find out the whole story. But another report painted him as anti-muslim as well. Increasingly, reports are portraying him as a local yokel who took his politics a little too seriously.
    This guy is xenophobic. He was anti-Islam until he changed his mind about who his enemies were.

This is purportedly one of his blog entries.

http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/20...-norm-why.html

RDF

I just read the first and last few paragraphs (and skimmed a bit). If that's his work, then yeah it looks like xenophobia is driving his resentment against the local Labor Party. He thinks the Labor Party is letting in too many immigrants, who are then supposedly taking over the country.

That's about the norm for these right-wing militia types, at least the ones in the U.S. They often show a big xenophobic streak, among other things.

[Update:] Apparently Breivik himself didn't write the article linked above. But apparently he has blogged with similar anti-immigration views and runs with the same crowd and cites the above writer in his own work. Anyway, more here: http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...ela_Geller_Fan
    Last edited by RDF; 07-23-2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Updated

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What an appalling story. They are saying that from the emerging story this seems to be more like Norway's "Oklahoma City" than Norway's "9-11", but I guess we'll see.

It's hard to understand how one gunman killed so many, if indeed there was just one but that's what it sounds like. The whole thing is tragic, if only police could have got there a bit sooner, more might have been saved.

I've been to Oslo and it is so hard to imagine something like this happening there, a relatively small and very peaceful place. This is the worst thing to happen to them since the war and the worst Western European terrorist attack since 7/7 in London in 2005. I am surprised that more didn't die in the bombing, but I am not sure if they've accounted for all the victims. I know a couple who live in Oslo and they were both working not that far from the bombing but were fine. Friends of friends who live there are also all ok, apparently.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Stories like this are better then a cup of black coffee because its so horrible and stupid it woke me up instantly. 84 connections to reality were logged off forever. Then again my brain has billions of neurons...gotta wake up