First 34567 Last

i think it's funny. i'd wear the top and dig out the
    mechanism that makes the baby moves and stick
    it on jock's cheek.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

There appears to be some "agenda" confusion in this discussion. This topic is not about adults breastfeeding (or not) in public. It is about a $90 pseudo-lactation halter for 8 year olds to suckle dolls.

The following headline op-ed is linked on The Breast Milk Baby main webpage. It appears that the toy-makers have a specific interest apart from the usual financial aim:

God Supports The Breast Milk Baby

Last week Berjuan Toys, launched the world’s first breastfeeding doll, “The Breast Milk Baby” into the U.S. market. The doll lets young girls express their love and affection in the most natural way possible, by simulating natural nursing. According to Dennis Lewis, U.S. spokesman for Berjuan Toys, “the whole purpose of The Breast Milk Baby is to teach children the nurturing skills they’ll need to raise their own healthy babies in the future. Breastfeeding is good for babies, it’s good for mommies and it’s good for society. We really don’t understand why this has created such controversy.”

According to Mr. Lewis, “The truth is that we’ve received overwhelming support online from all over the country. However, about 20% of the messages have been hateful and mean. We’re being called perverts and pedophiles for promoting feeding our babies the way God intended? Churches all over the world are filled with images of Mary nursing baby Jesus, and yet we can’t imagine letting our daughters learn how important breastfeeding is for our society?”

With few exceptions, the World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life for all babies. Also, former Pope John Paul II stated, “So human and natural is this bond that the Psalms use the image of the infant at its mother’s breast as a picture of God’s care for man (cf. Ps 22:9).”

“A hundred years ago, 90% of Americans would have laughed at all this controversy. Breastfeeding was considered a normal part of everyday life until the pharmaceutical companies struck gold with the idea of artificial milk in the 1920s. As Americans we’ve been duped into believing there’s something shameful and taboo about breastfeeding, but the truth is that this idea was created to sell more baby formula. The Breast Milk Baby is a serious product, created by a small family owned Christian toy manufacturer who strongly believes in the benefits of feeding babies the natural God given way. Our dolls are beautiful and well made, and we’re proud of them.”
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

It appears that the topic strayed to the original agenda of the toymakers...

Oh and btw, there was a study published in the British Journal of Medicine earlier this year, that has issues with this:

With few exceptions, the World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life for all babies.
    It's now considered not a good idea to exclusively breast feed for the first six months, recommending that mothers start solids at approximately 4 months since there are nutrients lacking in breast milk that can cause a number of issues in the baby.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...ies-scientists
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...s-experts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Ayup. Grown-up projections and agendas being pushed onto little kids' psyches, then profited from = lame, but not unusual in the slightest.

Then again, the company did state that God himself supports The Breast Milk Baby Doll. Promoting your toy as having the blessing of the Almighty directly takes real chutzpah... or, of course they're just a bunch of kooks? I think they thought it would further validate the "normalcy" of their product, but for me it does just the opposite.

Here are 'stage-of-life' discussions that I think are natural and normal that I will be having openly with my children that do not require Mattel-sponsored toy versions with moving parts:

puberty (no armpit/pubic hair chia pet dolls thanks)
    childbirth
    lactation
    menstruation
    ejaculation
    masturbation
    copulation
    aging (change lifelike Depends diapers just like Mom does with Grandma Wilkins /creepy/)
    death

I've seen online that there are anatomically correct dolls that teachers and educators can purchase (doll-size or life-size) for sex education purposes and provided the time has arrived and the parents are okay with it, I see no issue. Apparently, they're also very useful in teaching sex education at schools of the blind, which would present a unique challenge if you're trying to explain something that is fairly visual.

I'm sure many other people will reach different conclusions about what sort of toys they think are suitable for their young children. However, I'm going to pass on this particular one along with any further $90 "benevolent" toys that usurp my considered introduction & my child's imagination onto important stage-of-life/bodily function topics.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Ayup. Grown-up projections and agendas being pushed onto little kids' psyches, then profited from = lame, but not unusual in the slightest.
    What agenda might this be?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    What agenda might this be?
    You'd have to ask Berjuan Toys. You don't tout God and the Vatican on your website as toy-endorsements if you're operating with strictly financial aims.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

You'd have to ask Berjuan Toys. You don't tout God and the Vatican on your website as toy-endorsements if you're operating with strictly financial aims.
    Bible thumpers are a tremendously lucrative demographic. Remember Gibson's Passion of the Christ? Seeing that movie nearly became a new sacrament.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

You realize that was more in response to the negative reaction from America in particular ... they received hate mail from churches / religious groups saying they were trying to pervert children.

EDIT: I do admit it's a pretty forthright, and not a little controversial, way of tackling the issue.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Bible thumpers are a tremendously lucrative demographic. Remember Gibson's Passion of the Christ? Seeing that movie nearly became a new sacrament.
    Oh, definitely.

Yet if this was strictly a money-maker, why try to appeal to a specific religious demographic considering that God/Vatican endorsements would naturally attract certain consumers while repelling others? I find it hard to believe that a specific religious endorsement does not go hand-in-hand with a specific social agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    You realize that was more in response to the negative reaction from America in particular ... they received hate mail from churches / religious groups saying they were trying to pervert children.
    I saw in the article that they had received hate mail, yes. I was unaware that their religious endorsement came after the threats as a defensive measure. Where did you read this?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ will go back and find that link - until substantiated, at least float that as an option ...

Here's the ABC news story: Breast Milk Baby

This is an amusing excerpt:

Dr. Ned Hallowell, a child psychiatrist, says parents have absolutely nothing to worry about.

"I don't think it's sexualizing any more than a little boy standing next to his father shaving and putting on shaving cream," Hallowell said. "The only way harm can be done with this doll is if you beat this kid over the head with the doll."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching