User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 27

  1. #1
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default Eugenics. How much should it cost?

    It's not a big secret that eugenics was once a widespread practice, especially in the first half of the 20th century. In the U.S. thousands of mentally retarded, psychologically disadvantaged and otherwise "unfit" humans were sterilized as late as 1981(Oregon).

    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...ng-up-for.html

    In N.C. the eugenics program was abolished in 1974, so there are still living victims who are now pressing the government for compensation. How much should one receive for reparations? Some figures that have been thrown out seem low($10,000) and some seem exceptionally high($Millions$$$). How much do you think your ability to reproduce is worth?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  2. #2
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    I'd also like to come forward and say that I think eugenics programs could be implemented in a way that reduces the cost to taxpayers and also improves the condition of the human race; however, since the topic of sterilizing "undesirables" is a touchy topic I chose to ask the "how much is it worth to the 'victim'?" instead of "Can eugenics be used for 'good' as well as 'evil'?", both of which I'd be open to hearing opinions on.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  3. #3
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    There should be no compensation since what was done was legal at the time. If what was done wasn't illegal, it cannot be punished if it has not occurred after the law was passed.

    Sterilizations should be resumed, also, in my opinion. Nature doesn't weed out our unfit anymore, so we need to take that responsibility ourselves. Like I have said a thousand times.
    Some people want to solve all possible problems by not paying taxes and having a minimal set of rules and small government (libertarians), but it can't be solved like that.
    Undesirables survive however hard you try if they are still within society, and they multiply.
    The U.S is proof of that, like the Soviet Union was proof that communism sucks.
    Socialism wants to pay for our genetic degradation by making life easy for people so that the weak does not need to face adversity and perish.
    Well... I'm such a nazi sometimes, and it's not easy to say these things. They are true, however, even if individual cases makes the heart bleed.
    Ideals has their price. If one has real convictions, one cannot afford to be squeamish.

    P.S, you should be used to this by now so save me the emotional outbursts where you accuse me of being a nazi. I am not a nazi, it is a skewed ideology and I don't hate jews etc. I am a social-darwinist.
    Same thing, you say? I daresay the two are separate because national socialism was conceived by a drug-abusing madman who had daddy issues and hated jews because he was one, and had a raging hard-on for his niece.
    I just don't like how things are progressing, and stuff needs to be done in order to secure the best possible result for the largest possible amount of people. The greater good, etc. The end justifies the means. You get it.
    So if you feel the slightest inclination of being uncivil, i'll not answer. I've made my point of view abundantly clear (I think), so it should suffice.

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  4. #4
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    There should be no compensation since what was done was legal at the time. If what was done wasn't illegal, it cannot be punished if it has not occurred after the law was passed.
    Modern-day negroes are still compensated for slavery. Are you pro-slavery, YLJ?

  5. #5
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Modern-day negroes are still compensated for slavery. Are you pro-slavery, YLJ?
    I don't have anything against black people and I don't like slavery, but i'd be against compensation there as well. Are you pro-slavery, Smiley?

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  6. #6
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I don't have anything against black people and I don't like slavery, but i'd be against compensation there as well. Are you pro-slavery, Smiley?
    Don't be silly.

    Of course I am.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Don't be silly.

    Of course I am.
    Cool! Report to my plantation at 8 am sharp.

  8. #8
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I'd also like to come forward and say that I think eugenics programs could be implemented in a way that reduces the cost to taxpayers and also improves the condition of the human race; however, since the topic of sterilizing "undesirables" is a touchy topic I chose to ask the "how much is it worth to the 'victim'?" instead of "Can eugenics be used for 'good' as well as 'evil'?", both of which I'd be open to hearing opinions on.
    The only moral way of implementing eugenics (in my opinion) is to limit sterilization to the mentally disabled individuals who are wards of the state. Obviously, the gov't can't go around breaking into people's houses, dragging out their retarded children and sterilizing them. But I suppose people with retarded dependents could be afforded some sort of additional financial support if they get them sterilized.

    Also, the qualification for the sterilization should be determined by some kind of objective criteria, though DNA testing for example, i.e. a person with Down's Syndrome qualifies, but low IQ score in and of itself is insufficient.


    But enough of this - on to something more serious:

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I don't have anything against black people...
    ...and I think everyone should own one.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  9. #9
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    I think I've posted about this before. At one of my former work places, there was a woman who insisted on having children, in spite of the fact both her and her partner had chromosomal disorders. She revealed this after she had her first child who died in it's first week from severe abnormalities. She knew before she even got pregnant. What makes the situation worse was genetic counsellors had advised her under no circumstances should she get pregnant, because there was absolutely no way any children she carried would be viable for life. She was of average to low average intelligence, so she should have comprehended the full meaning of the genetic counsellors statement.
    Up until then, I never supported Eugenics, but some people can't over ride the reproductive imperative.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #10
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Tbh how many people with down syndrome actually manage to have kids?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. How much does it cost a night where you live?
    By kyuuei in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM
  2. how much should a puppy eat?
    By miss fortune in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 02:36 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
  4. How much does gas cost?
    By miss fortune in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 07:07 AM
  5. I versus E: It's not how much you talk, but how you talk.
    By Brendan in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO