User Tag List

First 23456 Last

@Patches @Lateralus

I wish I shared your confidence that they will not evolve and become a problem.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    @Patches @Lateralus

If they did become a "problem", why would you care? Do you think you would be a target?

I'm more concerned with real criminal hacking. Drug cartels are getting into the hacking business. THAT concerns me. Chinese government hackers concern me. Anonymous? Not even close.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

I think of it like this, as long as they don't

1: Do real real damage like hacking into the government system or the like
    2: Constantly use their lioc signature move constantly on one site (say break down the MIAA site on a weekly basis.)
    3: Form a REAL group that terrorize the internet.

Than we are safe.

Anonymous is just a name. A makeshift group. It comes and goes just as quickly. It is just a banner when something comes up that just needs to be.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Timeline of events involving Anonymous per Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...ving_Anonymous

Apparently they took out CBS.com yesterday. They also took out UniversalMusic.com, multiple Brazilian websites (government and private industry), and Vivendi.

Is anyone else concerned about their activities?
    Just read the list of brazilian websites and they took down some tourism and news sites that don't have anything to do with SOPA or PIPA. And the few government websites they took out here were mostly municipal prefectures'.
    Seems they're just a bunch of bored young nerds with a facade cause. I expected more from them.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

figsfiggyfigs

Timeline of events involving Anonymous per Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...ving_Anonymous

Apparently they took out CBS.com yesterday. They also took out UniversalMusic.com, multiple Brazilian websites (government and private industry), and Vivendi.

Is anyone else concerned about their activities?
    Yes, I'm torn. There is part of me that does not like the idea, and part that does. It is similar to the Dexter-dilemma. Killers killing killers. The idea of them having such power over anything should be a concern for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm more concerned with real criminal hacking. Drug cartels are getting into the hacking business. THAT concerns me. Chinese government hackers concern me. Anonymous? Not even close.
    This probably concerns me more, though.

Enneagram
    7 so

Why do you all assume a group like Anonymous would tell the truth about anything.

They apparently are a secret group of hackers. Don't work under the assumptions any information about them is true.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I think of it like this, as long as they don't

1: Do real real damage like hacking into the government system or the like
    2: Constantly use their lioc signature move constantly on one site (say break down the MIAA site on a weekly basis.)
    3: Form a REAL group that terrorize the internet.

Than we are safe.

Anonymous is just a name. A makeshift group. It comes and goes just as quickly. It is just a banner when something comes up that just needs to be.
    Considering what we (don't) know about the group, I would say you've listed too many conditions to be avoided for us to consider ourselves "safe."

I have to agree with @Mr TickTock on this one.

Why do you all assume a group like Anonymous would tell the truth about anything.

They apparently are a secret group of hackers. Don't work under the assumptions any information about them is true.
    Who's to say that they won't form a terrorist organization? Or inspire real hackers to take reckless action against the government under their name? For Christ's sake, they call themselves ANONYMOUS! Clearly, anyone who operates under their banner has something to hide: their identities. And if we all know about the Ring of Gyges (or LotR), then we understand that "wherever anyone thinks that he can safely be unjust, there he is unjust."

Playing pranks on government websites in response to justifiable laws is juvenile. It's irresponsible to romanticize people who act maliciously (of their own accord, with absolutely no obligation to us) against a legitimate authority (which is obligated to protect our rights). This is not a comic book or an action movie; this is real life. It's doubtful that anything good will come from Anonymous.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think Chinese hackers that actually get into defense and multinational sites to steal secrets and software are considerably more dangerous, the more so for currently being mostly invisible despite how long this crap has been going on for. For one thing, how long is it going to be before some government or other determines that their national territory includes the sections of cyberspace where you find their governmental and commercial network infrastructure? How else are they meant to even begin comprehensive protection of "national interests"? It'll become more serious the more infrastructure is placed online, and in the end how much infrastructure or the management systems for infrastructure won't be accessible by computer? Commercial pressure alone means almost all of it will be one day.

Then again, apparently even the biggest internet heists start with simple phishing.

Which will be easier once anonymous creates enough news to let national governments start making policy to geographicalise the internet, making for different security conditions in servers on different continents.

OMG! CAN U SEE IT TOO? THE CIA RUNS ANONYMOUS! THAT"S WHY THEYRE MAKING THEIR PLAY NOW!

ANONYMOUS MAKES SOPA COME TRUE!

Those clever bastards.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Not really.

What they're doing is DDOS attacks, not 'actual' hacking. Denial of Service attacks just flood a website with too much traffic, which cause the servers to be unable to handle it, and they close down. Most websites don't go down for more than a few hours. They're not actually getting into anything important. They're basically simulating 'too many people' visiting a website. It's child's play.

They went after the FBI's website right after Megaupload got taken down, and the site was back up within an hour.

The best comparison I have heard for what Anonymous is doing... Is that this is the internet equivalent of tearing down a poster.
    You're right. The DDOS attacks are retarded and pointless unless, of course, they were kept up to keep sites offline for weeks (which would be much much much more effective). But recently they stole credit card numbers. They made donations to charities, but still... (1) more than DDOS (2) susceptible to abuse and (3) kinda fucked up, depending on who the victims were.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I know a lot of tech guys in Ireland who run security for smaller online business, including government offices like citizens advice, and they have told me that anonymous amounts to a lot of kid hackers uploading viruses and logic bombs created by and provided by someone else, it only inconveniences and bothers marginal or peripheral businesses.

I dont know about anyone else but that sort of arrangment just sounds like they're a bunch of tools, it would be far, far too easy in an arrangment like that for the whole supposed resistance to be some intelligence agency's proxy, or if its not a proxy for it to be infiltrated and turned into one. Like the phony resistance in Orwell's 1984.

I see all that and most of the uprisings around the world, including Russia presently and the Arab uprisings, to be forms of geo-political economic warfare between elites of the obscenely rich. There's not a movement alive which hasnt been, couldnt be or wont be co-opted knowingly or unknowingly.