User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    You have to be kidding me. They did it voluntarily in return for money. Stop whining.
    Sometimes individuals will do things for money that aren't in the best interest of humanity, and sometimes that aren't even in the best interest of themselves. We do not know their life circumstances, or what exactly brought them into this situation. The implications here are that some people find it amusing to imagine life as it was before the emancipation of the slaves, and it opens wounds that should be allowed to heal (they haven't yet).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Sometimes individuals will do things for money that aren't in the best interest of humanity, and sometimes that aren't even in the best interest of themselves. We do not know their life circumstances, or what exactly brought them into this situation.
    Hitler believed he had the moral authority to decide what was good for the individual and what wasn't. Are you a Nazi, Jonnyboy? I assume you take the same bleeding heart approach to reality shows and all sorts of other possibly "damaging" vocations.
    When dealing with unknowns it is only reasonable to - if you want to evaluate a situation holistically - to have them assume normalized values. Thus we have to presume the negroes mentioned in the article came from normal lower-/middle-class upbringings, and who would say no to the job if the thought of doing it caused them some kind of emotional distress. Because I said so.

The implications here are that some people find it amusing to imagine life as it was before the emancipation of the slaves, and it opens wounds that should be allowed to heal (they haven't yet).
    Who's to say they haven't healed in these specific negroes? Are you against satire, Jonnyboy? Because you are attacking part of the foundation upon which it rests, sir.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It does seem racist. Here's why I'm not jumping to conclusions:

1. It's in Africa.. a lot of people employed there happen to be black, and run businesses like catering. If they had an all-black staff, I don't think I'd think much of it.
    2. It's a white family, who may have never married outside of the family lines so to speak. They hired a catering service and did what they were paid to do, simply enough. They could have refused if they felt offended, but they didn't.

The article does little in the way of saying, "They tricked an all-black staff to cater for them!" for me.. When my sister got married, there weren't many black people, and most of them were invited from friends far removed. I think we had 2 there, max, that I can recall. However, the catering company we chose was ran by a black family that was a friend of my father's back when they drove busses together. I don't think we were racist for choosing them to cook for us.

As far as I can see, the family never meant it to be racist. It seems sad people turn someone's potentially best day ever into a viral internet sensation about how racist white people are for hiring black people.

Ps: "Colonial" -- When I read this, I immediately thought of Safari's, white column houses, flags, fancy tea parties, and globes and exploration postcards.. Not about black slaves. The term is decorative now as well.. it's not just a reference to a shitty history. Words evolve.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    It seems to me that the photography studio foolishly blundered the album title misrepresenting the theme/atmosphere of the event (which was film-based versus time-period based) and the fast-as-light internet gossip machine fed the story-starved blogging machine faster than oily sardines down a starving cat's gullet and the up-in-arm reactionaries took the reins from there.
    Business as usual. Unfortunately.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I was going to say what Kyuuei said, but she beat me to it

and in the same vein, does it make me racist because most of the restraunts that I eat at in my neighborhood are mostly staffed and run by minorities?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It does seem racist. Here's why I'm not jumping to conclusions:

1. It's in Africa.. a lot of people employed there happen to be black, and run businesses like catering. If they had an all-black staff, I don't think I'd think much of it.
    2. It's a white family, who may have never married outside of the family lines so to speak. They hired a catering service and did what they were paid to do, simply enough. They could have refused if they felt offended, but they didn't.

The article does little in the way of saying, "They tricked an all-black staff to cater for them!" for me.. When my sister got married, there weren't many black people, and most of them were invited from friends far removed. I think we had 2 there, max, that I can recall. However, the catering company we chose was ran by a black family that was a friend of my father's back when they drove busses together. I don't think we were racist for choosing them to cook for us.

As far as I can see, the family never meant it to be racist. It seems sad people turn someone's potentially best day ever into a viral internet sensation about how racist white people are for hiring black people.

Ps: "Colonial" -- When I read this, I immediately thought of Safari's, white column houses, flags, fancy tea parties, and globes and exploration postcards.. Not about black slaves. The term is decorative now as well.. it's not just a reference to a shitty history. Words evolve.
    Hmmm... Put in that light, it does seem innocuous enough. I guess my White-Guilt-O-Meter was set to "auto-pilot"...

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

and in the same vein, does it make me racist because most of the restraunts that I eat at in my neighborhood are mostly staffed and run by minorities?
    No, though it might say something about the workforce if more black people than white people are stuck in McJobs...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Only if you bring all your white friends, whatever. You need at least one minority in your group in order for you to not be racist.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    No, though it might say something about the workforce if more black people than white people are stuck in McJobs...
    it's more likely to say something about the ethnic makeup of my part of town

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ Only if you bring all your white friends, whatever. You need at least one minority in your group in order for you to not be racist.
    so if I eat by myself I'm a racist bitch, but if I bring the man I'm not?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    IsFJ

You need a Black Friend(TM), whatever.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi