User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's a matter of degree. Oppression of Africans essentially defined this era. Makes it a little different from, say, reenactments of the first Thanksgiving.
    And Thanksgiving celebrates what preceded and led to the effective genocide of the American Indians, the misnamed "Renaissance" festivels celebrate a culture and social structure that oppressed most people as serfs or peasants, etc. People can reasonably have different opinions as to what defines an era or culture; most Americans view the colonial period as a time when the nation they love was in its embryonic state, eventually leading to the development of everything they hold dear. One can celebrate that without implicitly celebrating the negative aspects, such as the oppression of African slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    And Thanksgiving celebrates what preceded and led to the effective genocide of the American Indians, the misnamed "Renaissance" festivels celebrate a culture and social structure that oppressed most people as serfs or peasants, etc. People can reasonably have different opinions as to what defines an era or culture; most Americans view the colonial period as a time when the nation they love was in its embryonic state, eventually leading to the development of everything they hold dear. One can celebrate that without implicitly celebrating the negative aspects, such as the oppression of African slaves.
    Here is the deal.

This took place in Africa. To be exact, South Africa.

It doesn't take much to understand how much manipulation goes on in Africa.

Thanksgiving was what proceeded the tragedy. This, and how it is being shown, is "during the tragedy."

If it was about buying these slaves from the African Tribes to bring to the U.S., THAT would be a slightly different topic and would proceed this altogether.

MBTI
    INFP

Any historical and accuratly themed anything has dark periods or uncomfortable settings.....whats the problem?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Most Thanksgiving celebrations don't involve burning Indian buildings, scalping their men and infecting their women with smallpox, either.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    Here is the deal.

This took place in Africa. To be exact, South Africa.

It doesn't take much to understand how much manipulation goes on in Africa.

Thanksgiving was what proceeded the tragedy. This, and how it is being shown, is "during the tragedy."

If it was about buying these slaves from the African Tribes to bring to the U.S., THAT would be a slightly different topic and would proceed this altogether.
    I didn't realize this was in South Africa (obviously, I didn't read the link). Still, that doesn't really change my position any; its fine for them to celebrate their cultural heritage (presumably Afrikaaner, but I don't care enough to check), but having hired help wear 'authentic' slave uniforms is entirely inappropriate.

MBTI
    INTP

Most Thanksgiving celebrations don't involve burning Indian buildings, scalping their men and infecting their women with smallpox, either.
    Somehow, I doubt even this themed wedding included widescale massacres, ethnic cleansing, and enslavement. (If it did, I will officially find it shocking enough to click on the link).

MBTI
    STP

The waitstaff was probably captured from their native village for this.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Somehow, I doubt even this themed wedding included widescale massacres, ethnic cleansing, and enslavement. (If it did, I will officially find it shocking enough to click on the link).
    Perhaps not. But kids of all races dress up as both Pilgrims and Indians, and both roles are considered equal. Not so, here.

MBTI
    INTP

Perhaps not. But kids of all races dress up as both Pilgrims and Indians, and both roles are considered equal. Not so, here.
    Which is why having hired servers wear slave costumes is inappropriate (particularly in South Africa, where the hired help is almost certain to be black); if everyone wants to wear period costumes of aristocrats while being served by people wearing period costumes of servants (not slaves), then I have no problem with it.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Which is why having hired servers wear slave costumes is inappropriate (particularly in South Africa, where the hired help is almost certain to be black); if everyone wants to wear period costumes of aristocrats while being served by people wearing period costumes of servants (not slaves), then I have no problem with it.
    Still enforcing social roles whose legacy the country is still trying to reconcile.