Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    But why wouldn't you divide them? Different regions of the USA are completely different. Even different cities in the SAME state are completely different. You can drive for 60 minutes in this place and the rules change completely, the circumstances are completely different, and the laws should reflect that. Cultures vary greatly so we have to accommodate for them by allowing autonomy (I believe this is the key strength of democracy) rather than homogeneity.
    I don't know, I honestly don't think I'd mind it at all. If I think of reason why I would, I'll return later.

Especially the driver's license thing, jesus. It worked for 90 years before the Internet was used by the federal government, did it actually decrease car accidents that the state of California can see that someone had a suspended license five years ago in Alabama? You could still get arrested if you drove a car in Alabama, but not if you had a license in the state you currently lived, as long as you obeyed traffic laws in the new state, of course. I'd honestly like to research this, if it's actually helped save anyone's life (in significant numbers) for them to connect the DMV across the entire country like that.

I do understand that it makes it easier to look for felons and murderers, though, and in that case it's okay.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The driver's license thing has something to do with terrorists doesn't it?

Default How do we keep the U.S. from defaulting on it's debt obligations?

Wow. This generated a lot of discussion and a lot more interesting tangents than I anticipated.

If you think the Democrats of compromised too much, how do you propose they keep they keep the nation from defaulting?

Quite frankly, I see that as the worst possible scenario (the U.S.A. defaulting). So much so that I have moved almost all of my 401k out of the U.S., and what is left is indirect investment in comodoties (I don't have a lot of options for my 401k). But there is no telling the damage it will do to the world economy at large. It's unprecidented. The U.S. has a perfect record on not defaulting. That is why the dollar is still the world currency.

When I talk about compromising on social security, I don't mean dismantling it. It could possibly mean privatizing it, but not necessarily. It could mean raising the age of retirment, recalculating how the distributions are made based on how much is actually in the pool (making it essentially pay for itself), etc.

It is my belief that truth and reason will eventually prevail. I just hope it doesn't take a Lehman Brothers x 2000 type of default and ensuing financial crisis to make it clear what is (was) true, and what is (was) reasonable.

People like to degrade the Bush and Obama adminstrations for the current situation, but I believe the truth is, if they hadn't done TARP, we would have been in a much worse situation than we are in now. Granted, I think the better option would have been to give the money straight to the people paying the mortgages, and then more heavily taxing those who made money on those mortgages at every level. But I am no economist.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    If you think the Democrats of compromised too much, how do you propose they keep they keep the nation from defaulting?
    Pay off debt

scrap the fica tax and create a new tax bracket
    (or two: people earning $1 million+ and $10million+)
    regressive to progressive
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Pay off debt
    How do you propose we do that?

Both parties agreed to a budget earlier that had less tax revenue than spending. We would need to close that gap and then some, to pay of the debt.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    How do you propose we do that?

Both parties agreed to a budget earlier that had less tax revenue than spending. We would need to close that gap and then some, to pay of the debt.
    To obtain more money, one could increase tax revenue. This would be, by far, the simplest solution (and therefore the best)

MBTI
    INTP

To obtain more money, one could increase tax revenue. This would be, by far, the simplest solution (and therefore the best)
    That would only raise more revenue in the (very) short term; in the medium to long-term government revenues (not to mention unemployment) would be worse.

Current entitlement policies are based on a historical demographic reality that doesn't exist anymore-there are fewer tax-payers per highly expensive dependents (i.e. old people). This is an unsustainable arrangement.

MBTI
    INFP

Higher tax burdens on a weak economy makes it more difficult to recover in any shape or form, whilst it gives politicians more loot to divy up the cash for political reasons. Besides, extra red tape and taxes chases bigger business to other countries(the ones that can afford to), while smaller business suffer for it.

I liked Ron Paul's suggestions. Start cutting expenditures of the empire first, use part of the funds to care for the dependant. Allow the people to opt out of the system with lower taxes, and set up their own funds for the future. Then cut departments which are only there to add bureaucracy and inefficiency.

Thats a good place to start.

FigerPuppet

Squeeze the fat cats some.