MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default 'TV Skeptic: 'Nightline' moves beyond credibility"

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...nd-belief.html

One of the defining moments in television journalism occurred in November 1979, just days after Americans were taken hostage at the U.S. embassy in Iran. ABC launched a nightly half-hour national news program that aired at 11:30 p.m. to cover the crisis. Hosted by Ted Koppel, the program later became known as "Nightline," and featured a new format that covered topics in-depth and intelligently.

But, oh, how the mighty have fallen. Koppel has long since left the network, and this once serious news program has adopted a breezy, lighter, magazine format. On Wednesday, ABC launched a new edition,"Nightline Primetime: Beyond Belief," that promises to explore different paranormal phenomena. In the premiere, host Juju Chang tackles the "Psychic Twins" and the notion that identical twins are able to communicate telepathically.

This is what happens when news divisions get taken over by entertainment. The journalistic standards go right out the window...
    Thoughts and comments? Have others noticed such shifts in recent times, moreso than typical?

(Note the recent buyout of Newsweek by Daily Beast. The magazine at least made a pretense of actual news in the past, even if a mainstream market. Since the merger, the mag looks even more sensationalized and the topic matter has become the same. The last issue had a full center story about what Princess Diana would be like nowadays if still alive -- with fake news written based on what her life likely would have been, and Photoshop-doctored pictures of her as she might have looked today. That was creepy.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

The reality is that audiences have changed. People who want serious news don't get it from TV (actually they don't always get it from the mainstream media...).

The only news-related show I ever watch on TV are shows like "The Chaser's Yes We Canberra". Perhaps there is something to that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    The reality is that audiences have changed. People who want serious news don't get it from TV (actually they don't always get it from the mainstream media...).
    That's actually a great point.

I think back when those programs were established and centerpieces of our media culture, there also weren't a lot of alternatives... and the mainstream TV audience seemed more interested in "news" events in general and educating oneself. We've seen a lot of decline since then, especially in terms of the value of daily newspapers and TV, with the onset of the Internet.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I think news media in general are suffering in this way. The problem is the integration has been so gradual and subtle that people haven't really noticed that its happened and they continue to eat it up. People are genuinely starting to believe that entertainment is news. The media keeps trying to fool me into thinking that some idiotic celebrity breaking up with their girlfriend/boyfriend of 5 minutes is actually important.

Its funny to think that all that kept this happening in the past was that news organisations cared about credibility. Now such things aren't valued and they're willing to whore themselves out for a couple of bucks.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I generally get my news from sources other than T.V.
    I used to love watching things like Foreign correspondence etc, but yes, I too tired of entertainment encroaching on upon real news. If I want a social commentary, I'll watch a social commentary type program. I don't care whether Angelina and Brad are still together.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Have you heard about the closing of the Brit monolith News of the World? Talk about how the mighty have fallen which includes horrific "journalism" in the past few years. Sad indeed.

http://www.mmegi.bw/index.php?sid=11...1/July/Friday8

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Have you heard about the closing of the Brit monolith News of the World? Talk about how the mighty have fallen which includes horrific "journalism" in the past few years. Sad indeed.
    A tabloid newspaper? One that is effectively going to be absorbed/rebranded and put back on the market?
    Forgive me for not shedding any tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    A tabloid newspaper? One that is effectively going to be absorbed/rebranded and put back on the market?
    Forgive me for not shedding any tears.

It was initially created "for the masses" and had its worthwhile moments. But you're right. It has always been a sensationalist style paper and has only gotten worse with the Murdoch ownership.