User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Would you like to live in the world of the Ads?

If you look at the ads on TV they depict more than simply the things which are on sale, in fact a lot of products arent sold simply for what they are anymore but also because of what they are associated with, so you might buy a particular beer because its associated with having a great social scene or being adventurous or manly (dont see a lot of beer ads trying to appeal to females to be honest).

Anyway, would you like to live in the world depicted by ads or is it a little lame and one dimensionally populated by the beautiful people walking around minimalist hotels?

If there are ads which you'd like to live in are there similarly others which you'd think were hell to live in? Which are they and what's the most important point in distinguishing one from the other.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It's called America.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

The most horrible ad to live in would be a cereal ad. A family wakes up in the morning and everyone has cereals and smiles. I wouldn't want to wake up that early, and I don't have appetite in the morning, and I don't like middle class decoration, and I probably wouldn't want kids either, and I am not really that social when I wake up.

There aren't many ads aimed at introverts, I think. Advertisements seem very much Fe to me.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Id only bother to live in a commercial if I get to 'destroy' it in my own way, preferably by introducing real-life things like poverty, discontent, and incredibly savvy and skeptical consumers, anything to turn the commercial into something unpleasant, bizarre, and real. I can only imagine the viewers' reactions.

The Head-on commercial would be the worst. Would I get to punch that narrators lights out after they start to repeat themselves? Everyone exposed to said commercials could use an impromptu "would you shut the fuck up already?" followed by the sounds of a brawl to provide some relief.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Which ad? Can I live in an advertisement for Chanel fashions? Or in those perfume and dishes ads where everyone is rich, educated, and sophisticated?

Or do I have to live in an ad for Mountain Dew? This makes all of the difference in the world to me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    The most horrible ad to live in would be a cereal ad. A family wakes up in the morning and everyone has cereals and smiles. I wouldn't want to wake up that early, and I don't have appetite in the morning, and I don't like middle class decoration, and I probably wouldn't want kids either, and I am not really that social when I wake up.

There aren't many ads aimed at introverts, I think. Advertisements seem very much Fe to me.
    I believe ads also appeal to Se and Ne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I would presume that a large number of ads appeal to Se. Or at least, beer/food/cosmetic ads do. Actually...I think I'm just spouting common sense here.

Fe seems to come into play for insurance companies, relief organizations, and the like.

And you know what? I wouldn't mind living in a Prada ad or something, the type that pop up in Vogue or whatever. We are allowed to live in a print ad if we wanted to? Or is OP referring only to television commercials?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Hmm... What I thought was that the ads that have this "world" built around a product, they seem to be aimed at Fe. They build a world that you are supposed to want to belong to. Like, an ad that gives the image that all your peers have iphones. But, yeah, there are a lot of Se ads too, mostly different things you can enjoy. They are not so much about the world around the product, but more about the feeling you get from the product.

What kind would the Ne ads be?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Hmm... What I thought was that the ads that have this "world" built around a product, they seem to be aimed at Fe. They build a world that you are supposed to want to belong to. Like, an ad that gives the image that all your peers have iphones. But, yeah, there are a lot of Se ads too, mostly different things you can enjoy. They are not so much about the world around the product, but more about the feeling you get from the product.

What kind would the Ne ads be?
    I'm not sure what you mean about the feeling you get from the product. The sparkling colors, interesting music, beautiful scenery...all of that appeals to Se and it may have nothing to do with the product. Like, "this commercial is really cool." I think that a bunch, I love aesthetically pleasing ads, of course.

But what about ads with cute things like the Geico lizard? Or the duck from Aflak insurance?

Ooooh...or those cool Nike ads where they show people physically training in a quite visceral manner, where you can almost feel what they're doing. That's definitely Se.

I don't think any of that is Fe. Fe would be the "bandwagoning" technique that is not necessarily used in all ad campaigns, only some, as well as ads which appeal to particular moral values or feelings of group cohesion or relationship cooperation.

I thought that very entertaining commercials might appeal to Ne doms based upon the world created in the commercial, something that generates enthusiasm for the idea being marketed along with the product itself. There are companies which attempt to sell a concept along with their product.

Of course, any commercial which gives the most credence to "trusted" and "traditional" and "since 1943" is appealing to Si.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I loved this ad when I was a kid.