First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If that was the defense attorney I saw interrogating the entomologist... his questions were so convoluted and bass-ackwards, he had to restate himself over and over. I wondered where he got his law degree.

But apparently he confused things enough to suit his purposes.
    I've heard (and I don't know if this is absolutely true) that he got his J.D. from St. Thomas School of Law and a B.S. in Criminology from Florida State University. His defense really was a joke.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I would say that reasonable doubt is not a technicality. My suspicion is that the prosecution allowed reasonable doubt. Whatever the facts of the case, I'm kind of glad at the very least that a defendant in a very emotional (child murder) and high-profile case can still get a fair trial despite the Nancy Grace-ish mob mentality that rushes to judgment because of how sympathetic the victim is.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I've heard (and I don't know if this is absolutely true) that he got his J.D. from St. Thomas School of Law and a B.S. in Criminology from Florida State University. His defense really was a joke.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If that was the defense attorney I saw interrogating the entomologist... his questions were so convoluted and bass-ackwards, he had to restate himself over and over. I wondered where he got his law degree.

But apparently he confused things enough to suit his purposes.
    I hear ya, he was so inarticulate and soft spoken (like he wasn't sure of himself), I was torn between feeling sorry for him and bored out of my mind. Good looking suits though.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I would say that reasonable doubt is not a technicality. My suspicion is that the prosecution allowed reasonable doubt.
    Fortunately for Casey, the prosecution didn't prove their case.

I heard the case was pro bono. Does anyone know if that's true? If it is, then Mr. Baez was probably looking to gain some much needed experience and notoriety. Looks like he hit the jackpot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    Apparently I've been living under a rock, because I'm just now hearing about this story of Casey Anthony and the allegation that she killed her child. The jury found her not guilty today and it's apparently very big news in the nation. Is this another O.J. Simpson story? Was she basically undoubtedly guilty, but the legal system has struck again in an unfortunate "not guilty" verdict based on a technicality/technicalities? I'm too lazy to research the back story.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,1425780.story
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Nevertheless, the media and society will scorn her, just like they have O.J. Simpson.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I would say that reasonable doubt is not a technicality. My suspicion is that the prosecution allowed reasonable doubt. Whatever the facts of the case, I'm kind of glad at the very least that a defendant in a very emotional (child murder) and high-profile case can still get a fair trial despite the Nancy Grace-ish mob mentality that rushes to judgment because of how sympathetic the victim is.
    Don't even get me STARTED on Nancy F*&^%ing Grace.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Pretty much.
    "Pretty much"??

Honestly, all feelings aside iwakar, did you follow this trial? The verdict is not based on technicalities. Aside from all of the media attention, this trial was standard routine. The jury of Casey's peers decided, based on the evidence presented to them, that Casey is not guilty. There was enough reasonable doubt to acquit her. It's the prosecution's responsibility to prove their case and they did not. It's that simple.

MBTI
    FREE

I've followed the case by virtue of those close to me following the case. I was rather surprised by the verdict, as it seems very likely that she did participate in the death of her child. However, I find the reactions to the not guilty verdict to be over the top. People have talked about how they hope Casey Anthony gets beaten or worse by members of the public.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I've followed the case by virtue of those close to me following the case. I was rather surprised by the verdict, as it seems very likely that she did participate in the death of her child. However, I find the reactions to the not guilty verdict to be over the top. People have talked about how they hope Casey Anthony gets beaten or worse by members of the public.
    I'm with you on all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    "Pretty much"??

Honestly, all feelings aside iwakar, did you follow this trial? The verdict is not based on technicalities. Aside from all of the media attention, this trial was standard routine. The jury of Casey's peers decided, based on the evidence presented to them, that Casey is not guilty. There was enough reasonable doubt to acquit her. It's the prosecution's responsibility to prove their case and they did not. It's that simple.
    I did. Interest waned the past several months however. Got sick to death of it as I'm sure many others did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    So was I. As for the violence, unjust acts occur every day because people lack the "power," the competence, or the motivation to effect the opposite --however, I won't be doling out vigilante justice any time soon.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    STFU

the media wanted her blood, and wanted everyone else to desire the same, and it didn't go their way i wonder what white girl murder will oversaturate the news next.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/casey-antho...ry?id=13784113
    http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/may/...ted-florida-b/

The St. Thomas part is true at least. Article #2 has a lot of assorted info.

@NerdGirl: No one knows who is paying him (or I haven't caught up with the right articles yet). Casey has no assets.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft