User Tag List

12311 Last

heart on fire

Default DNA database plans for children who 'could become criminals'

DNA database plans for children who 'could become criminals'

By Simon Johnson
    Last Updated: 2:36am GMT 18/03/2008

Primary school children should be put on the national DNA database if their behaviour suggests they will become criminals, a senior Scotland Yard expert said yesterday.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    DNA database plans for children who 'could become criminals'

By Simon Johnson
    Last Updated: 2:36am GMT 18/03/2008

Primary school children should be put on the national DNA database if their behaviour suggests they will become criminals, a senior Scotland Yard expert said yesterday.
    1984 was set in London...
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't even need to read the article to firmly attest that this would be *terribly* and *inherently* WRONG!!!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Too many goddamn vulnerable spots.

I'm gonna need to sit down for a while. Oh! Which is convenient, because I already am. Maybe I should stand up...

... or is it sit down... hmm...

"I'm gonna need to stand up..."

ick...

"I'm gonna need to sit down"

ew...

I'm gonna keep sitting here.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    OMNi

I can see the reasoning behind it. On one hand I feel it might be wrong because it can be a violation of a person's privacy, and on the other I feel it is the state's duty to protect its citizens however it can. Thankfully it isn't here so I don't have to worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I can see the reasoning behind it. On one hand I feel it might be wrong because it can be a violation of a person's privacy, and on the other I feel it is the state's duty to protect its citizens however it can. Thankfully it isn't here so I don't have to worry about it.
    The "however it can" part is a big question mark; afterall, the biggest threat to citizens may be the state itself.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

"We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by typo View Post
    The "however it can" part is a big question mark; afterall, the biggest threat to citizens may be the state itself.
    It's funny how much people fear and distrust the state, especially in this country. I thought the purpose of living in a republic was that the state was "by the people, for the people". America should stop pretending to foster the principles of freedom and democracy if we are really such a big totalitarian regime.

Of course, nobody ever questions the capitalists who promote this fear. I guess getting gouged at the pump or having your job outsourced to China isn't as tyrannical.

heart on fire

It's funny how much people fear and distrust the state, especially in this country. I thought the purpose of living in a republic was that the state was "by the people, for the people". America should stop pretending to foster the principles of freedom and democracy if we are really such a big totalitarian regime.

Of course, nobody ever questions the capitalists who promote this fear. I guess getting gouged at the pump or having your job outsourced to China isn't as tyrannical.
    But don't the capitalist in our country actually run our political machine through their contributions to political campaigns and the favors owed them?

Were men like Thomas Jefferson wrong in thinking that there would never be a time when people could relax and totally trust their government?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    But don't the capitalist in our country actually run our political machine through their contributions to political campaigns and the favors owed them?

Were men like Thomas Jefferson wrong in thinking that there would never be a time when people could relax and totally trust their government?
    It's one thing to question the government and be active in it. It's another to sit at home and preach how it is the plague of humanity. Which do you think Jefferson would have advocated? The latter seems to be the choice of most Americans.

We have handed the keys of this country over to big business. When the government will bail out a bank but give a big "up yours" to the home owners who were screwed by said bank, it demonstrates where this government's priorities really are. However, that doesn't change the fact that if the people wanted to, they could retake the government and push this country though reform. The problem is the people don't want to because they are more afraid of the government than they are of the big money that is controlling it.