User Tag List

First 678910 Last

No I wasn't being ironic.

Think of the benifits, someones murdered and has skin tags under thier nails, but theres no DNA for them on file, you just have to wait till you find them and match it. Leaving them clear to kill again an again.

If every one was DNA printed at birth for example, no predudice, Every-one. Then you know who did it in a few days, before they do it again.

Oberon

Okay, let's say everybody's DNA records go on file. How long would it take for, say, the health insurance industry to lobby for access to those records? Then once your insurer knows that one of your grandparents carried a genetic marker for Hodgkin's disease, or breast cancer, or Huntington's chorea, or just high cholesterol, what do you think will happen to your access to health care?

And do not even tell me that such records would be kept confidential.

Then the imperfect peeps will be charged higher prices and us perfect peeps will be given free health cover! JK

But they could do that already surely by looking through family records (we get free healthcare here in the UK).

However I strongly suspect they have it all anyway, after all they do tests on new borns that could give them DNA.

We give the government lots of information that we have to, and just trust its not misused. Hows this any differnt?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by mooky View Post
    We give the government lots of information that we have to, and just trust its not misused. Hows this any differnt?
    I don't accept the premise of your question.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Okay, let's say everybody's DNA records go on file. How long would it take for, say, the health insurance industry to lobby for access to those records? Then once your insurer knows that one of your grandparents carried a genetic marker for Hodgkin's disease, or breast cancer, or Huntington's chorea, or just high cholesterol, what do you think will happen to your access to health care?

And do not even tell me that such records would be kept confidential.
    Sounds more like a problem with the health care industry. Perhaps a good reason not to have a very privatized system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Sounds more like a problem with the health care industry. Perhaps a good reason not to have a very privatized system.
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, it's the health care systems in the UK and Canada that have begun limiting the access of older patients to the more involved procedures.

So restricting access on the basis of patient profiles is as much a public issue as a private one. I don't see how moving US health care into the public sector would help.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Not only they should go ahead with this system, they should tag the risky children with the name "Oedipus" as well. Fun times.

-_-
    Not really.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, it's the health care systems in the UK and Canada that have begun limiting the access of older patients to the more involved procedures.

So restricting access on the basis of patient profiles is as much a public issue as a private one. I don't see how moving US health care into the public sector would help.
    It's selfish of old people to want medical procedures. They should just die for the good of the collective.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    We don't have a very privatized system in the United States. The federal government spends 40% of the money spent on health care in the country every year. It's a hodgepodge of government, employer, and private spending in that industry. And the government has the potential for far greater malice with access to private medical records by its nature.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's selfish of old people to want medical procedures. They should just die for the good of the collective.
    The line forms at the Soylent Green plant. If we hurry we won't have to wait!