Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    DNA database plans for children who 'could become criminals'

By Simon Johnson
    Last Updated: 2:36am GMT 18/03/2008

Primary school children should be put on the national DNA database if their behaviour suggests they will become criminals, a senior Scotland Yard expert said yesterday.
    To be honest I am not really surprised, it was not long ago a senior judge called for all UK residents and visitors to be required to provide a DNA sample to help police solve crimes. The government were more or less forced to dismiss they have any DNA database extension plans.

You also have to remember this is the same government that was insistent on introducing compulsory biometric ID cards. It was only recently they had to backtrack on their identity cards plans, after it lost 25 million child benefit records, on discs "worth up to £1.5bn" to criminals. The government is now allowing people to use passports or driving licences instead of ID cards. The proposed biometric data was cut back to just fingerprints.

The government in Britain needs to remember the famous case from the last time Britain had ID cards. In 1950, Clarence Henry Willcock was stopped while driving in London by police constable. He was asked to present his Identity Card within 48 hours. He refused, reputedly saying 'I am a Liberal, and I am against this sort of thing'. He was prosecuted, and fined.

Mr. Willcock appealed, Willcock vs Muckle. Although he lost the appeal, the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, spoke out against the continued use of compulsory Identity Cards and commented that they "tend to make people resentful of the acts of the police". The comments are thought to have influenced Winston Churchill's decision to scrap compulsory national Identity Cards in 1952.

Falcarius goes off to put on the BBC 2, so he can watch Prime Minister's Questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    "Liberty; it's only worth the effort you put in to keep it." -Kiddo 2008
    Kiddo, like most rational people, your opinions are heavily influenced by your life experience. You just haven't yet experienced the downside of big government, and perhaps even lack the frame of reference to see it as a downside.

I hope you are able to retain that naivete for as long as you live.

MBTI
    GONE

In theory, I wouldn't mind a national DNA registry. It would actually be useful in the case of 'missing and exploited children' (the way some parents opt to get their children fingerprinted for worst case scenarios), accidents, etc. and make it harder for people to commit crime and go uncaught.

However 1) You should never ever completely trust your government 100% and you should never hand over carte blanche to them. Only fascists and dictators want you to submit blindly 100% to the will of authority. Governence only works when authority comes from the will of the people (meaning all the people, not just the ones with money and connections and degrees) and there are checks and balances and busy bodies keeping an eye on the eye keeping an eye on you.

Also in this particular case, only asking for DNA of 'potential criminals' OMG, just start the eugenics program now. Please. Can we round up all the poor and/or brown people now and just pre-emptively ship them to an island where they can't possibly harm the golden ones? (Oh wait...I think that's kinda already happening

First, how are you gonna choose the 'potential criminals?'

Second, how can you basically convict them before they do anything?

Third, how are you gonna give the police easy patsies and false leads by giving them people in a geographic area around a crime as a 'likely suspect'

It's bad enough talk about prejudice and lasting stigma against the formerly incarcerated -- but dang, to do the same thing to people because they might one day become formerly incarcerated peoples. Wow.

This reminds me somewhat of the discussion on sexual offender registries.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

DNA database plans for children who 'could become criminals'

By Simon Johnson
    Last Updated: 2:36am GMT 18/03/2008

Primary school children should be put on the national DNA database if their behaviour suggests they will become criminals, a senior Scotland Yard expert said yesterday.
    I think if they are gonna do it they need to DNA print every body; look at all the crimes that they have had DNA on for years and only recently solved because someones sister got her DNA on record, etc.

I would be happy to give my DNA and my childerens for the safety that would provide, in ID-ing them should the worst happen or if they ever did any thing unspeckabile than seeing them punished for it.

After all if you dont do any thing wrong you have nothing to fear......right?

Acually im gonna change that to "I THINK I would be happy to give" etc

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by mooky View Post
    - Lavrenti Pavlovich Beria, 1938

(and I'm not kidding. If you don't know who Beria was, you might want to look him up online.)

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    - Lavrenti Pavlovich Beria, 1938

(and I'm not kidding. If you don't know who Beria was, you might want to look him up online.)
    Makes me wonder about mankind, things like that...............food for thought

heart on fire

Is this meant to be ironic?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You do realize that what they're talking about is similar to the system in the Minority Report, right? It doesn't matter what you've done. What matters is what they think you might do.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

Is this meant to be ironic?
    That's a phrase that looms large in The Gulag Archipelago: "If you have done nothing wrong, comrade, you have nothing to fear."