First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Dear god, what a terrible idea. It's just asking for a rash of self-fulfilling prophecies. If kids are growing up knowing that the government is tracking them because they are considered potential criminals, do you think that they're ever going to feel as if the government is on their side? No, I guarantee that they're going to feel like the government is a force which is out to get them. This already occurs quite often, and it causes all kinds of trouble, so multiplying the problem by causing people to feel this way from their childhood is going to create more problems than it solves.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Back to the topic at hand! Why is any of this proof that a Gattica type DNA database for little children is a good idea?
    Well I do love to play the devil's advocate.

The statistics support such an endeavor. Psychologists and sociologists have been studying the initial signs of deviancy forever. Not to mention that such databases have been utilized for sexual offenders. If it could protect people in the long run, then just the fear of the state misusing it, violation of privacy, and labeling are the only justifications people could really think of for not having a powerful tool for preemptively protecting society. Considering the current level of apathy among citizens in this country, I think now would be a fantastic time to start initiating such programs here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    The statistics support such an endeavor. Psychologists and sociologists have been studying the initial signs of deviancy forever. Not to mention that such databases have been utilized for sexual offenders. If it could protect people in the long run, then just the fear of the state misusing it, violation of privacy, and labeling are the only justifications people could really think of for not having a powerful tool for preemptively protecting society. Considering the current level of apathy among citizens in this country, I think now would be a fantastic time to start initiating such programs here.

Just some minor problems. There's a famous quote that sums up my opinion: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety".
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Just some minor problems. There's a famous quote that sums up my opinion: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety".
    A Benjamin Franklin quote? Why must I be surrounded by libertarians in this thread? Honestly, it gets tiresome hearing long dead founding fathers quoted over and over.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*ahem* May I ask again why so many iNtuitives are looking to the past to explain the present?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

heart on fire

Because there aren't that many inspirational quotes about liberty today...*sigh*

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

true- that's why we should probably get to coming up with some!

heart- thank you!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    true- that's why we should probably get to coming up with some!

heart- thank you!
    How bout...

"Liberty; it's only worth the effort you put in to keep it." -Kiddo 2008

Also, an interesting thing to think about. Nobody is born into this world as an individual. People grow into individuals.

Frankly, I believe the individual rights vs. safety discussion is irrelavent in this issue.

For me, it is more a question of stigmatizing/stereotyping kids at a young age as criminals. The fact that it is the gov't doing it is only incidental. Even if a private firm were doing it for different reasons, but still stigmatizing children, I would be opposed to it.

In a lot of these cases (in my opinion, also in things like IQ and personality types), things become self-fulfilling prophecies due to the mindsets created by the people who are stereotyped and those who do the stereotyping.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield