User Tag List

First 1234 Last

heart on fire

What does voter apathy have to do with the merits of a DNA database that threatens privacy? Why would the capitalists be the ones spreading the fear about it? Wouldn't they be the ones pushing for it in a virtual plutocracy?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    It's one thing to question the government and be active in it. It's another to sit at home and preach how it is the plague of humanity. Which do you think Jefferson would have advocated? The latter seems to be the choice of most Americans.
    Hyperbole

We have handed the keys of this country over to big business. When the government will bail out a bank but give a big "up yours" to the home owners who were screwed by said bank, it demonstrates where this government's priorities really are.
    This would diverge into an entirely separate subject, but the government shouldn't be bailing out anyone. Homeowners weren't screwed. Banks weren't screwed. They were all idiots.

However, that doesn't change the fact that if the people wanted to, they could retake the government and push this country though reform. The problem is the people don't want to because they are more afraid of the government than they are of the big money that is controlling it.
    They're not more afraid of government. Most people aren't afraid of government, at all. Why do you think government keeps getting more and more power? Because people are idiots and vote for people in the pocket of big business.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What does voter apathy have to do with the merits of a DNA database that threatens privacy? Why would the capitalists be the ones spreading the fear about it? Wouldn't they be the ones pushing for it in a virtual plutocracy?
    Even if voters are apathetic with their political votes, so long as their not apathetic with their wallets, the people will tend to choose who is wealthy. Bill Gates might be more representative of our "votes" than anyone in Congress.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I was only responding to your particular post. Capitalists won't see much money from a DNA data bank, so they don't have a motivation to go one way or another with it. In fact, it would be to their benefit to argue against it so as to promote further fear in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Hyperbole
    Oh? How so?

This would diverge into an entirely separate subject, but the government shouldn't be bailing out anyone. Homeowners weren't screwed. Banks weren't screwed. They were all idiots.
    Put faith in the free market that created this crisis? :rolleyes2:

They're not more afraid of government. Most people aren't afraid of government, at all. Why do you think government keeps getting more and more power? Because people are idiots and vote for people in the pocket of big business.
    Do you ever listen to the media or go on the internet? People are terrified of the government. They listen to people who claim that a "free market" is the answer to their fears and so they vote for those who push for that creed. People are voting in big business. Bush is oil. Cheney is oil. Once they get into office, they use the government to push the market in their favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    It's funny how much people fear and distrust the state, especially in this country. I thought the purpose of living in a republic was that the state was "by the people, for the people". America should stop pretending to foster the principles of freedom and democracy if we are really such a big totalitarian regime.

Of course, nobody ever questions the capitalists who promote this fear. I guess getting gouged at the pump or having your job outsourced to China isn't as tyrannical.
    The state is the antithesis of freedom, because it is a rule by force and not by voluntary exchange. Capitalists tend to like voluntary exchange, because it is one way to get rich; the only other known way is to plunder (i.e. taxes).

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by typo View Post
    The state is the antithesis of freedom, because it is a rule by force and not by voluntary exchange. Capitalists tend to like voluntary exchange, because it is one way to get rich; the only other known way is to plunder (i.e. taxes).
    Ayn Rand vomited, libertarian crap.

This kind of borderline anarchist, "the government is coercing me into paying my taxes at gun point," reasoning is just indicative of people who value individual rights above all else.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddon't View Post
    Oh? How so?
    Read the statement I quoted. It should be obvious, but since it isn't obvious to you, for whatever reason, I'll just point it out. Sit at home, preaching? Plague of humanity? That's called hyperbole.

Put faith in the free market that created this crisis? :rolleyes2:
    You think we have a free market? Hahahahahahaha.

Do you ever listen to the media or go on the internet? People are terrified of the government. They listen to people who claim that a "free market" is the answer to their fears and so they vote for those who push for that creed. People are voting in big business. Bush is oil. Cheney is oil. Once they get into office, they use the government to push the market in their favor.
    Right, the media. They're not known for sensationalizing at all (that's sarcasm). I don't know a single person who is terrified of the government. Distrustful? Sure, but terrified? Nope. Not at all. I don't believe your BS about most people being terrified. Unless you're able to provide me with real data showing that most people are terrified of the government, I'll continue to dismiss your point.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Right, the media. They're not known for sensationalizing at all (that's sarcasm). I don't know a single person who is terrified of the government. Distrustful? Sure, but terrified? Nope. Not at all. I don't believe your BS about most people being terrified. Unless you're able to provide me with real data showing that most people are terrified of the government, I'll continue to dismiss your point.
    INTJCentral. All the proof you ever need.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddon't View Post
    people who value individual rights above all else.
    Individuals ARE the owners of rights, and the government is supposed to be the guarantor of them. It has done a pretty crap job recently, don't you think?

Also, Thomas Jefferson would have totally happy with someone sitting at home and decrying the state as a plague. It is within everyone's natural rights to do so, and not everyone can or should be involved in politics. He was one of the most consistent advocates of limited government of his time. You think he'd look upon the current Democratic or Republican parties fondly?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Criminals is a vague sort of definition...violence prone? How about politically active too? Or just different? This is eugenics with a much more viable justification. You have DNA proof for this? How long before it is simply obviated by analyzing future criminals in utero?

How about simply inconvenient for the state to deal with like an economic measure? I can hear the justifications already "This sort of crime cost us X number of pounds a per annum, by identifying these cost at an early stage we can control expenditure through treatment..."
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king